How do you reach the recommended potassium goal?

Options
I try to hit all of my nutrition goals, and usually come up short in iron and potassium. The iron is easier to reach by adding cereal or a supplement. I can't seem to ever reach my potassium goal, even when eating higher potassium foods. I haven't found a good supplement.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,053 Member
    Options
    Because US labels don't have to list potassium, many database entries don't have potassium noted, even when the food does have potassium. You might be eating more of it than you think. Spot checking a typical day against a more comprehensive database (like USDA at https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/) might give you a better handle on it.

Some common foods with potassium include bananas, oranges, cantaloupe, honeydew, apricots, grapefruit, prunes, raisins, dates, cooked spinach, cooked broccoli, white beans, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I supplement by adding potassium to my tea & smoothies and other foods throughout the day. But @AnnPT77 makes a good point I hadn’t considered
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    klejm003 wrote: »
    I try to hit all of my nutrition goals, and usually come up short in iron and potassium. The iron is easier to reach by adding cereal or a supplement. I can't seem to ever reach my potassium goal, even when eating higher potassium foods. I haven't found a good supplement.

Don't use MFP to track micros, a lot of stuff in the database doesn't have micros listed.