WW and Orangetheory

Options
I recently joined Orangetheory (been at it 2 months, 3xs a week) and have been on WW for 2 years.
Before OT I lost 40 pounds and was not heavily working out. OT is an intense workout - since joining I have not dropped a pound & it is frustrating. I am trying to stick to WW but I feel they are not giving me enough cals to lose weight considering I am burning 500 + cals each workout.
Anyone have a similar experience and have advice?
Thank you.

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of WW. Actual calorie tracking is more useful than points. Are you also tracking here at all? If you make the switch, make sure you set your activity level to sedentary before adding on your workouts so you don't double count your calories.

OTF calorie counts are pretty accurate. I do OTF and the difference between their end of workout reports and my Apple Watch are pretty negligible and could be chalked up to HRM location (AppleWatch on wrist is less reliable than OTF HRM on upper-arm) and differences in formula variables (my weight in OTF is usually off a few pounds from what's in my apple Health Record.)
  • Kimmys_Big_50_2021
    Options
    Yes I do track on here. I just started doing that though and that is when I found out when I reach my points on WW I am not even at 1,000 cals on here - I eat clean - 90% of the time. I am not eating enough for sure to lose the weight I need. I will change my level to sedentary. I appreciate the feedback thank you.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kimmys41 wrote: »
    Yes I do track on here. I just started doing that though and that is when I found out when I reach my points on WW I am not even at 1,000 cals on here - I eat clean - 90% of the time. I am not eating enough for sure to lose the weight I need. I will change my level to sedentary. I appreciate the feedback thank you.

Eating "clean" doesn't have a set definition and doesn't relate to calories. It varies so much from person to person that it's meaningless. I could tell you I eat "clean" because a majority of our meat comes from hunting. Someone else could mean "clean" in that they avoid foods with ingredients they can't pronounce.

If you aren't reaching 1,000 calories either a) you are wrong or b) you are hurting yourself. Don't feel bad about A, everyone messes up in their diary, especially at the beginning. There are whole threads about how to properly log foods. The biggest thing is using a food scale and measuring items by weight (grams), not measuring cups or guesstimates. The second biggest thing is looking at the entries on the website and making sure they are accurate. For example, an entry for "1/4 cup pasta generic" with 1 confirmation is probably bogus. An entry for "Kashi GoLean Crunch Cereal - Honey Almond Flax" that has both the measurement in cups and grams and has 22 confirmations is trustworthy.

When I pack my lunch in the morning the food scale gets quite a workout and I type it all in the notes field of my phone for recording later. So a lunch might show as 150 g cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, 84 g strawberries, 75 g carrots, etc. The only place I skip weighing is prepackaged stuff (string cheese, yogurt cups). Some people do weigh those, but the difference is minimal enough and I'm happy enough with my results that I don't bother.

The other thing is we really mean "record everything". Fruit, veggies, sauces, etc. It all counts. It's not like WW where 100 calories of strawberries was somehow free but you'd lose points like crazy for 100 calories of ice cream.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    kimmys41 wrote: »

If that were true, you'd most likely be feeling a negative impact on your body after 2 months of strenuous work outs. Did your hunger increase with starting your new workout?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    " I am trying to stick to WW but I feel they are not giving me enough cals to lose weight" and " I am not eating enough for sure to lose the weight I need." are completely inaccurate statements, sorry. If you were truly only eating 1000 cals per day you'd be losing weight.

How much do you want to lose? Just curious given your profile pic.
  • katlipe
    katlipe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also in WW and go to Orange Theory 4-5 times a week. With WW, be sure and eat all your daily points and use some of your weekly points as well. I had gained some of my weight back when I moved but by tracking and doing OTF I have dropped 20 lbs this past year. It is 80% diet and 20% exercise so I believe in tracking my WW points each day and working out.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I'm not a WW or OT person but here are a few things I'd note, not sure if they apply to you. First, In my opinion the calorie burn estimates here on MFP are wildly inflated. For me, they seem about right when I cut them in half. Second, if you've lost 40 pounds, you'd need to re-calculate your TDEE to determine the amount of calories you should eat daily for your goals. You may want to do some strength training if you're not already and finally, it does get more difficult and slower the closer you get to your goal/ideal weight. From your photo, it doesn't appear that you have much to lose but that's your business -I'm just saying that's how it worked for me.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind there are no "zero point foods" on MFP, you must measure/weigh everything.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    Keep in mind there are no "zero point foods" on MFP, you must measure/weigh everything.

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am not a current WW member but am familiar with the program and have had success with it in the past. My eating style is similar but I track calories instead of points. After losing 40 pounds have you taken any diet breaks? Even a few days eating at maintenance might be good for you.

If you are getting closer to a healthy BMI your weight loss is going to slow down a bit. That’s normal. Increased activity can also cause water retention. Take an honest look back at your food log and note if you can find any areas where you could do better. Then focus on improving that one thing the following week.

Also take measurements. I had several weeks where I lost no weight but had lost an inch in my waist and hips.