Biggest learnings since weighing measuring?

Options
I have several.
Weigh bread before toasting. You lose 10g by toasting.
Portion/calories on package does not equal calories per gram computation. For instance my oatmeal says 40 grams or 1/2 cup, 150 calories. When I measure a scant 1/2 cup and weigh it weighs way more than 40grams and calculates out to 200+ calories. This is true of many things and was a true eyeopener.
There is no small, med, large when it comes to accurately tracking calories. Using that is just a guess. Weigh it and do the math.

What are yours?

Replies

• Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I buy a Stouffer's Mac and Cheese Dinner. The package weights 12oz (340 grams). The serving size is 225 grams, yet the Nutrition Label states there are two servings which would make the package weigh 450 grams. The package actually weights about 350 grams so closer to the 340 as printed. I log it as 1.5 servings. This has been a misprint since I started buying this size almost two years ago.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weighing peanut butter makes me sad.... Lol

I learned it doesn’t love me as much as I love it.
  • lvose5119
    lvose5119 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I realised things like frozen chips prior to using the app were massively over portioned. By restricting it I realised I’m now eating until full and not just because it was there
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    If it's water, or nearly entirely water,"a pint's a pound the world round". Anything else needs weighed, not measured.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    just portion sizes in general! Two of the biggest, besides ice cream, peanut butter, were cheese and potato chips! Cheese is so good, yet so fatty! Potato chips, even the baked ones, 160-260 cals per oz? dang! Also, not really the same, but that fruit and veggies can have so few cals per bid serving, including potatoes.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    That weighing/measuring everything is not that hard or time consuming. I’ve had a few friends make comments that make it seem like I’m making some super huge effort by weighing everything. It takes like an extra 30 seconds, if that, to plop something on the scale before I put it in my mouth
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    That bread may not weigh much but still has a lot of calories.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Weighing peanut butter makes me sad.... Lol

Not weighing peanut butter can make me fat. Not by itself, but it would be harder to name a food that it's easier to be off by a large amount by eyeballing portions and if I thought it was okay to eyeball peanut butter I would probably have a bad habit of eyeballing food in general.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    pasta....sigh...