Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should you exercise when you're sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If I have a head cold, I usually go on about as usual. I have kids, life doesn't stop for sniffles/runny nose.

If there is fever or vomiting, no.

Anything else, it just depends on how I feel. If I'm feeling particularly crappy for no known reason (getting sick? allergies? recovered but not 100%?) I might do some LISS for recovery and continuing to be active and then resume lifting a few days later.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I do unless its a debilitating illness - intestinal issues are tough to work through but mostly a GOOD WORK OUT makes me feel better so...yes.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I typically go with the above the neck, go ahead and exercise rule, unless I have a fever. I will however avoid the gym, even if all symptoms are above the neck, if I have a runny nose or cough bc even though I clean my spin bike after use, I don't wanna be the one dripping green snot all over the gym equipment.
    I may walk or do yoga at home on those days if I feel well enough to.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It depends, like others have said. Typically if its just bad allergies or a head cold I might scale back my workout just so it doesn't turn into something worse like a full blown sinus infection. Any kind of flu or stomach flu symptoms I don't work out and just worry about getting better and staying hydrated. You need to listen to your body though, overdoing it can make things worse especially the older you get. In my opinion, if my body is in heal mode it tends to burn through calories more than I think.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had a cold the end of May. Didn't take it easy, kept up with training, and ran a 5K (actually PBed it) and found myself with bronchitis for two weeks after. Lesson learned. Skip a few days even with a cold to get better.
  • timpleberry
    timpleberry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Of you are ill, your body will be working hard to restore health. If you use available resources to exercise, you risk prolonging g your illness, or making it worse.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    it really depends. If you have a fever, you shouldnt exercise. It could make things worse, because you'll raise your body temperature. When I had a bad case of strep recently, I took over a week off. But if it's just a minor head cold, or general crumminess, you might feel better after you work out.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exercise if you have body aches... Asking for strains and pulls
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I usually take it easy when I have a cold.
    If you're unlucky you could get Myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation). That can be fatal. Not worth it in my opinion.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you are showing symptoms of any kind and sneezing, coughing, feverish, etc. Do the world a favor and stay home rather than risk spreading an infection.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    In most cases if I can go to work I can workout.

Miss a couple days of work a year for sickness
  • ImSoSquishy
    ImSoSquishy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if you're coughing, coughing out mucus, sneezing, or have a runny nose w/ watery eyes, then i really don't recommend it as any of those can easily mess up your form and possibly make you injured especially on squat, bench, and deadlifts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    Exercise temporarily reduces your immunity system, so it's much better to rest and recover. It won't kill you to work out, but because your immunity is compromised for awhile, you're likely looking at a longer total recovery time.

http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/wellness/how-exercise-affects-immunity.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    If I'm just a little sniffly or a little bit of a cough, your run-of-the-mill head cold, yeah, I'll go, but may dial it back a notch. If I'm feeling pukey, have a fever, total-body aches/chills, etc, then nope!
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    my measure is: Above the shoulders - cold mainly get out and exercise Makes me feel better
    Below the shoulders - Flu with fever etc - stay in bed or go for a gentle walk when possible just to get some fresh air
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't know what these "head colds" are that people speak of. If I get a cold my lungs always feel achy, even if I'm not coughing a lot. Is that still a head cold?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ainadan wrote: »
    I don't know what these "head colds" are that people speak of. If I get a cold my lungs always feel achy, even if I'm not coughing a lot. Is that still a head cold?

It's one of the terms my mum used to use, along with bilious attack (aka stomach bug), lumbago (aka lower back pain) and sugar diabetes (as though there were any other kind)
    I think it means a cold that only affects your nose but, like you, I find they invariably affect my throat and chest too