25.5 pounds gone! But not seeing much of a difference...

Options
LisaGod85
LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
Hi guys! This is my first post in "SS". I've been working on loosing some weight that I gained during a really stressful IT job over the last couple of years. I've lost 25.5 lbs so far, and 12ish and 2.5 inches off my tummy since joining MFP. Problem is, it's been a yo-yo and I'm just finally figuring out what works for me! My weight keeps going down. However, I don't notice too much of a difference. I'm also a tall girl :) (5'11") and my GW is 150. I think I finally found a strategy that works for me, and I'm not yo-yoing anymore! Could I get some opinions? Thanks! Oh yeah and excuse my towel hair ;)

Progress_Side.jpg
Progresscomparison.jpg

Since my photos were a little big, here is the most recent taken yesterday at 173.5 lbs
IMAG0550.jpg
IMAG0549.jpg

Replies

• farmingfool
    Options
    You may be gaining a lot of muscle if you are exercising a lot.
  • veronicamartinez29
    Options
    yea you look alot firmer, are you doing a lot of wieghts?
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    I've lost almost 90 pounds and I see no difference, only in my face and boobs :( lol
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I can definitely see a difference in your tummy! and I agree, if you are working out then you are building muscle too. There IS a difference so keep going girl! YOU GOT THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're toning up. I can relate--33 pounds gone, & I've only lost one size. It's frustrating, to say the least. You look great, though!
  • LisaGod85
    Options
    I do about 20 minutes of weights 3 times a week and on my two cardio days I do ab work :) I've been trying to push myself hard on them lately as well. I'm glad it's starting to show :)
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I can see a difference in your tummy!
  • Manda3183
    Manda3183 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the other posts - although your overall size doesn't seem to have changed dramatically, it looks like you are toning up. If I were you, I would focus more on taking measurements and maybe keep a diary of how you are feeling energy-wise and use these to track your progress in addition to relying on photos and weight.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We are our own worst critics when it comes to seeing improvement. We tend to focus on our problems and concerns when examining our own bodies. (For example, when I look in the mirror, the first place my eyes go is my gut.) I can see a HUGE difference in your pictures. You haven't just lost in numbers; you are much more toned than you were before.

Here's some "self-examination" advice. You will not selectively lose fat where you want. When you look in the mirror, don't look at problem areas first; look at targeted body parts where you will see a difference. Here are some things I notice in myself (when I can tear my eyes away from the gut :wink: ):

-- my collar bones are more visible and my trapezius (big triangular muscle on the back behind the neck) is much better defined.
    -- my stomach right below my rib cage is much flatter.
    -- when I inhale just slightly, ribs and my xiphoid process (the bottom tip of the breastbone) become visible.
    -- my arms and legs have much better muscle definition.

None of these things were true when I started four months ago. I know my gut is smaller too, but it doesn't look it. These other things are quite noticeable and show me that what I'm doing is working in every possible way.

You look different to me and to others looking at these pictures. The key is to train yourself to see the progress you've made rather than the progress that's yet to be made.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I would definitely take measurements - I can totally see a difference, especially in your tummy but I honestly think sometimes we have a distorted image of ourselves and still see the 'fat' us. Honestly, I really can see it, you are doing great! I think if you take measurements and see them decrease it will help your brain acknowledge the change! Well done, keep it up! :drinker:
  • LisaGod85
    Options
    -- my collar bones are more visible and my trapezius (big triangular muscle on the back behind the neck) is much better defined.

This is the first thing that came to my mind yesterday and made me want to take photos to compare! lol

I've been keeping monthly measurements, and I have lost some inches. It's hard to let go of the evil, dirty scale and you are all correct, we do get a distorted image of ourselves. All this positive reinforcement though really encourages me and makes me feel good about myself :) Thanks everyone!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I can see a difference. Right around the 180 mark, you crossed the threshold from cute but chubby to HOT. I really don't think you have to get down to 150, at least not in a hurry. My fiance is your height and actually looks her best around 165-170. So don't stress! You have made impressive progress and it's all gravy from here on.
  • AmyS618
    AmyS618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see a difference. I'm 5' 10" and I didn't feel like I could tell much change at that point, either, but other people could. Another 7 - 8 lbs and I bet you'll start noticing, yourself! Hang in there and keep up the great work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!