What do you do if you’re spouse likes junk food?

Options

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Ask him to support you or find a way to make it fit into your calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I don't think of food in terms of junk food, but if you're meaning things like crisps/chocolate etc, I still eat them most days, but I fit them into my macros/calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Are you planning to give up on these foods forever?
    You can fit it in your calorie goal and eat it if you want it. Eat a smaller portion. Exercise a bit more to have more calories. Choose a slower more comfortable rate of loss and eat more foods you enjoy.
    If you don't want it but like something sweet then buy or make something you like that fits your goals better.

When you live or work around other people they are going to have their own food you will not control. You choose how you deal with it. Don't feel guilty for eating food. You didn't do anything bad eating ice cream instead of broccoli. It is just food with a different number of calories and nutrients. Guilt over eating is unproductive. You do not have to be a perfect dieter to lose weight. Log it and move on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    We have a cabinet high above the refrigerator (well out of my wife's reach and sight) where I stash my peanut butter, chocolate candies, and whatever other foods she has trouble controlling her impulses with. She knows there's "goodies" up there, but the fact that she would have to go out to the garage and get a stepladder to get to them is enough of a deterrent from impulsively eating them like she would if they were readily accessible in the pantry. Plus, she doesn't know exactly what is up there (sometimes it's just protein bars, which she despises), so it makes it even less worth all the trouble to only discover nothing she'd really want anyway.

Fortunately she's not at all a fan of the low-cal ice cream I eat on a pretty much nightly basis (Enlightened and/or Chilly Cow), so that's safe in the freezer - she won't touch it even at her bingiest of bingy times.

Another vote for OP's husband hiding his foods that trigger her.

Really, that's not to much to ask.
  • stacimarie1015
    stacimarie1015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1st understand that food is not 'good' or 'bad'. If you choose to have ice cream, or a donut, or whatever, account for it in your daily calories. Not a big deal.

If its hard for you to have a lesser amount of his junk food, get things that DO fit. Try Halo Top ice cream. Depending on the flavor, its 240-360 cals for the pint.
    clartius wrote: »
    I’ve been trying to lose weight. I don’t buy junk food when I shop for groceries. My husband, on the other hand, when his cravings kick in, he will go and get some ice cream or donuts. Some of the leftovers just laying around and it’s very tempting. I told him to hide them, but his reason was that’s why he works out so that he can eat donuts. Ugghhh... sometimes I gave in and eat a bowl of ice cream, then I feel guilty later. :-(

• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I learned how to deal with it. My fiance has a thing with Taco Bell, Slim Jims, and candy. After awhile it got to the point that seeing it doesn't bother me anymore. It took about a month for it not to phase me.