Straight talk about fitness

Options
This is a interesting article I just came across:

Straight Talk

From Raquel, M.A., C.S.C.S.

Fitness is a lifestyle, not a quick goal to reach for an upcoming reunion, birthday, cruise, etc.

If you can’t do 20 pushups, you shouldn’t be trying to bench press 200lbs. Learn how to lift your bodyweight first.

If you can’t maintain full range of motion every rep, reduce the load you are lifting and perform full range.

You can’t spot train. If you want to lose the tricep jiggle or love handles,you must engage in a combination of aerobic and resistance training in conjunction with a balanced diet. Hey, no one said it was easy, but it is do-able if you’re committed.

There is no such thing as upper and lower abs. There is only ONE muscle called the rectus abdominis (RA) without a division separating the upper from the lower musculature. During exercise, there is absolutely no way you can recruit muscles fibers from a lower portion of a muscle. When the recruited muscle fibers contract, the entire muscle fiber contracts, not just one end or the other. This phenomenon is known as the all-or-none principle. Just like it doesn’t make sense to train lower biceps, you can’t train lower abs either period!

Most of the time, the exercises you hate are the ones that work the best.

The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. Ladies, lift some real weight please.

Working out shouldn’t grant you an entitlement program: I can eat whatever I want because I had a great workout today.

100 crunches a day will not give you washboard abs. Crunches are worthless anyway. You must lose the excess fat sitting on top of the muscle. We all have a six pack waiting to come out.

The only way to train balance is to be unbalanced.

The “fat burning zone” is very misleading. You will burn a larger percentage of fat in relation to carbs when you are working at a lower intensity, but you will also burn fewer TOTAL calories and less total fat. The battle of the weight loss game all comes down to total calories burned and has little to do with what percent of fat vs. carbs are used for fuel. You’re better off exercising at higher intensities to burn more total calories. Higher intensity is subjective and differs for each individual. The best bang for your exercise buck it to do interval training.

For you guys, the chest muscle is comprised of two muscles (aka pectoralis major and minor). You can’t train upper from lower or inner from outer pecs. Just do a variety of exercises so the muscle is stressed from different angles.

Train multiple muscle groups to get faster results vs. having just a chest day, shoulder day, bicep day, etc. I can’t believe people are still living in the dark ages training one muscle per day. Men, please check out Michael Boyle, Mark Verstegan, & Alwyn Cosgrove on how to get the most out of your training.

If you stop working out, your muscles will NOT turn to fat. Muscle and fat are two different types of tissue. Physiologically, it is impossible for one to become the other. If you are eating more than you’re burning off, then the net result is weight gain due to the fat cells becoming larger in size.

Want to be better at everything you do? Don’t ignore your core. You can train it every day. Rotate static and dynamic core stabilization exercises (see my post on this).

Weight training does not make females bulky. Females lack adequate amounts of testosterone, the hormone that promotes muscular growth and size. Weight training will help you get lean muscle tissue and become a better fat burner.

If you can talk on the phone or read a magazine, then you are not working out.

Does muscle really weigh more than fat? You can not compare two substances unless you define the volume and density. Muscle has more density than fat tissue. (Physics 101: Density is not the same as weight.) Muscle takes up 1/3 less space than fat. The correct way to state the muscle v. fat debate is “muscle is heavier by volume than fat.”

If you do not warm up, you are basically asking for an injury.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • scottrey
    scottrey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great post *like*
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Ah, just what I needed today.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Great article!! Thanks for posting!
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Supa dupa like.

Very interesting, & great information.
  • Autumn15
    Autumn15 Posts: 213
    Options
    very interesting and informative
  • sarashae
    sarashae Posts: 28
    Options
    LIKE! --- I took a nutrition class last semester and what you posted is pretty much what was taught in that class! in fact that is why I decided to get into shape!
    Glad you posted this!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I never understood why women were afraid to lift real weights, it's not like you'll turn into a body builder....unless you're trying! thanks for this awesome post! :flowerforyou:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    yes!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You can’t spot train. If you want to lose the tricep jiggle or love handles,you must engage in a combination of aerobic and resistance training in conjunction with a balanced diet. Hey, no one said it was easy, but it is do-able if you’re committed.

Nonsense. You CAN spot train. You don't have to do any aerobics to lose "tricep jiggle" or "love handles"....It's also mostly about diet.
    100 crunches a day will not give you washboard abs. Crunches are worthless anyway. You must lose the excess fat sitting on top of the muscle. We all have a six pack waiting to come out.

Half right and half wrong. Yes you need to lose the fat sitting ontop of the muscle, but you still need to do crunches. I know a bunch of folks that have 7% bodyfat and are skinny as hell with no abs at all.
    For you guys, the chest muscle is comprised of two muscles (aka pectoralis major and minor). You can’t train upper from lower or inner from outer pecs. Just do a variety of exercises so the muscle is stressed from different angles.

LOL. This statement is seriously flawed. Yes you can train upper and lower pecs. Are you going to tell me that me doing incline and decline train the same exact muscle group in my chest?
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great Post!! Thx!!
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Working out shouldn’t grant you an entitlement program: I can eat whatever I want because I had a great workout today.

Guilty.... This is simultaneously the reason I work out, and also the reason why I am fat.
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Nonsense. You CAN spot train. You don't have to do any aerobics to lose "tricep jiggle" or "love handles"....It's also mostly about diet.
    Do u have a six pack or are u in tip top shape? If not take the advise or leave it, don't be discouraging to others. If u do share ur tips so we can be like u!

Half right and half wrong. Yes you need to lose the fat sitting ontop of the muscle, but you still need to do crunches. I know a bunch of folks that have 7% bodyfat and are skinny as hell with no abs at all.

LOL. This statement is seriously flawed. Yes you can train upper and lower pecs. Are you going to tell me that me doing incline and decline train the same exact muscle group in my chest?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Do u have a six pack or are u in tip top shape? If not take the advise or leave it, don't be discouraging to others. If u do share ur tips so we can be like u!

No I don't have a six pack or am in top shape. Soon though. =) But Is that what this is about? LOL. I'm simply correcting your advice that is false. You are posting an article that tells people that doing crunches are worthless which is simply not true, therefore FALSE.
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    Thanks. I really enjoyed this
  • BIG_Lew
    BIG_Lew Posts: 513 Member
    Options

No I don't have a six pack or am in top shape. Soon though. =) But Is that what this is about? LOL. I'm simply correcting your advice that is false. You are posting an article that tells people that doing crunches are worthless which is simply not true, therefore FALSE.
    Doing crunches is worthless if ur diet isn't correct
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    great article!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

I agree with you her Joe, but when the article says "spot train", I think he means "spot reduce" which is an entirely different thing. If that's what he means then he is correct, you cannot spot reduce (lower BF in a particular spot via training). Sure, you can build up muscle under the fat and make it look better but doing bicep curls does not reduce fat directly in the bicep.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Doing crunches is worthless if ur diet isn't correct
    captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpg

Of course diet is more important but the point Joe is making is you have to have muscle mass or your abs won't look good even at low BF%.
  • joejccva71
    Options

I agree with you her Joe, but when the article says "spot train", I think he means "spot reduce" which is an entirely different thing. If that's what he means then he is correct, you cannot spot reduce (lower BF in a particular spot via training). Sure, you can build up muscle under the fat and make it look better but doing bicep curls does not reduce fat directly in the bicep.

Oh I know thats probably what the article meant. I just like being difficult sometimes. =)