What do you do if you’re spouse likes junk food?

Options
I’ve been trying to lose weight. I don’t buy junk food when I shop for groceries. My husband, on the other hand, when his cravings kick in, he will go and get some ice cream or donuts. Some of the leftovers just laying around and it’s very tempting. I told him to hide them, but his reason was that’s why he works out so that he can eat donuts. Ugghhh... sometimes I gave in and eat a bowl of ice cream, then I feel guilty later. :-(

Replies

• layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was really craving something sweet yesterday so I had a large piece of cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. Mmmm so satisfying and I am happy now I have had my treat. I logged it as my dinner as it was a calorie bomb and it was very filling. Its no big issue to me as I was within my calorie goal. Why don't you allow yourself 'junk' as you call it, as long as it fits your calorie goal for the day/week. I couldn't have lost and maintained my current weight without allowing myself food I enjoy. Can you really imagine spending your whole life never ever eating chocolate or crisps etc (whatever you class as junk food). As long as you are getting enough nutrients and within your calorie goal you will lose weight and do it in a healthy way (mindset and body). Allow yourself the treats just be sensible and never ever feel guilty. Its just food.

Edited for spelling
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    clartius wrote: »
    I’ve been trying to lose weight. I don’t buy junk food when I shop for groceries. My husband, on the other hand, when his cravings kick in, he will go and get some ice cream or donuts. Some of the leftovers just laying around and it’s very tempting. I told him to hide them, but his reason was that’s why he works out so that he can eat donuts. Ugghhh... sometimes I gave in and eat a bowl of ice cream, then I feel guilty later. :-(

It is stressful I know. I have similar happening in my house. I do try to explain not to buy at first place, but since my husband is the one shopping and we have kids, so there is not much control on what we shop.

How about you eat ice cream too but with lots of fruits, you eat small piece of chocolate, you eat half a donut with tea( I like my tea without sugar), hot skimmed milk, or some healthy drink

I normally reduce quantity of high calorie food and eat with some healthy side. So I don’t feel left out, I don’t need to stress why is it in front of me, I don’t overeat it.

But it would be nice if hubby keeps his junk food in his car or a special box near his telly sit!!
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have totally different diets and preferences. If he wants to eat a Pizza Hut pizza AND a tray of pasta for dinner, he just... does. And I do me. Though we have a lot more common points now than when I was on very low carb, and I do indulge in his goodies copiously sometimes (ice-cream, chocolate, cookies, everything really), but they go straight to the diary.

That being said, I think it's hard restricting what you eat and I totally understand how him stashing away the leftovers would help. And it's just a tiny extra effort on his behalf. On the other hand, I tend to agree with the posters above about the power of will - I think in the long run, you will do yourself a lot more favors trying to live with donuts in sight without overindulging, than in a clean house.