What do you do?

Options
If your planning on going out to eat at a resturant say for dinner how do you accomodate for the extra calories that will inevitably be consumed cause you are eating out? Ex. I am planning to go to dinner at olive garden..if i eat a salad and 1/2 a plate of spaghetti it will put me over my calorie alotment for the day..how do i plan for this without having to add even more exercize to an already too busy day? do i just chalk it up to a special occasion and not worry about being over every once in a while? or do i accomodate by skipping meals during the day? or what do i do?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    do i just chalk it up to a special occasion and not worry about being over every once in a while?

This is what I would do.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym first!
  • bobbie228
    Options
    do i just chalk it up to a special occasion and not worry about being over every once in a while?

This is what I would do.

I'll second this post! I also make sure I still do my regular exercise for that day!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's one day, it won't hurt.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'd just chalk it up as a special occasion and not worry about it to be honest. I'd stick to my regular eating habits for the rest of the day and do my normal exercise.
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can have free meals, just not every day
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I drink one glass of water before I go to dinner, then try to keep sipping water before the meal comes. I don't order anything except an entree and I DON'T order carbs as much as I can help it. Then I only eat half. Avoid white/cream sauces.. Those are made with heavy cream. Also eat slow, have a good conversation.

Hope that helps!
  • IAMQUEEN
    IAMQUEEN Posts: 52
    Options
    I will go to the gym before I go.

Also, checking out the restaurant menu helps! If you can make up your mind before you go its easier to not overindulge.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    If you go over it isnt the end of the world but if you know ahead of time where and when you are going out then eat lighter dont skip meals but eat a lighter meal instead.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One special day is something that I would chalk up - but no more than once a week. Otherwise... I hit the gym (I know... you have a busy schedule) or I plan ahead. All veggie lunch, protein bar (watch the calories). Also... check out the menu beforehand. It does look like you have done this, but you may want to scope out some of their healthier options rather than just your favorite Olive Garden meal. Soup, Salad and breadsticks (hold the bread) can be a much better calorie wise than spaghetti. However you decide, enjoy the celebration of getting to go out.
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    If you know well in advance, try to save some cals from the days leading up to the big , meal, then you hopefully will balance out over the week, once in a while it's ok to go over, , IAMQUEEN had great advise too, a look at the menu before you go will arm you to make the best choices....Good luck and enjoy...:flowerforyou:
  • Visser1971
    Visser1971 Posts: 131
    Options
    I would chalk it up too, but since you posted this you may be looking for ideas too. I went to the Olive Garden website and they have a page on Nutrition with all of the calorie counts. Looks like someone else just mentioned the same :-)

There are a few dishes that are reasonable in calories that you can select ahead of time knowing what the count is:

http://www.olivegarden.com/Menu/Nutrition/

I hope this helps. Most restaurants are doing this I think.

Cheers, Christy
  • scottrey
    scottrey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You could just eat the salad and 1/3 of the plate of spaghetti. 90% of your enjoyment comes from the first two bites of a food item anyway.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When my father-in-law wanted to take my wife & I to the Melting Pot (a fondue restaurant) for dinner (which can be well over 1000 calories) we just exercised big time that day and has SUPER light breakfast and lunch. We were starving by the time dinner rolled around, but it was worth it. We had a great time and were able to stay under calories for the day.
  • AmazingStace
    AmazingStace Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I ask for a to-go box when my meal is served. I box half of it up and only eat what's left on my plate. No appetizers or desserts. And I always plan before I go if I know where we're going by looking up the nutritional information and choosing my food ahead of time. I've found being planned and boxing up what I shouldn't eat helps a lot.
  • Butterfly3081
    Butterfly3081 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! It helped immensely!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    going over everyonce in a while is not a bad thing just dont make it a regular habit. everybody needs a treat and a day to relax! :) if i know i am going to eat more at a certain meal i either workout more during the day or i try to consume lower calorie options at my other meals so i have some extra calories to use. othertimes i just eat over my calories and enjoy the occasion. one day wont kill you or derail your efforts
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    going over everyonce in a while is not a bad thing just dont make it a regular habit. everybody needs a treat and a day to relax! :) if i know i am going to eat more at a certain meal i either workout more during the day or i try to consume lower calorie options at my other meals so i have some extra calories to use. othertimes i just eat over my calories and enjoy the occasion. one day wont kill you or derail your efforts

you could also drink a glass of water first, eat salad with light dressing or try eating a light soup first that way you are not as hungry when your higher calorie meal comes and you dont eat it all. also many people have the waitress bag up half of your food before they bring it to you since portions can be so big at resteraunts and you are then not tempted to eat it all. i also ask them to not bring the bread basket to my table. hope this helps :)
  • bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What I would do? Don't go, stay home and cook a well portioned and calorie conscious dinner. Even for special occasions. It's cheaper, healthier, and I find myself a better cook than most restaurant chefs (high class restaurants excluded).

The wife and I go out to eat less than once in two weeks. I love cooking so the choice is easy.

But when I do go out, I try and stay calorie conscious. Review menu nutritional facts before you go and be prepared. It's ok too go overboard by a couple hundred calories every now and again, but know that it's competing against your weight loss battle. And by all means don't eat thousands of calories over, which is a lot easier to do than a lot of people think.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    If I know I will be dining out, I don't eat anything all day and save the 1000 calories for the restaurant.