Marathon training for women

Options
Hi,
I'm halfway through my marathon training plan, and this will be my first marathon! So far things have gone really well, completed my first half recently in a much faster time than I expected even but I am struggling once a month... i'm curious how other women deal with this. On those days my stomach gets so upset and I get severely dehydrated (even when i'm not running!), i'm following a training plan and my long run days always fall on a Saturday and that is when it is usually the worst... so far i've been repeating those weeks. I talked to my OBGYN and she wasn't very helpful... i'm worried to take something like advil since i've read for long distances it could affect your kidneys and end up hurting you instead of helping. The cramps and pain are unbearable and I usually have to go to the bathroom mid run during these days... my husband actually had to come pick me up during a 12 miler which normally would have been very easy for me, I tend to lose a lot of blood and my skin color changes very pale. Is this normal for most women athletes? Is there anything I can do (especially about the diarrhea)...? Luckily my actual race won't fall on one of these days. I am also looking for suggestions for a hydration backpack or vest, my current one is very heavy, bulky, and it has a lot of ties which my long hair gets all tangled up in (even braided) and pulls it out!
Thank you so much for your help :)

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't have those kinds of issues, fortunately. I'm too old and never had serious TOM problems when I was young. When I was hiking, my cramps etc. were usually less when I exercised, and sometimes my period went away entirely. However, 1) an occasional Advil will not hurt you. When we were doing long distance hiking, we took Advil every day. Hikers call it Vitamin I (ibuprofen). If you are in pain, take care of it. 2) rearrange your runs if you need to. Just because the plan calls for a long run on Saturday doesn't mean you can't alter the schedule. I always arrange my long runs so I get the best weather. Sometimes that means Friday instead of Sunday. Schedules are not set in stone. As long as you get close to the overall mileage and bear in mind the 'hard-easy principal' you can rearrange it. 3) Have you been tested for anemia or low ferritin? 4) If you have issues with going to the bathroom, you can do a course that passes several bathrooms, or one bathroom several times. Alternately, try taking Imodium. I know runners who routinely take an Imodium before a long race. 5) why are you repeating weeks? You want to build up to peak set in your plan. If you have time to repeat, that's one thing, but if it means you're running 15 miles instead of 20 for your longest run, that's not a good thing.
  • CrazyLegs2018
    CrazyLegs2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have those kinds of issues, fortunately. I'm too old and never had serious TOM problems when I was young. When I was hiking, my cramps etc. were usually less when I exercised, and sometimes my period went away entirely. However, 1) an occasional Advil will not hurt you. When we were doing long distance hiking, we took Advil every day. Hikers call it Vitamin I (ibuprofen). If you are in pain, take care of it. 2) rearrange your runs if you need to. Just because the plan calls for a long run on Saturday doesn't mean you can't alter the schedule. I always arrange my long runs so I get the best weather. Sometimes that means Friday instead of Sunday. Schedules are not set in stone. As long as you get close to the overall mileage and bear in mind the 'hard-easy principal' you can rearrange it. 3) Have you been tested for anemia or low ferritin? 4) If you have issues with going to the bathroom, you can do a course that passes several bathrooms, or one bathroom several times. Alternately, try taking Imodium. I know runners who routinely take an Imodium before a long race. 5) why are you repeating weeks? You want to build up to peak set in your plan. If you have time to repeat, that's one thing, but if it means you're running 15 miles instead of 20 for your longest run, that's not a good thing.

Thank you for your reply. My TOM used to never be painful either when I was younger.. I feel like it started getting bad once I was put on the pill. That is good to hear that taking an advil even at the 26 mile distance running won't cause kidney damage. That is a good idea to rearrange, I have just tried my best to stick to the schedule that way I have recovery days spaced out between the next run... I hate giving up, and usually force myself even on these days to make the milage even though my body clearly doesn't want to. I have time to repeat the weeks, so I do it again the next week and hit it with my everything. I was tested many years ago for anemia and ferritin... my levels have always been normal, but maybe I am due for some routine lab work. It really is just the diarrhea that is driving me crazy, I run really early in the morning so I don't usually have time to wait around and I start off already dehydrated... it happens at any moment and I am running so far there usually isn't a bathroom nearby :/ , luckily I have a caring husband who is off on Saturdays and can come pick me up...
    Thanks again for your help
  • jdwhith4
    jdwhith4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you at all anemic during that TOM? that is the thing that comes to mind with the paleness. Many women experience mild or moderate anemia when it is that TOM. Maybe talk with your primary doctor about iron supplements or eating more iron rich food. When I have trained for both a marathon and half marathons I didn't experience anything quite like that. I would have some diarrhea before the beginning of a race which I chopped up to nerves more times than food. 1.With the hydration, make sure you are hydrating well the entire week not just the night before a long run or during the long run. A lot of times you can become dehydrated and not notice the symptoms until it is severe. Make sure that you are also replenishing your electrolytes after a long run that could be contributing to some of the cramping, but not likely to be the only source. 2. If you diarrhea is bad enough it could also be causing you dehydration or compounding it. Assuming that may be the case you can try changing your energy source during the run (gu, gels, chews) may be responsible for the need to go during the run. It could also be what you are eating the night before or that morning, so don't forget to consider that. If your routine as far as eating before a race and before the long runs is set and you don't have the problem on race day it is likely not the food.
  • CrazyLegs2018
    edited October 2018
    Options
    jdwhith4 wrote: »
    Are you at all anemic during that TOM? that is the thing that comes to mind with the paleness. Many women experience mild or moderate anemia when it is that TOM. Maybe talk with your primary doctor about iron supplements or eating more iron rich food. When I have trained for both a marathon and half marathons I didn't experience anything quite like that. I would have some diarrhea before the beginning of a race which I chopped up to nerves more times than food. 1.With the hydration, make sure you are hydrating well the entire week not just the night before a long run or during the long run. A lot of times you can become dehydrated and not notice the symptoms until it is severe. Make sure that you are also replenishing your electrolytes after a long run that could be contributing to some of the cramping, but not likely to be the only source. 2. If you diarrhea is bad enough it could also be causing you dehydration or compounding it. Assuming that may be the case you can try changing your energy source during the run (gu, gels, chews) may be responsible for the need to go during the run. It could also be what you are eating the night before or that morning, so don't forget to consider that. If your routine as far as eating before a race and before the long runs is set and you don't have the problem on race day it is likely not the food.

Thank you for your suggestions. I am 100% sure the diarrhea is being caused by my TOM not food (I did some research on it and apparently it is the hormones that cause the diarrhea during this time), I don't eat anything or change anything different but when it is my TOM I get diarrhea :( . I feel like my hydration during the week is usually really good, I don't have these problems when it isn't my TOM and I always bring water on my runs. I think I am becoming so dehydrated quickly because of this problem. I'll have to look into some iron supplements perhaps or iron rich foods like you suggested... I'm really surprised it sounds like most other women don't have this issue!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If your long run needs to be on the weekend, and the worst symptoms fall on Saturday, you could consider a Wednesday start for the pill, rather than a Sunday start. You may want to discuss that with a doctor - I'm not sure which direction you'd want to shift it when making the change, but since you can skip the placebo week and take active pills back-to-back for up to 3 months (I'm pretty sure it's safe for longer, but the last time I looked into it, most doctors still want to allow for 4 periods per year) I'd guess you'd want to cut the placebo week short, rather than risk 4 days without protection.

I am not a Doctor, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express. YMMV. Just another suggestion.

Forgive me if I'm being presumptuous about the prescription - I can't imagine a natural cycle being so very regular and measuring exactly 28 days without a little pharmaceutical help.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with diarrhea a lot of days but especially around my period. I like the above suggestion of sliding your pills a few days forward. OR you could use that every fourth week as a taper week. I do a taper every 5 weeks with my running.
  • CrazyLegs2018
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful suggestions for this embarrassing issue! Really like the idea of switching the pills, changing up my scheudle, Immodium, and I think i'll have a talk with my Dr. and also get some blood work done to rule out iron and ferritin level issues. What a great community! I appreciate all your help <3
  • katievt98
    katievt98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do not have problems related to my period and diarrhea. However I have run 16 marathons and have done a lot of training. Sometimes I take a diarrhea preventative before running - Just an Immodium or similar and that helps a lot.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    As a follow up to those who take Immodium before a race. Do you get constipated afterwards for a few days?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I strongly discourage you from taking Imodium before/during a long run. The reason it prevents diarrhea is because it dehydrates you, which is the LAST thing you want!