Recompers question

Hello! I've been in maintenance about a year and spent most of it working so, so hard to eat enough protein and lift heavy and recomp. I think I was decently successful until a recent vacation sent me off the food tracking rails for about a month and I went right up to the top of my preferred range.

Now, I'm trying to get back on track, but I'm curious if everyone recomping is such a protein freak. It just wasn't enjoyable to try to get 130g each day. I've been hitting much lower numbers lately (50-80 usually), but I feel more satisfied. Think I can still be building muscle and successfully recomp?

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I kind of look at my protein counts like my calories. Some days I got really under, some days over. As long as it balances out in the end.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2018
    I did a recomp a few years ago, I just couldn't get used to having to eat more protein so eventually I cut myself some slack and just ate roughly what MFP sets for me as standard. I found my happy place both in body shape and in protein intake.
    I'm not sure about building more muscle with not getting in the extra protein but you wont lose it, at least I haven't. I'm leaner these days so the muscle is more visible anyway. Its about finding whats best for you and where you are happiest.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The higher recommendations are optimal but there's a very wide range of adequate so to answer your question..... "Think I can still be building muscle and successfully recomp?" - Yes.

I don't log my food and haven't for ages but I just keep my protein needs in mind rather than be a "freak" about it. As a heavy exerciser my needs are higher, as an older person my needs are higher and I happen to like protein rich foods and have a large calorie allowance because of my exercise so it seems to work out ok.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    AEC50 wrote: »
    Hello! I've been in maintenance about a year and spent most of it working so, so hard to eat enough protein and lift heavy and recomp. I think I was decently successful until a recent vacation sent me off the food tracking rails for about a month and I went right up to the top of my preferred range.

Now, I'm trying to get back on track, but I'm curious if everyone recomping is such a protein freak. It just wasn't enjoyable to try to get 130g each day. I've been hitting much lower numbers lately (50-80 usually), but I feel more satisfied. Think I can still be building muscle and successfully recomp?

130 is likely overkill for you...where did you get that number? I'm usually somewhere around 0.6 - 0.8 grams per Lb of body weight...basically anywhere from 110 grams to 145 grams with the higher end being roughly equivalent to 1 gram per Lb of LBM. I'm usually somewhere in the middle.

I know 1 gram per Lb of body weight has been thrown around a lot in body building circles and whatnot, but pretty much everything I've researched suggest that anything over 1 gram per Lb of LBM is overkill and not really of any benefit.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    @cwolfman13 yes, it was on the high end. I weigh 145.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    I really dont get why some people feel like they need to eat insane amounts of protein, i managed to build muscle just fine while eating 1.2-1.5 grams of protein per kg bodyweight a day. Wich is 80-99 grams. When you are losing weight you need to eat more but if you are at recomp 1.2-1.5g per kg bodyweight is really enough. I have alot of friends doing martial arts and crossfit and pretty much everyone stick to this number and 1 of them was the strongest guy in the province.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited October 2018
    When I was losing I tried to get 1g per lb of body weight. It was a struggle. 120-140g.

Now I'm in maintenance, I am shooting for 1g per estimated pound of lean body mass, between 85-100g. Way easier. Plus I'm eating more overall calories, so protein is smaller percentage of my overall calories as well as a smaller number. Makes eating more balanced meals easier, I don't feel protein dominates everything I do.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I've been maintaining between 100-105lbs (5'1) 9+ years and don't log anymore. However, I am slightly protein conscious and get in between 80-110g on a loose 1600cals a day.

It isn't hard work, and I only had to adjust my diet slightly when I initially upped my protein.

I eat 3 'meals' a day with a sometimes evening snack. Each meal has between 30-40g of protein and if I am low I add a protein drink before bed or along with the meal.

I choose to have a higher protein level with 3 high intake meals because I am older and lift. I am also in a recomp/decomp/maintenance cycle at the moment because of other commitments, and keeping my protein highish helps with muscle retention (a little) even when I can't get to the gym for a month or so.

Do what works for you and if you find you are not progressing in recomp, or maintaining in maintenance as you would like, revisit raising your protein slightly.

Maintenance can be a series of small adjustments to keep you where you want to be, rather than a static continuum.

Cheers, h.