Breaking Cultural Weight Norms

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Mel and I am 31 years old. I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life & while I have achieved many successful goals in my academic and professional life, my weight has always been my one large set back. I am of African decent and growing up, I learned quickly that in my culture- big was beautiful. A curvy, full woman was viewed as a potential wife and probably ripe for child bearing. Fast-forward a couple of years and exposure living abroad, I have come to realize that obesity in Africa is as real as it is in America. In 2012, I decided that I would face the scales and make some changes to my life. I made all the right choices- and was able to drop 50lbs from 210lbs to 160lbs. I totally loved myself! A year later, my mother was diagnosed with cancer and that hit me hard. I experienced depression and the weight quickly piled up. I also had my son last year and last month (September 2018), I decided that enough was enough. It’s time to break cultural weight norms and live the very best life that I am supposed to live. I therefore downloaded the fitness pal app, signed up for the gym and have been eating healthy and making the right lifestyle choices. I am looking for a community of motivators- people out there who are ready to cheer each other on (even run a 5k or marathon someday) and not let anything get in the way. We can only give the best versions of ourselves and I choose life, I choose to be alive for my son and I choose a new healthy lifestyle. Who’s with me? 😊

Starting Weight (Sep 2018): 225lbs
Current Weight (October 2018): 214lbs
Weight lost to date: 11lbs
Goal Weight: 165lbs (50 lbs loss)

Replies