10lbs down but is what I'm doing the most effective?

Options
Portagas
Portagas Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2018 in Getting Started
Iv lost 10lbs yay!!!

I am excited about that, but iv been actively trying for about a month and a half. I want to pick up the pace without doing something I know I can't sustain over time. It isn't a race but I want to get the most out of this healthy living. Is what I'm doing even heathy at all though? It produces result (albeit slowly) but still..

basically for a little over a month iv been doing this whole intermittent fasting. I eat between 11am-7pm (sometimes I mess up).
I eat around 1200-1500 calories usually. I'm about 260lbs right now. I try and eat clean for the most part but I work at 3am and im still not use to that schedule. So a normal day would be tuna/turkey sandwiches and pudding and avocado and chips after I get off work.

I don't really work out but I do walk a bit at work. Usually a few miles. I started walking outside of work fairly recently. Going out more to meuseums and festivals is what I mean. I just can't make myself go to a gym yet. Not because I'm afraid. I just don't know what I'm doing other than the boring treadmill/elliptical.

So if you have any tips or maybe a better way that has produced results for yourself I'd like to know them! Thank ya kindly :)

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! It sounds like you are doing great! Logging is a great tool and adding in those walks is a good beginning.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask at the gym about a free session with a trainer to learn how to use the weights. Strength training will help preserve your lean muscle mass while you lose weight. Or, if you really aren't a gym person, check out some YouTube videos for strength routines you can do at home.

The intermittent fasting isn't necessary to lose weight, but if it works for you, carry on. Just remember that it's only one way to help yourself stay in a caloric deficit - it's eating at a deficit which causes you to lose weight. How you achieve that is up to you.
  • Portagas
    Portagas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I don't use a food scale. I usually just check the nutrition table or scan whatever I'm eating and log it on here. I am a volume eater normally. I just like feeling full. so I am adding a lot more fruit/vegetables than before. Maybe a scale would be helpful for that.

I did sign up for a gym membership sometime ago but I never went. I was thinking about getting some insight from a trainer but haven't made the move yet.

Iv heard of people losing a lot of weight during the beginning so I wasn't sure if I was going at an okay pace or not but it's good to know 10lbs is fine.
  • tinseltr
    tinseltr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really don't think going to the gym will benefit you. You don't sound keen on it which may mean you'll give up. I personally hate the gym myself, it's boring and I personally feel self conscious. I am exercising though but I'm finding more fun things to do. If you have a Wii or Xbox or PlayStation there are fitness games on there you can get and many have a calorie counter built in. Another good thing is dancing and maybe yoga if you fancy that and you can go on YouTube and there's plenty of videos on there.

Don't fall into the trap of eating the calories you've burnt off based on what's logged on this app, they're not accurate. You have to work out the difference in calories burnt in what you normally do, be it walking, sitting etc and the new activity you do at that time. Because we are always burning calories, so your real calorie bonus from exercise is the difference between the two. I know that's annoying but it does also make you look at yourself and your habits.

The biggest trick is not to be bored because that will make you eat and have a knock on affect to your will power with dieting.

If you still believe that 10lbs in 6 weeks is bad, just think about what will happen to your excess skin if you burn it off quicker. It won't suddenly snap back into place you'll be left with a layer of skin and the only way to get rid of that is an operation which is never a good idea for non vital health issues and at best you'd be left with small scars presuming the surgeon is any good.

Slow but steady will win your race.
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far :)