Clip ins. Two rides, two falls.

Options
I started riding with a club a few weeks a go, after the first ride on flat pedals I bought shoes and cleats. I went for two short practice rides in them with no dramas but last Sunday with the club we got to the top of a hill and stopped to regroup. I completely forgot I was clipped in and I fell onto another rider before I hit the deck (luckily he managed to stay on his feet). Today at a stop I went to move off through some gravel, bad mistake, you (I?) can't ride through gravel on 25mm tyres. I started to go over and couldn't unclip fast enough (panic?).

Next purchase? Gloves.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Ouch! Practice makes perfect. It will get easier, promise.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I hate clip-ins. After years of mountain biking, I'm still riding with regular old flat pedals. I don't even care if it's not cool. :D But yeah, most people get over it. You'll learn. B)
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    This thread is funny. :)
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    This thread is funny. :)

Falling is funny. Afterwards. At the time it's just downright embarrassing.

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Everybody falls. Welcome to the club. I usually tell newbies they’ll fall twice - so you’re good for miles and miles to come.
  • tecat810
    tecat810 Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    I am considering getting clips...and afraid! For the reasons described above! Was thinking of starting with cages to test my capabilities. I do want to be faster and more efficient though...
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    tecat73 wrote: »
    I am considering getting clips...and afraid! For the reasons described above! Was thinking of starting with cages to test my capabilities. I do want to be faster and more efficient though...

Don't be afraid, you can only fall when you stop and the ground isn't THAT far away. I would highly recommend wearing gloves. And practice clipping in and out several hundred times in an empty car park before hitting the road, something I didn't do enough of.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Practice stopping near things that can support you if necessary, like a fence or a post.
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I will never go clueless, Flats all the way. My mountain bike and I have a separation agreement, and it is to happen in a blink of an eye.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yeah falling over when you've just started using clipless pedals is totally a thing. I'm kind of sad for you that no one warned you. It is, thankfully, not a steep learning curve. Also know that you can adjust the tension on the pedals.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Yeah falling over when you've just started using clipless pedals is totally a thing. I'm kind of sad for you that no one warned you. It is, thankfully, not a steep learning curve. Also know that you can adjust the tension on the pedals.

I was warned but I thought, "Yeah, nah mate, I'll be right"

As for the tension on the pedals, I'm sh1t scared to frick with in case my foot comes unclipped at a bad time unintentionally.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I was warned but I thought, "Yeah, nah mate, I'll be right"

As for the tension on the pedals, I'm sh1t scared to frick with in case my foot comes unclipped at a bad time unintentionally.

As I live in a semi-urban environment I have to clip in / clip out a lot in traffic before I get to the countryside so I have my spring tension set quite light. I have never had an unintentional release.
    But I have managed to unclip quickly and successfully and save myself from a fall at those unexpected times such as emergency stops and losing balance on a camber.

I've had a couple of 0 mph topple overs in five years (one was first time use with springs on maximum tension...) but I've also saved slides and avoided crashes because of the clips allowing me to hold on to the bike.

You can also half unclip when you are going slow and not sure if you will stop or not, free your heel but keep your toe engaged.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,866 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You're one of us now. :grin:

No one told me a blood sacrifice was required to join this club (cult?). :smiley:

We try to keep that part relatively quiet. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    When I first got Look pedals, some 20 years ago, my first off was at a red light.

Very embarrassing as everything slowed down. The driver behind me at least waited until I'd got out the way :)
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Falls just happen sometimes when something doesn’t work out the way you think they are going to. The thing I learned was to keep hold of the handlebars and let the side of your leg and arm absorb the fall. Don’t stick your arm out to try and stop the fall, you may break something that way. I’ve been riding clipless for two years now, and still occasionally fall. It just happens. Keep at it you will get better.