Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food 80% Exercise 10% Sleep 10%

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's easier for me to eat less than to attempt to burn 1,000 calories in exercise every day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    It's easier for me to eat less than to attempt to burn 1,000 calories in exercise every day.

But, it isn't an either/or issue. I find it easier to burn 500 cals and eat 500 cals less than to do either option you present. I think that's where the idea of percentages doesn't really apply.

But the standard meaning of the 80/20 rule is more about the 80% being easy. So, outside of calorie counting, I've used it to say that 80% of my customers take 20% of my time handling them, but the other 20% take 80% of my time.

I guess in context of health or weight loss, it's that you can do 80% of your plan with minimal effort and the last 20% takes a lot more work. So, in context to 1000 calorie deficit, you can get to 800 fairly easy but getting that last 200 calorie deficit is where the real work comes in.

This makes sense in my head if I'm not making it clear here.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For me as someone who has never been very active and has a lot of weight to lose, the more activity I get, the more liveable a weight loss program is and the longer I can stick to it. I had a period the,last month or so where I haven't lost a whole bunch but I'm going to exercise more starting today and eat less so should make continued progress. I have lost 60 lbs from my highest weight.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I hate the whole losing weight is X% this and Y% that, because it depends on the person (and also what you make the starting point).

It's about a calorie deficit, but there are numerous different ways to create a calorie deficit, and I don't actually find that adding an activity is harder than eating less (although I think doing both is often the ideal for me, and that doing one makes the other easier for me personally). I think the reason "I'm just going to work out more" is often a failure is that the person doing it has nothing in place to make sure calories don't increase (or is of a fitness level where the amount of exercise added is minimal and it feels tedious).

Also, I do tend to take percentages literally, so when someone insists it's always 80% diet or some such I start doing math.

I would agree with the advice to understand how much you are eating and moving and then make whatever changes seem to work for you (while being aware of both sides of the equation).

I totally agree about adding activity not being harder than eating less and I am not an active person!. If I burn 1000 calories a day through activity that is a little more food on my plate even if I don't eat them all. I like to eat and going against that desire and aiming for 2 lbs a week loss at 1450 calories just isn't sustainable but with the added activity calories it is because I can eat around 2000 calories and that's sustainable for me!
  • ashlaura581
    ashlaura581 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I lost over 80 lbs just by restricting calories and cutting carbs & sugar
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I attribute my weight gain to becomming more sedentary but not changing my calorie intake and lack of sleep.
    Excess calories for my activity level is why I gained.
    Sleep was a big factor for me in how much I ate. When I was getting 4 hours of sleep or sometimes less I ate more to try to get more energy. I didn't have regular meal times. I did not move as much- like less than 3,000 steps. With 7-8 hours of sleep it is much easier to stick to the right number of calories and move more like 8,000+ steps. I really think sleep should be higher in your list of things that help with weight control.

It is not necessarily that food is always the most important factor. The balance of calories in and calories out is what is important. I think percentages of what factor is most important for weight management are going to vary by person and goals.
    Throwing out 80% this or 10 % that doesn't really help an individual so much.

Food in general is important. A lot of us enjoy food beyond needing it for survival. It is part of how we celebrate or mourn. It is part of our culture. It can be a status symbol to eat or drink certain things. We talk about food. We take pictures of food. We work to put food on the table. Food is a huge industry. Of course when we talk about weight we look at food as most important.

I think it is easiest to lose weight by altering the calorie in side of the equation for almost everyone which is why food seems the biggest factor. Some people can not change their activity level significantly due to their excess weight or health condition but they can change how much they eat. The food you put in your body is something most people have a great deal of control over.
    Exercise might be of higher importance for some people. If you are not overweight and don't have much to lose increasing your calorie out may seem easy and attractive. You might see increasing your activity as more of a social/fun thing or a challenge. You might exercise for reasons other than your weight like mood management. You might do a sport and manage your weight so you can do your sport better.
    I think a lot of people change both their calorie intake and calorie burn to manage weight because being more active is a part of being healthier and you get more calories. If you have been given a calorie goal of 1200 calories you probably want more calories but can't get taller or younger. For people who want a particular body look exercise is probably a pretty important part of their plan.
    I think many people are not getting enough sleep. It is something that contributes a lot to our overall health but is easier to short ourselves on. I think many would benefit in prioritizing sleep more than hitting the gym. http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/need-sleep/whats-in-it-for-you/health

For me I know that I am moving more but will not exercise consistantly. I do not rely on exercise burning a lot of calories. I exercise for stress management and health benefits more than weight management reasons. I try to get enough sleep for my overall health not just weight management. I track my calorie intake. The exact percentage of everything I do each day that contributes to weight loss does not really matter to me as long as the everything moves me toward my personal health goals.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have exercised a ton over the 10 years I have been attempting to lose weight. Through binge eating, through not caring about my calories at all, through my thyroid quitting, migraines almost blinding me 3-4days a week, health issues with my parents, and my in-laws, working too many hours, etc. The exercise has never been the issue. I was running 40miles a week at one point, I can move more weight at the gym than many of the men I see go in there, and I love a high intensity Insanity workout. I bounce my workouts around a lot. I like variety. Right now it is weights and hiking.

But I do it mostly for the mental benefits. It is a huge mental relief to just move. Lifts my mild depression, clears my head, allows me some time to think about just me or hash through a problem. I have been 210lbs and 145lbs in these 10years. And everything in between. I lose weight when my calories are counted and checked. End of story. And when I get little sleep and not enough water as well that is a hard thing to do, so of course moderating all those small factors as well is a help.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I lost over 80 lbs just by restricting calories and cutting carbs & sugar

A friend of a friend lost 40 pounds hiking the PCT this year, and eating as much as physically possible.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Not exercising worse for your health than smoking, diabetes and heart disease, study reveals

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/health/study-not-exercising-worse-than-smoking/index.html
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not exercising worse for your health than smoking, diabetes and heart disease, study reveals

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/health/study-not-exercising-worse-than-smoking/index.html

Pretty much in line with the sitting is the new smoking stuff.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Eat for weight management.

Exercise for fitness.