Achilles Tendonitis

Options
Got it in both legs, suggestions for low impact exercises? I have an exercise bike, but don't suggest swimming cause I can't get to a pool regularly. Really need some help because I am going to go crazy without being able to run.

Replies

• carolinarollergirl
    Options
    Is it chronic pain or did you do something specific to hurt your knees?
  • Maredip
    Maredip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    when I had that last year in only one leg they had me do low impact things as well, if you can't get to the pool I'd stick with the bike, but maybe talk to your doc about aquatic therapy til it heals, it should help.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had a partial tear in one achilles years ago, so that one has always given me some trouble. For the past 2 month I have really increased my running and sports (soccer, football), and the right one has been sore every morning, and during/following exercising for about a month, and for the past week the left one has been doing the same thing.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Oh no - I had that about 5 years ago, but only in one ankle. Maybe you could try floor exercises... situps, push ups on your knees, sitting / kneeling while lifting arm weights, etc.
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    what about the ellitpical?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    what about shadow boxing? Cycling? just low impact walking on the Treadmill? 10 incline, 3.2 to start gradually increase incline to 15 and a 4.7 speed walk?
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    I have peronial tendonitis at the moment. 11 days of rest and I'm finally able to use both feet to walk normally (was limping prior to yesterday) When i went to the dr. he told me motrin and to say off any exercise that may require more activity on my feet. Sadly I haven't been to the gym in all this time. Just doing abs and weight work outs at my house. I was just doing shadow boxing, weights and abs for the most part. (if you have access to a pool my dr. recommended that but sadly I don't)

I'm thankful it's slowly getting better, but am going to have to ease back into physical activity on my foot probably in the early part of the upcoming week to make sure my foot can handle it. I know how you feel though!

ETA: just saw about the swimming in your post, seems like we are in the same boat. :-(
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have chronic achilles tendonitis, which means it flares up when I overtrain. I've been running for over 20 years and I've just learned to manage it. When I get a flareup I stop running and typically ride a stationary bike, elliptical, and strength train.

I've found that the key to keeping my tendonitis at bay is to really build up strong calves (in fact it's a great way to reduce healing time -- if I catch the tendonitis in early stages and do the rehab, I'm typically back to running with 10-14 days). Here is a video that shows you the exercise that I learned as part of my rehab and I continue to do it even when I don't have tendonitis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPfzTHpbAM&feature=related

Hope this helps!