5:2 eating plan

Options
Hello. I’m brand new to calorie counting using an app but really excited to start this. I’m 52 with worsening arthritis in my knees and about to have a total knee replacement in about 6 months. I’m starting back to physical therapy and also trying out a new eating plan that I have been looking into for its acclaimed healing abilities. First off, let me say that I am not and have never been into crazy dieting plans. I know they’re just temporary and often unhealthy. I’m looking for anyone who is trying the 5:2 eating plan where you eat normally for 5 days of the week, but fast for the other 2 days. On fasting days you stay around 500-600 calories. I’ve only been trying this out this past week but I’m pleasantly surprised that my 2 fasting days were much easier than I had expected. I would love to hear back from anyone who has tried this plan. Thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did 5:2 to successfully lose my excess weight - made my adherence to a weekly calorie goals much easier compared to an everyday deficit. Also supported my heavy exercise routine very well as the majority of my exercise was done fully fuelled. Transition to maintenance was a breeze as I was already used to eating at that level 5 days a week,

Be very cautious and very cynical about this aspect "I have been looking into for its acclaimed healing abilities"
    A lot of the IF research is contradictory, not been done on humans, extrapolated from one form of IF to completely different eating patterns, cherry picked in the extreme etc. etc. In summary what is often presented as science is a marketing job rather than being impartial.

In other words nothing is proven beyond it's an eating pattern that might suit some people but not suit others - a tool for compliance. Hope it works for you too.