Is this normal...

Options
Again, with a pregnancy question. I'm going on 22 weeks. I gained 4lbs in one week. And I'm sticking between 1700-2100 calories a day (up from my normal 1300-1500). Is this normal?

Replies

• tashajasmine
    tashajasmine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    there is a website I think its called babyfit.com check it out. I hear it is a lot like MFP but for women who are pregnant or nursing.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    It's normal to gain weight while pregnant. The baby is growing. You will gain more as the the baby grows.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    dont forget you retain more water while pregnant too
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    In addition, the amount of blood you have increases in your body (hence, higher blood pressure and a bit of weight).
  • statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Again, with a pregnancy question. I'm going on 22 weeks. I gained 4lbs in one week. And I'm sticking between 1700-2100 calories a day (up from my normal 1300-1500). Is this normal?

That sounds like a lot at your stage (from what I can remember). Are your feet swelling? Did you gain much last week? In the last 4-6 weeks you can gain up to two pounds per week. The only time I gained 4 lbs a week is when I got so bloated I couldn't fit into my shoes. Watch your sodium and keep drinking plenty of water. If you gain another 4 lbs next week, call your doctor.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I sure hope you're not "dieting" while pregnant. I have no idea what the nutritional plan for a pregnant woman should look like. Check with your doctor.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I sure hope you're not "dieting" while pregnant. I have no idea what the nutritional plan for a pregnant woman should look like. Check with your doctor.

This. Don't ask strangers on the internet what's normal. If you're concerned, ask your doc.
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    mmKay......I am just going to say...Why are you worried about your caloric intake while pregnant? I mean eat healthy for the baby....honestly yourself should be the last thing on your mind! That precious baby is what matters so.....Just stop worrying for the next few months....eat healthy.....dont eat junk....and worry about the weight after the baby is born
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options

That sounds completely normal to me and that seems like a good amount of calories because my OBGYN always told me I should try to add an extra 500 calories during the pregnancy. I gained every ounce in my last 4 weeks and my boy was perfectly healthy. be sure to ask ur doc to be sure tho. congrats!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    mmKay......I am just going to say...Why are you worried about your caloric intake while pregnant? I mean eat healthy for the baby....honestly yourself should be the last thing on your mind! That precious baby is what matters so.....Just stop worrying for the next few months....eat healthy.....dont eat junk....and worry about the weight after the baby is born

^^^^^^ Yes this!!
    Babies need lots of nurishment, worry about your weight afterwards. Eat healthy foods, exercise(walk or whatever you are already use to) for now.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there must be a nurses helpline you could call and ask.
  • Michelle9939
    Options

I couldn't have said it better myself. Don't count calories while pregnant.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Almost all medical experts condemn dieting during pregnancy. That’s because dieting can affect the quality of nutrition a baby receives. However, obese women have traditionally been encouraged to lose some weight or at least maintain their weight while pregnant. Is this wise advice?

Normal-Weight Women and Dieting
    Women who are not obese are not encouraged to go on a pregnancy diet in order to avoid having a negative impact on their baby cause by a lack of nutrition during pregnancy.

A study at the University of Southampton found that lower nutrition levels in pregnant women of average weight were linked to a greater thickness of their children’s arteries later in life. The children of women who had the lowest calorie intake had the thickest arteries, regardless of their mother’s weight, health, whether they smoked or whether they exercised during pregnancy. Also not important was whether the majority of calories came from fat, carbohydrates or protein.

Birth defects have also been linked to pregnancy diets. Dieting during pregnancy increases the risk of neural tube defects (NTDs), in which the spinal cord and brain don’t fully develop.

Obese Women and Dieting
    In the past, obese women were often advised to either reduce their weight during pregnancy or to maintain their pre-pregnancy weight, even though they tend not to gain as much weight during pregnancy as smaller women.

However, obese pregnant women are more likely to experience complications during pregnancy, including hypertension and gestational diabetes, and are more likely to require C-sections. Experts recommend obese women consider reducing their weight before trying to conceive, and not while they are pregnant.

While some doctors still encourage obese pregnant women to diet, most feel that it’s an old-fashioned practice that is moreover dangerous. Undernourished babies are more likely to be born prematurely and are often underweight, making them susceptible to serious health problems. Pregnancy diets also increase the risk of infant mortality.

Doctors recommend cutting out sugars and simple carbohydrates. Meals should be small and frequent in order to maintain a consistent energy level.

Lifestyle Diets and Pregnancy
    Most doctors agree that lifestyle or fad diets should not be followed while pregnant. Diets that stress a high protein intake and a low caloric intake, such as Atkins, have been linked to high levels of stress in offspring in their adult years. This raises the risk of high blood pressure and diabetes due to the increased level of the stress hormone, cortisol. However, some studies have found that a low carb, high protein diet increased good fat metabolism in babies and lowered levels of triglyceride, fatty acids found in the liver. If you are currently on the Atkins Diet, speak to your health car provider about whether you should maintain this diet during pregnancy.

Diets that recommend cutting down on caloric intake, like the Zone diet, are generally not recommended for pregnant women because they compromise nutrition during pregnancy.

Phase two of the South Beach Diet—in which healthy carbs, like fruit and whole wheat pasta, are reintroduced to the diet, centered on cutting out unhealthy carbs, like processed foods—should only be followed by a pregnant woman if approved by her doctor.

Dietary Supplements
    Eating a well-balanced meal is key to staying healthy during pregnancy and ensuring that your baby develops properly. Vitamins are encouraged in order to supplement a healthy diet. A prenatal multivitamin plus a daily mineral supplement are encouraged. Folic acid supplements are also important.

Food for Thought
    Women of all sizes are encouraged to eat a healthy, balanced diet while pregnant. This goal can be achieved by adding about 300-500 calories a day to their regular diet. However many doctors stress the importance of the quality of these calories, as opposed to the number of calories themselves; foods high in fat and sugar as well as caffeine should be avoided. Fruits and vegetables, like spinach, carrots, oranges and tomatoes, are excellent for the immune system. Snacks should be nutritious as well
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options

This. Don't ask strangers on the internet what's normal. If you're concerned, ask your doc.

This
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had weeks with no gain, and weeks where I'd gain 5. Everything will be fine if you eat healthy foods.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Naw...not normal at all. I think you should stop eating altogether as this is beyond acceptable. Food is bad for you and your baby. And trust me, I am a medical professional so I should know, right. SMDH
  • AlyBelden
    Options
    I'm not pregnant and I can gain that in a week if I'm not careful, lol. I never weighed in much during my pregnancies outside of the monthly doctor visits, but I remember gaining as much as 10 pounds in a month, so I'd say normal... unless you are gaining that every week.
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those that responded nicely! Obviously I understand I should not diet during my pregnancy. But I also know that I'm eating very healthy, and was interested in others opinions as to why they feel or think I would gain 4lbs in one week (others meaning [expectant] mothers). And if it continued or felt my baby was in any harm what so ever, I'd of course be on the phone with my nurse.

Really, if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. We're all here for the same reasons right, lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Why bash someone, pa2b32...get over yourself buddy!