Maintaining through a stomach bug

Options
Anyone have tips on how THEY handle maintaining a healthy lifestyle when down with the flu and other stomach maladies?

My normal diet is low carb, and I try to do cardio at least 1-2x per week. Today at 2am I was blessed with the upper and lower GI bug and have stayed home to coddle myself through it. Kept what I ate on the protein-heavy side, and the electrolyte liquids low-carb.

I think I did fairly well so far, and plan on keeping it up until I'm 💯. Looking for tips on how others manage in similar situations.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Rest and fluids. I wouldn't worry about exercise until it goes away.

Try some broth.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Take care of my illness then get back to workout as soon as I’m healthy. It’s annoying but not a crisis.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I don’t worry about how much I’m eating, but I do still eat low-carb. Reintroducing carbs when I already feel awful only makes it worse, so no matter how much I crave comfort foods I remind myself they aren’t what my body really wants. I can pull up out of it faster if I stay the course.
  • lwhitman208
    lwhitman208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @FlyingMolly I couldn't resist the temptation of 🍕 last night and had a slice. You're right, made me feel worse, but pizza is pizza!

At the end of this bug I think, and need to go grocery shopping, so this'll be interesting!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    @FlyingMolly I couldn't resist the temptation of 🍕 last night and had a slice. You're right, made me feel worse, but pizza is pizza!

At the end of this bug I think, and need to go grocery shopping, so this'll be interesting!

I think every low-carber has been there at least once or twice. 😉 It’s not a coincidence that every cuisine in the world includes some kind of soft, bland, starchy staple food. It’s what we WANT.

My low-carb diet is easier on my digestive system and much higher in vitamin C than the way I used to eat, though. So I’ve come to terms with the fact that if I want my body to feel physically better, I should stay the course. If it becomes more important to me to curl up with a steaming-hot bowl of mac and cheese, on the other hand, I CAN do that. 🙂
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Rest and fluids, easily-digestible, bland foods. This was my life the last week and a half.