Crunching knee noise.

Options
Hey morning people :) ok, my right knee started to make this weird crunchy noise every time I bend it, no pain at all. But the noise makes me nervous, I have been doing HIIT workouts lately that have lots of jumping hight impact, I thought my knee noise have to do with it😓 the situation right now is that I want to do my HIIT workout but I dont know if I should🙂 can you give me some advice on this, should I workout ?

Replies

• mamasita76028
    mamasita76028 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From someone with 2 fake knees...take care of them NOW! I am only 57 and wish I would have taken care years ago! I would suggest giving your knees a rest for a week or 2 and then see how they do.
  • Blackwatch2000
    Blackwatch2000 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine started crunching after I started lifting. Doctor said not to worry since there was not any pain. Seems to be pretty common.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Mine stopped crunching after I started foam rolling and seriously stretching my thighs and calves. If you are doing hiit and quit then take the extra 30 mins to seriously stretch and see if that helps.
    My husband's knee was crunching and he had to have surgery, so still seeing a sports doc is probably best.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm with blackwatch and jogetsgains.
    Generally, crepitus without any discomfort is nothing to worry about and gets better.
    But, yeah, probably see a professional.
    Good luck.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it is fluid on your knee (a sign of inflammation) rather than crepitus unless you have a pre-existing injury. Does you knee feel warm or creak when you press it?

In either case if it's new and follows starting a new or more intense form of exercise then it's time to either get it checked out by a physio or take a break from the workouts that caused it.

Why not do sometime non-impacting for a while? Such as cycling, rowing or swimming.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I come from a family of cracking joints. None of us could ever sneak up on anyone, ever. If there is no pain, then I wouldn't be concerned. This coming from my orthopedic surgeon. If you do start to feel anything then do get it checked out.

If you have a high threshold for pain, get it checked out. I hurt my knee skiing. It felt better a few days later, Motrin and ice packs later. Every once in a while it would make noise or feel a little off. A year later my knee started to crunch going up and down stairs. I decided to have it looked at. My miniscus was torn completely in half and one half had flipped upside down. It’s worth knowing what’s going on.

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks. My ortho checked it and no issues. Mine have cracked since childhood with zero pain or discomfort.
    My parents are the same.
  • gwheart
    gwheart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that suggest an ortho check it out. I have had a crunchy knee for quite a while now, went to PT, and they suggested mixing up my work outs, no jumping every single day, which has helped a bit. And adding strength training alone on some days. Mix it up, save your knees : ) Of course I’m 60 so that could be why they crunch. Best of luck to you!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You may want to check with your doctor just in case, but this is likely just fluid popping within cartilage tissue.

Massage the area before and after and help minimize inflammation. Use a cool compress and use alternating hot/cold water in the shower and this will help minimize inflammation as your body adjusts to new activity.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I agree. Check with a doctor/ortho......
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had crunching in my right knee that started back in February with no pain. I ignored it, then it started to become painful walking up and down stairs and I finally went to my Ortho and now I have to restrict exercise and go to PT twice a week for it. Runner's knee :( I would get it checked out sooner than later.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Every professional I've spoken to has said cracking sounds with no pain are nothing to be concerned with.

Crunching might be a bit different. My right shoulder is a little "crunchy" right now, but I've been thoroughly checked over and nothing concerning has been noticed.

Back off the high intensity for a couple days and see what happens. See your doctor if the issue persists.

~Lyssa
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    You mean knees aren't supposed to do that? Welcome to my world.

If you put your hand on my shoulder when I do a chest press you would shutter.

Yes, my orthopedic surgeon knows about these; he scoped one knee and one shoulder and told me up front that the noise wasn't the problem and isn't really fixable. It's fine to exercise unless I it's painful.
  • ata1anta
    ata1anta Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you put your hand on my shoulder when I do a chest press you would shutter.

👋 my knees are like that. If I wanted to gross out my trainer, I would have had her put her hand on my knee doing leg extensions this morning. LOL
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mine makes that noise too. My doctor told me if it isn't causing me pain to not worry about it.
  • Madame_Presidente
    Madame_Presidente Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’ve had crunchy knees since I was 16, I’m 25 now. I also have had complete and partial dislocations. High impact sports are hard on the knees as I understand. Switching to exercises that put less stress on the joint is recommended. Ortho can scrape the cartilage off the patella via arthroscopic surgery; it was recommended me to me however;I was 16 and refused due to not being pale to play sports. I’m 25 with no insurance and financially responsible for my self now. I wish I had let my parents pay for it when I was a teen! I still have problems! #cheap.#poor.#uninsured.#noworknomoney.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "Hey morning people :) ok, my right knee started to make this weird crunchy noise every time I bend it, no pain at all. But the noise makes me nervous, I have been doing HIIT workouts lately that have lots of jumping hight impact, I thought my knee noise have to do with it😓 the situation right now is that I want to do my HIIT workout but I dont know if I should🙂 can you give me some advice on this, should I workout ? "

Are you stretching? Do you use a foam roller or muscle roller. Tightness in any leg muscles can pull tendons out of line. This causes your knee to track wrong and pain and noise is the result. I went to the doctor for this and was told I have arthritis and I shouldn't run. I did more research and found articles on rolling and massaging. I bought a foam roller and "the stick". I now stretch and roll my muscles routinely and the pain is gone.