Diabetes/keto question

Options
Hello all! I was diagnosed as pre diabetic about 6 months ago but through losing weight and eating healthy I am no longer in a dangerous pre diabetic zone but I am having problems with my blood sugar dropping. My current diet plan is not keto exactly, but it is low carb. Every now and then when my blood sugar drops, it's hard to find something sugary that isn't loaded with carbs. Any advice on sugary foods or drinks that are low carb? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SierraMC15
    SierraMC15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate. I'm confused.
    Thanks for the input! I didn't know this.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    When you say low carb, how many carbs are you eating per day? Low carb can be anywhere up to 150g per day, so if you are having trouble with blood sugar dropping, you may want to consider increasing carbs in small increments until you find your sweet spot.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    SierraMC15 wrote: »

Okay, good, glad I didn't assume wrong. When you look at a nutrition label, it'll have total carbohydrates, then sugar and fiber. The total carbohydrates part is basically sugar+fiber+non-sugar carbohydrates. That can help you make a better decision about which foods will help your blood sugar, as fiber won't impact it like sugar will. Your doctor might be able to give you a list of foods that would be good in times when your blood sugar drops.

Edit: A friend of mine who's T1 is a fan of keeping gummies around as a low-calorie option for blood sugar management.
  • SierraMC15
    SierraMC15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Okay, good, glad I didn't assume wrong. When you look at a nutrition label, it'll have total carbohydrates, then sugar and fiber. The total carbohydrates part is basically sugar+fiber+non-sugar carbohydrates. That can help you make a better decision about which foods will help your blood sugar, as fiber won't impact it like sugar will. Your doctor might be able to give you a list of foods that would be good in times when your blood sugar drops.

Edit: A friend of mine who's T1 is a fan of keeping gummies around as a low-calorie option for blood sugar management.
    Thanks! I'll definitely try that
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Congrats on leaving the pre-diabetic zone :)

I turned to snacks that do not rapidly change blood sugar (protein shake or greek yogurt or celery and salt or cheese stick or jerky) and these seem to "even things out" for me.

Best wishes for continued success!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Those with insulin resistance in the form of prediabetes will not experience blood glucose levels dropping too low unless they are injecting too much insulin.

Wrong. BG drops can happen to anyone including T2Dm even without taking any medication or insulin. I have had numbers in the 70's which are really dangerous for me. I keep some glucose tabs in my purse and in the little ditty bag I take to the pool when I am swimming my laps. I rarely need them but I HAVE needed them.

Why are the 70s dangerous for you? I aim to stay in the 70s to 90s. That's a fairly healthy BG for people.

I used to get shaky at 70-90 but that was the reactive hypoglycemia. I treated it with diet and now lower BG feels fine.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Those with insulin resistance in the form of prediabetes will not experience blood glucose levels dropping too low unless they are injecting too much insulin.

Wrong. BG drops can happen to anyone including T2Dm even without taking any medication or insulin. I have had numbers in the 70's which are really dangerous for me. I keep some glucose tabs in my purse and in the little ditty bag I take to the pool when I am swimming my laps. I rarely need them but I HAVE needed them.

70 is the bottom of normal. If you're used to having constantly high blood sugar, normal can feel like you're dying at first, but 70 should not be dangerous, except in that it's close to the threshold of being low.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I was diagnosed as pre diabetic about 6 months ago but through losing weight and eating healthy I am no longer in a dangerous pre diabetic zone but I am having problems with my blood sugar dropping. My current diet plan is not keto exactly, but it is low carb. Every now and then when my blood sugar drops, it's hard to find something sugary that isn't loaded with carbs. Any advice on sugary foods or drinks that are low carb? Thanks in advance!

One question, how do you judge that your blood sugar is dropping? Are you testing it, or do you feel unwell in some specific way?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I'm happy you are working on getting better health. As has already been mentioned sugar is a carb. Are you checking your blood sugar? How are you determining that it is low?

Typically with low blood sugar, it is a good idea to get a range of nutrients, something sugary will take care of the immediate need, but not for longer-term needs. For example, a piece of cheese (or peanut butter) with crackers. The crackers will be faster digested and absorbed, and the cheese will take a little longer, this will give you longer overall coverage so that it isn't dropping again right after the faster acting carb wears off.

Have you been working with a registered dietician? It may be worth your time to get a referral. They can walk you through any dietary changes that may be needed.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Why are the 70s dangerous for you? I aim to stay in the 70s to 90s. That's a fairly healthy BG for people.

I used to get shaky at 70-90 but that was the reactive hypoglycemia. I treated it with diet and now lower BG feels fine.

Because when I get into the 70's I get really bad shakes and come close to passing out. My normal is in the 90's.
  • lollitakennedy
    lollitakennedy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have heard having cottage cheese available will help with low blood sugar problems. Ask a dietician.