Leg cramps help

Options
I have been having bad leg cramps at night. All of a sudden my muscles just tense up on me and it wakes me up. The I have to go through the process of moving them around and stretching out. I drink plenty of water. Usually around 3 liters a day. Which for me is necessary. I work in an indoor outdoor environment and it is very hot here. I also work out 5 days a week now. Are there different ways for me to avoid these cramps? They are driving me crazy!

Replies

• aliciatastic1
    aliciatastic1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try taking a magnesium supplement and make sure your other electrolytes are balanced - plain water is good but won't always be best for you in a hot environment.

Any suggestions for specific supplements?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Try taking a magnesium supplement and make sure your other electrolytes are balanced - plain water is good but won't always be best for you in a hot environment.

Yes ... electrolytes.
  • aliciatastic1
    aliciatastic1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Would the children's unflavored Pedialyte be sufficient?
  • smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, it should still have the correct balance.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Or you could get electrolyte pills like ...

http://saltstick.com/product/saltstick-caps/

or

https://www.hammernutrition.com.au/product/endurolytes/

or possibly others.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    If you sweat a lot from your workouts, you might need more salt. That was my problem years ago when I first started working out a lot. I made sure to stay hydrated, but I didn't realize my sodium levels were so low. Adding just a bit of salt to my meals helped!
    There are also pills you can take called Hylands Leg Cramps (I used to just get store brand though) that are a lifesaver! They're also good for restless legs, if you ever have that problem too.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    As far as I know magnesium helps with that. You might try.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Since you drink a lot of water, there is a high possibility that this is an electrolyte imbalance. Get an electrolyte supplement.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Most leg cramps are idiopathic, but still worth mentioning to your doctor.

As mentioned previously, magnesium supplements may help. Gatorade or Pedialyte may help.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    All the suggestions above are great. There's also a trick I learned when I was pregnant to avoid charley horses in the middle of the night. Train yourself if you can to never point your toes when stretching in bed. So if you are changing positions or half asleep, keep that foot pointed up when stretching.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's your calves and hamstrings, yes? They are probably tight, which reduces the flow of electrolytes in them, causing cramps. Stretch whichever muscles have been cramping every hour for 30 seconds. Instructions are on youtube. Post an update in 2 days. :+1:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Could be magnesium or it could be potassium. Might be a good idea to have your doctor order blood tests to find out for sure.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Magnesium works for me, but if you sweat a lot and drink lots of water you could be low on potassium or sodium. I agree that some blood tests might be in order. I used to have horrible leg cramps, so I feel for you. Hope you can find the right solution soon.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you can, get a blood test done to test your magnesium and potassium blood content before going to supplements... an overabundance of either can do the same thing, give you bad leg cramps! I'm board line high myself, simply from the foods I eat every day... taking a supplement would KILL my legs!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

I used to get leg cramps, and no longer do. I don't know if its the magesium & potassium I take, or something else, but here's the brand:

NOW Magnesium & Potassium Aspartate with Taurine
  • Machka9
    Options
    You’re not going to believe this, but as a firefighter paramedic, when we overheat or dehydrate, we down Pickle juice...I know...you’re thinking I must be crazy. But we all swear by it. Works fast and no more leg or foot cramps. Also increase your hydration and cool showers after your workouts. It won’t take much pickle juice to do the trick, think along the lines of 4 to 6 oz..two to three times per day for about theee to four days in a row..enjoy the feeling of no leg cramps.....

Long distance cyclists use that too. :)

Sometimes I'll come home after a long ride and eat a dill pickle because it hits the spot for the salt cravings.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    When I had cramps at night, I figured that I needed more electrolytes. Salt is an electrolyte. I grind about half a gram of pink salt into the palm of my hand and toss that into my mouth before bedtime. I no longer experience cramps at night.