THICK THIGHS.. Flabby thighs.. LOSE THEM!!!

Ladies!! What are the best excercises you've done or any type of gym classes that's helped you lose THIGH FAT? I know there is no such thing as spot reduction, but I'm the type that puts on weight on my lower body first, and when I lose weight.. upper body fat goes first!! My thighs have slimmed probably by an inch.. but there still not where I want them to be at. I know no one is perfect, and there is NOTHING wrong with thick thighs.. i've learned to embrace mine! It's just I would love some tips on how to slim them down..

My main focus is cardio.. I weigh 115 pounds, i'm 5'6 with 18% body fat. When I go to the gym, I mainly jog(not a runner) on the treadmill and also try and do a brisk walk on a high incline and i'll also lift some weights and hit the ellitpical for another 10-15 minutes.

Any tips? What has helped you? I do not want bulky legs lol!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    You say you know that there is no such thing as spot reduction, but then thats basically what you describe.

Try squats, lunges.. both with weights and just body weight.

Also try lifting more weights over all... that will help with fat loss.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    You say you know that there is no such thing as spot reduction, but then thats basically what you describe.

I'm NOT trying to describe that, sorry to those if it came off like that. I just need tips that also help alot with my bottom area or any tips that has helped any of you. Thanks for the response though
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Bump
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    kettlebells!
  • My step instructor always says "This one is for outter thighs." or "this one is for your inner thighs." So maybe a step class will help out? Mine are big too.
  • Definitely squats, lunges (with and without weights) leg presses. Jogging will continue to help lose fat but definitely add in more weights for toning and shaping :0D
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member

I'm NOT trying to describe that, sorry to those if it came off like that. I just need tips that also help alot with my bottom area or any tips that has helped any of you. Thanks for the response though

Doing a bunch of leg exercises specifically isn't going to do anything but bulk them up with muscle. I'd stick with the running.
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    I am so right there with you! I want to be able to walk in shorts or my bathing suit without my thighs being flabby! And I want my thighs to not rub together!!!!
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    What will kettlebells do for your legs?
  • Leg lifts(side and front) squats, lunges, planks(side and regular) help. These don't spto reduce, but they can help tone and build muscle in those areas...nifty for burning fat. However, you need cardio as well. For me, just adding in about 3 2-3 min intervals of leg exercises in my workouts has help tremendously. You'll always have thick thighs(if that's your genetic makeup), but it's better to have them from strong muscle than fat I suppose :p
  • dad106

Doing a bunch of leg exercises specifically isn't going to do anything but bulk them up with muscle. I'd stick with the running.

Right.. because muscle burns the fat, and since muscle is more compact then fat, they will look smaller and leaner. All running is going to do is burn the fat, but without the muscle underneath she'll have that skinny fat look.

I don't run at all, and I've been doing squats/lunges and leg press since January now, and I have rock hard slim thighs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    This is a problem area for me too. I've had the most success with a step machine, running/jogging and Zumba. Squats and lunges also help.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    I have the same prob so I am just lurking and reading. Good luck everyone no matter how thick around we are! ;)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member

Right.. because muscle burns the fat, and since muscle is more compact then fat, they will look smaller and leaner. All running is going to do is burn the fat, but without the muscle underneath she'll have that skinny fat look.

I don't run at all, and I've been doing squats/lunges and leg press since January now, and I have rock hard slim thighs.

I'm pretty doubtful that if you are doing running for cardio that you will end up with skinny fat looking legs....being that you use your legs to run in the first place...just sayin. :glasses:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    All running is going to do is burn the fat, but without the muscle underneath she'll have that skinny fat look.

This might be true if she were running marathons, but the OP said she "jogs" so that will not give you a skinny fat look. At least it didn't me. It gave me really nice toned legs without them being rock hard.
  • dad106

I'm pretty doubtful that if you are doing running for cardio that you will end up with skinny fat looking legs....being that you use your legs to run in the first place...just sayin. :glasses:

I use my legs to walk on a treadmill, and I know that without the weights it wouldn't look as good. You need a combo of both strength and weight training.. not just one or the other, unless your doing something specific. If you don't believe me, then by all means do a forum search.. and you'll see it being said time and time again that by doing cardio only(which OP said was her main focus), your body eat's away at both fat and muscle.. and if you don't do some sort of training to help build that muscle up and maintain it, you won't have any when the fat is going hence the "skinny fat".

"This might be true if she were running marathons, but the OP said she "jogs" so that will not give you a skinny fat look. At least it didn't me. It gave me really nice toned legs without them being rock hard."

Yes but as you pointed out, it didn't for you. OP might be different.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Roller skating has done wonders for me... works the butt, thighs, hammies, the whole nine yards! FEEL THE BURN! (Also, cycling is another great option. Spin class, or go for a bike ride!)
  • Roller skating has done wonders for me... works the butt, thighs, hammies, the whole nine yards! FEEL THE BURN! (Also, cycling is another great option. Spin class, or go for a bike ride!)

This! Cycling is a great leg strengthener! Also, swimming(while the weather is still suitable!) is good for legs...for me anyways. I know I can feel my muscles working :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Ladies!! What are the best excercises you've done or any type of gym classes that's helped you lose THIGH FAT? I know there is no such thing as spot reduction, but I'm the type that puts on weight on my lower body first, and when I lose weight.. upper body fat goes first!! My thighs have slimmed probably by an inch.. but there still not where I want them to be at. I know no one is perfect, and there is NOTHING wrong with thick thighs.. i've learned to embrace mine! It's just I would love some tips on how to slim them down..

My main focus is cardio.. I weigh 115 pounds, i'm 5'6 with 18% body fat. When I go to the gym, I mainly jog(not a runner) on the treadmill and also try and do a brisk walk on a high incline and i'll also lift some weights and hit the ellitpical for another 10-15 minutes.

Any tips? What has helped you? I do not want bulky legs lol!

diet - make sure you lose the fat safely, and keep those EFAs in your diet! Cardio to burn calories is great, every third day

Toning - high reps of squats, lunges, plyometrics followed by lengthening contractions and a flexibility cool down to LENGTHEN those leg muscles!!! This is key.

diet - just enough protein to NOT BULK UP. I don't care what anyone says, women can and do bulk up very easily in the thighs if they consume too much protein. Be aware of your diet and take measurements. Time (about a year) is what you need to resculpt your legs, so be patient.

If you have thick thighs, just do option no. 1 below of How to resculpt your body:

1. If you have too much muscle mass, you can reduce that muscle groups by starving it of protein as your reshape it with high repetitions and little rest. Cool down with stretching of the muscle group you wish to shrink.

2. If you have too little muscle mass, you can increase that muscle group by overdosing on the protein in your diet, and giving that muscle group a good 2 day's worth of rest between strength workouts. Bulk up that muscle group by avoiding to stretch it.

I used to train gymnasts and fitness athletes. Body shaping is my specialty. Best wishes and happy training to you!