I'm conflicted with myself and have lost motivation...

I want to lose weight, and I've established the reasons why I want to lose weight... but for some reason I am just not motivated to and for some reason I'm afraid of reaching my goal weight. Maybe it's because I know I could rebound very easily? I don't know what's wrong with me.. I used to be so determined and motivated...

Replies

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Motivation is fleeting. Reasons, on the other hand, are durable...

You’ve made a good start in figuring out what’s holding you back. Here’s a good way to complete this exercise: Make a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. Then make a second list of all the reasons you don’t want to lose weight. “For some reason I’m afraid of reaching my goal weight” is an excellent example of a reason you don’t want to lose weight. There are likely others.

You’ll need to then look at your two lists and figure out which list of reasons creates the greater ‘want’. You shouldn’t assume before doing this exercise that the answer is obvious. But, if you decide your list of reasons you want to lose is your greater want, you’ll need to focus on this as you navigate your eating decisions.

Good luck to you.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    IMO motivation comes after action. Have you logged the food you have eaten so far today? I recommend starting by logging (even if over calories) then make small improvements over time to better align with your calorie goals.
  • HafezG
    HafezG Posts: 1 Member
    There's a really good blog post on mpf about this:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/The_Movie_Chair/view/walk-through-the-swamp-959755

The post is really insightful, and I think it addresses what you might be going through (the author specifically talks about motivation) . I don't want to spoil it for you, so I'll let you read it :wink:
  • jnaulty1995
    jnaulty1995 Posts: 4 Member
    Been there. Just get out there and do something. Walk if you have to. Make it more habit than chore
  • joanne6063
    joanne6063 Posts: 17 Member
    I just started walking on the treadmill about 2 weeks ago. I was feeling slightly depressed and needed a push. Now I feel like my emotions are all over the place. Happy, sad, crying on command and much more. I’m 55 and had a full hysterectomy 4 years ago and never experienced this. One day I am so excited to go to the gym and the next I can’t get out of bed to go to work. Is this normal?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,522 Member
    Rebound as you put it is a real problem. And you’re right, it’s a problem you can avoid forever by never getting to GW.

If you want to get to goal, you’d be wise to do the exercise as outlined by @countcurt. What I did doing that exercise was make various deals with the don’t want to side to keep the scale going down.

You get a pen and paper, your reasons for resisting will appear right in front of your eyes.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    I want to lose weight, and I've established the reasons why I want to lose weight... but for some reason I am just not motivated to and for some reason I'm afraid of reaching my goal weight. Maybe it's because I know I could rebound very easily? I don't know what's wrong with me.. I used to be so determined and motivated...

Why do you want/need to lose weight?
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I was just reading about this today in Healthline. And totally agree with both 88olds and countcurt. In Healthline article it talks about motivation and how if we write down our reasons of why we want to lose weight. And review them they suggest weekly. It helps keep people focused on why they want to lose weight.
    Another part of the article I liked and really agree with wholeheartedly is the fact that many people, (read women do this most) will set a big goal. I want to lose X number of pounds and this is my goal weight from the start. But then because it is looks so big, it can be overwhelming to many. That instead everyone should make smaller achievable goals along the way, so we can celebrate real achievements as we are on the journey to becoming healthier. The article pointed out the known fact of how losing 5 or 10% of body weight is proven to help the body so much. As a perfect example of something to celebrate, instead of saying well ok, but still so much more to lose. We tend to look on the gloomy side, reasons to quit and not keep going.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    If you want to do it, then do it. Develop a habit and motivation will follow on good days. On the less good days you just go it anyways, because you know that in the end you’ll be glad you did.