Eating below BMR?

Options
Hey!

I'm just wondering if there's anything wrong from eating below my BMR for a sustained period of time? i.e any adverse side effects

I'm trying to lose a significant amount of weight, and I've calculated my maintenance calories as approx 2000, and bmr as approx 1640.

If I put myself in a calorie deficit of 500, that gives me 1500 calories/day, which is below my bmr. Is this okay to do/is it sustainable?

Let me know your thoughts please! I'm ready to be educated!

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I have known a lot of people who have tried a high deficit and who have been unable to sustain it. Reading the messages on here from successful losers and maintainers the best plan seems to be -- be patient, follow mfp guidelines in terms of calorie targets, don't eliminate all of the foods you enjoy eating but do learn appropriate portion control and learn new habits over the time you are losing so you can maintain the new slim you. Patince grasshopper! Good Luck
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sure, you could eat 1500. If you do any activity at all, though, including exercise and non-exercise activity, you would want to "eat back" those calories too, so your 1500 may be anywhere between 1500 and 2000 or even more if you're exceptionally active.
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Are you very sedentary? Those numbers seem low if you're very overweight?

Yeah I work in a call centre and sit on my *kitten* pretty much all day so I did the calculation based on a sedentary lifestyle. I do about 5000-6000 steps per day, and about 10,000 on days where I get home early enough to go for a walk, but I add exercise calories on those days.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Seems low, patience is difficult i know, thats the key.

Have that and you will get to where you want.steady, good food and follow the plan.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight enough to sustain a 500 calorie a day deficit, it doesn't matter if that's a deficit from a sedentary TDEE (2000 kcal, but only eating 1500) or an active TDEE (say, 2450 kcal but only eating 1950). Your body is not going to shut the door on metabolizing fat for the energy you need to maintain a sedentary lifestyle just because the calories you get from diet are below your BMR, but go ahead and metabolize the same 500 kcal from fat to come up with the energy you need for an active life.
  • Jmatievich
    Jmatievich Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat back all my exercise calories everyday and still lose. I dip into them every once in a while.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    yes slow and steady , and burn cal where ever you can working out sis great , but head phones on can turn even tidying the Kitchen into extra calories burned as you bop around in time to the music .