Seriously Though!?

Options
tsw413
tsw413 Posts: 12 Member
Every time I think about losing weight I immediately feel hopeless and like I can't do it! Please tell me there are other people out there who feel that way...and that we can support each other through this process!

Replies

• PigHerder
    PigHerder Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yup - Success Stories is seriously addictive!
  • jpatenaude15
    jpatenaude15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I absolutely know how you feel! I have been struggling to lose weight since the beginning of time! Let's do this!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Getting started was the hardest part in my opinion.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't set a goal of "I'm going to do a 5k this weekend" if you've never done a 5k. Do something small you can do every day. Maybe "I'm going to walk around the block every day this week." And when you can do that every day, "I'm going to walk around 2 blocks every day."

Think of it more as "attendance" goals rather than "accomplishment" goals.

And think of why you're doing this. IMO if your "why" doesn't resonate, then it won't work. It doesn't matter what other people think of your why, you don't have to tell anyone. But it needs to be something that resonates with YOU.
  • cgibson522
    cgibson522 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think about it in small increments. I ultimately want to lose about 20 lbs but that seems too daunting. My goal at the moment is 5 pounds which feels doable in the next month or so. I can see real progress to that goal but don't feel the same about moving towards the 20lb goal.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're probably right.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    cgibson522 wrote: »
    I think about it in small increments. I ultimately want to lose about 20 lbs but that seems too daunting. My goal at the moment is 5 pounds which feels doable in the next month or so. I can see real progress to that goal but don't feel the same about moving towards the 20lb goal.

Same here! I have 37lbs more to lose, but I am focusing right now on how many pounds I want to lose until my birthday next month, and it is really motivating because it's almost within reach!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Your most recent non-scale victories discussion is also fabulous and inspirational: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv#latest
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,591 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Ooh, yes! Love that discussion of non-scale victories!

It does seem hard when you think about how much there is to do. I have been working on this all year. I started with 125 pounds to lose, and found that overwhelming. After months of changing one habit at a time and making better choices one meal at a time, I only have 62 pounds to go. So I get the overwhelm, but I hope you persist on the journey!

We have a great group you are welcome to join -- daily checkins (how are doing on the actions that will make a difference -- food, water, exercise), weekly weigh-ins, lots of support as we all work on this:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group

Also, there's a blog section, and some of record stories as we go, and those can be inspirational. Here's a link to my favorite (linking to the first entry):
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/The_Movie_Chair/view/the-empty-chair-beside-me-909153
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ata1anta wrote: »
    Don't set a goal of "I'm going to do a 5k this weekend" if you've never done a 5k. Do something small you can do every day. Maybe "I'm going to walk around the block every day this week." And when you can do that every day, "I'm going to walk around 2 blocks every day."

Think of it more as "attendance" goals rather than "accomplishment" goals.

And think of why you're doing this. IMO if your "why" doesn't resonate, then it won't work. It doesn't matter what other people think of your why, you don't have to tell anyone. But it needs to be something that resonates with YOU.

/thread

^^ There is so much good advice in this. Do you floss your teeth? (Yes! I take care of my teeth!) Then take care of the rest of you. And it doesn't have to be every day. Start small. And keep going...
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I didnt start for so long because I was afraid of failing, again. So I started small, and those little victories helped spur me forward. Here I am six months into it and feeling like I'm treading water again, so back to the basics! You are not alone - you got this!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    tsw413 wrote: »
    Every time I think about losing weight I immediately feel hopeless and like I can't do it! Please tell me there are other people out there who feel that way...and that we can support each other through this process!

When some people think of losing weight - in their minds they equate that to eating a whole lot less, making wholesale changes to what they eat, and some big level of exercise is required.

That can all seem daunting - so it seems like huge hurdle, and in current state think not worth it, or give up on it all after a short time.

Really though - if you have been slowly gaining, like over the year or years you have noticed a slight increase in fat weight - then you merely need to start moving a little more, and eating a little less.

Find maybe 500 calories worth of something in your normal daily eating routine that you can leave out - don't even have to log your food frankly. Just look up what you do eat already to get some ideas.
    If you have high-fat items you like, perhaps eating half of those items can add up quickly.
    If you want to improve nutrition too, perhaps leave something totally out and replace with some vegetables/fruit you can sustain in eating.

And then find 250 calories worth of additional activity you can do almost daily - perhaps a 30 min fast walk, perhaps shorter walk and some resistance exercise.

So many make wholesale changes to both things, and end up creating this huge deficit that the body doesn't like and adapts to in a bad way, creating an issue of adhering to the changes not really desired in the first place.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Look at others succeeding and it is catching! Nothing is stopping you but you!
    What people or past experiences are whispering in your ear?
  • adamwatt305
    adamwatt305 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Getting started was the hardest as I had so many bad habits in my diet that came to be routine and I didn’t even realise I was doing it until I put on a lot of weight.

But I just keep thinking it’s a marathon not a sprint I’ve made a lot of small changes to my diet and I’m already seeing results. If it happened overnight everyone would be a picture of health.