Options
    Should I stay away from carbohydrates ?

Why do you think you need to?
    For what purpose?
    What are your goals?
  • RunForPizza88
    RunForPizza88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Considering fruits and veg are carbs, I think the smart (and short) answer would be ‘no’.
    Longer answer:

Weight loss is eat less move more, you don’t need to ban an entire macronutrient group. 5ft1 and 114lbs here. Eating at least 200grams of carbs a day. Lost 14lbs so far...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I have used the MyFitnessPal default macros as a goal for years.

If you are trying to lose weight, all that matters is staying within calorie goals AND getting enough protein and fat.

I plan my meals and snack to allow me to hit or exceed my protein and fat goals, carbs fall where they fall. I don't avoid them, my carb goal is 200g per day, I usually fall at somewhere around 125g-150g because I tend to eat more fat than my goals recommend. I've lost weight and maintained my weight for many years this way.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No. You don't need to stay away from carbs.
    Vegetables and fruits have carbs. Dairy products have carbs. Whole grains have carbs.
    Your body uses carbohydrates for energy and brain function. https://www.livescience.com/51976-carbohydrates.html
    Some people find it suits them to eat a lower carb diet.
    For weight loss calories are what you need to look at.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Depends on your health needs and goals, and personal satiety from different macros.

Some do awesome on high carb and low fat. Some do wonderfully on almost no carbs. Know your needs and then experiment appropriately.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less calories than you expend (calorie deficit), regardless of the macronutrient composition of your diet.

Just to correct a misconception posted above, carbs and protein are 4 calories/gram, fats are 9 calories/gram - so fats are 225% more calorie dense than carbs and/or protein. A good, evidence-based guide for setting up your calorie and macronutrient goals can be found here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It was me, I cut carbs and increased fats and lost weight so I assumed carbs were more dense without doing the math. My bad and I stand corrected.