I can lose weight, but not enough!

Options
omolbech1
omolbech1 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
Can you come with some suggestions?

5 years ago I was lean. then I got a gf, took on 12 kg, then we broke up, lost 13 kgs by eating alone and doing yoga 4-6 times a week for a year. Then I moved home. and over 3 years my weight crept up 20 kgs.
This year I have managed to stay average around 94 kgs. over say, the pas three months it has been like this. 92-95-91-96-97-97-98-101-98-98-99-97-95-94-95-97-95.

Mealprepping made me go down 4-6 kgs. Doing Bikram ypga twice a day, 5 days a week for a month took 4-6 kg off too.
But I eat like an animal sometimes.

I'll eat a cracker here, buy a protein milk or bakery cone after training. Or I'll eat whatever is in the kitchen.
ever since I switched to Iphone, the idea of barcode scanning went right out the window. And people live with complain when I mealprep. For like only 2 hours on a sunday mid-day. and suddenly we don't have neither fridge space nor freezer space for MY groceries. because roommate suddenly went hunting, or plucked 4 kgs of berries or whatever. a house on the countryside is not always idyllic.

frankly I don't feel like there is space for me losing weight in this house. and moving out is not an option financially. I also don't want to . I want to mold this house to how I live.

in my upbringing I would always be physically active. all kinds of half-assed exercise. then I tried danciing which I also sucked at. The only exercise I like is yoga because I am also stretching. and I like the idea of having a flexible hip if I am 80 and fall. I'd probably be able to work in 20 min of elliptical on heart rate 130-140pbm. its just, If I buy an elliptical, suddenly my roommate will use this as an excuse to not let me borrow his car. even though I help out and clean a lot more than him. he'll jsut tell me to start biking. but I can't bike because of a hip injury FROM biking.

a gym is way too far away. then again so is everything. I just hate being a nomad. I have a yoga mat and two pilates mats at home. I have a small room and a radiator so could easily do bikram if self-control wasn't an issue. you see, I legit tried downloading 60 youtube videos of yoga with adriene. setting up as playlist in windows media player and do one morning each day. the issue is, no one is looking. initially this was perfect because then I didn't need to worry about apparel. buying and washing, and changing. Except now I am semi naked in my own room. And I get both bored and lazy. so I have to put on exercise clothing. which is fine and works to get my brain prepped for exercising. regardless of heat or no heat. The price is willpower. if I do this, I might not get anything done the next 4-8 hours of the day.

about food: I am good at buying bags of frozen vegetables, fresh broccoli, carrots, spinach, and lean meats like chicken and fish. I'll buy some rye bread, avocado and a lemon or some fruit for lunch or snack. but that was when I lived on my own. my roommate has butter, condiments and fatstacked like lumber in the kitchen. sure he also eats healthy sometimes. but eating one broccoli does NOT negate an unhealthy portion of french fries with coke and maynaise.

its not excaclty french fries, but hte contents might at times be the same calorie wise.

I tried to mealprep but the food would always spoil on day 3-5. 5 boxes of 500 g of veggeies, some meat, some spicy things like dried tomatoes or hummus or seed nuts and raisins. with the meat beign hicken or fish or sometimes beef.
I need to buy better lunch boxes.

with what you have read, can you come up with suggestions?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    There is a solution for every issue you brought up.

Sounds like you have roommates and live in the country. (?) Can you buy a second refrigerator? I just bought one for a couple hundred dollars from a recycler, full size, like new. That would solve the storage issue. Even a small one in your room would hold most of what you would need for a week. I lived in a single room for a couple years, just a room and a bath and a tiny $50 hotel room size refrigerator and I maintained a healthy weight. So storage and kitchen is not an excuse.

Exercise. Yoga. (?) Sure, do some yoga. Take up walking in the countryside, too. Spend $10 on some resistance bands. Do body-weight weight exercises.(Look them up on YouTube.) That solves the exercise.

Log your food. Take a walk.

Done and done. :drinker:
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to meal prep ... and just eat less portions of the same stuff. Accept that to lose weight you will feel hunger and embrace it. Just put less of the same food in your mouth.

Don't bother exercising.
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Get a mirror for your room. If you see yourself it might be more motivating. Helps me, because I like to do Just Dance with the mirror by my tablet (I just look up recorded dances on YouTube and follow along).
  • omolbech1
    omolbech1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside: You have good points. I want to say that the refrigerator is a good thing. but I don't know if it is practical irl. Maybe. I don't see myself buying hotel refrigerator to fill it up with carrots and prepackaged meals. the room is on a different floor from the entrance, kitchen, living room. ..can I ask what oyu used to put in your fridge?
    I am going to say no to walking in countryside. It si too windy and boring, and the roads are actualyl a bit dangerous lol. I grew up as abig nature guy. I am moving away from that. but a good low investment idea. I might go for a walk with a neighbour.

Cheers!

@73CL350 I don't know how to respond lol.. your effort seems low effort - not fleshed out. But you are probably right. okay let us take a scenario. dinner is in the oven. chicken and vegetables. but it takes an hour. Your carpenter roommate slob left food out on the kitchen table. Never cleaned up. but he butter is out, the bread is there. and because of your hunger, you make some bread sandwhiches. its spontaneous. but you make 6 breads with meat and stuff. how do you just eat less?

@eccentricplaza can I ask what youtube dances? I thought you meant some steamgame or you had a console with some dance mat on. Do you have a playlist? it sounds like you could diy a smartmirror and get transparent videos with people of your own height.
    I will get a mirror.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to, you cannot lose weight. No one is forcing you to eat 6 sandwiches instead of waiting for your dinner to be ready. It is a choice. If you were living with someone else, a girlfriend, your parents, your children, again the same problem would be there: sandwiches, cookies, cake, chips, whatever. Even if you were living alone in a big city, you would be returning home with the intention to eat a salad and on your way you would see a friend, a coworker or a complete stranger exit the closest fast food place with a double burger. Again it would be a matter of choice: do you want to plan ahead what to eat and stick to better choices to get to your goals or not ?
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    "Because of your hunger, you eat bread and butter"
    I think I see. You want this to be easy.

In a room full of my favorite foods i will not eat any more. My feelings do not dictate my actions.

You WILL be hungry. That's a feeling. How you ACT is not your FEELING's fault... you aren't an I/o machine. You have free will and make a CHOICE to over eat.

Hunger is retribution for all your past over eating. Feel it. That feeling is repayment for your past. You ate too much before... now you feel hunger. Embrace that feeling.

In weight loss there is No forgiveness ... only repayment.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    Here’s a suggestion: in about one week open up this thread, pretend somebody else authored your original post and read it as though you hadn’t written it.

Read each and every paragraph and think about what it says. Because as I read it, I pick up on some themes:

1. You do not want to be bothered with some of the more mundane aspects (like scanning labels, etc.) of managing your weight right now.
    2. You have determined that there are multiple insurmountable barriers to managing your weight
    3. You have no control over so many aspects of your life that you feel you have no control at all.
    4. You have some unreasonable expectations regarding your situation. And no ability to change any of it.

So, the question you must ask yourself is: Do I really want useful suggestions or do I want to prove there is no viable solution to my situation and therefore be obviated of any responsibility for managing my weight?

My apologies if I’m off base here.
    ^ QFT.

Until you start directing your energy away from developing excuses and toward finding ways to overcome them, you won’t get any closer to success. As my favorite saying goes, “Don’t complain about the results you didn’t get from the work you didn’t do”.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    Here’s a suggestion: in about one week open up this thread, pretend somebody else authored your original post and read it as though you hadn’t written it.

Read each and every paragraph and think about what it says. Because as I read it, I pick up on some themes:

1. You do not want to be bothered with some of the more mundane aspects (like scanning labels, etc.) of managing your weight right now.
    2. You have determined that there are multiple insurmountable barriers to managing your weight
    3. You have no control over so many aspects of your life that you feel you have no control at all.
    4. You have some unreasonable expectations regarding your situation. And no ability to change any of it.

So, the question you must ask yourself is: Do I really want useful suggestions or do I want to prove there is no viable solution to my situation and therefore be obviated of any responsibility for managing my weight?

My apologies if I’m off base here.

^yes.

This is my way of clicking insightful twice ;)
  • eccentricplaza
    eccentricplaza Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @omolbech1 Just Dance, like the Xbox Kinect and Wii game. But any Zumba like dances work. I’m just broke so people have the dances on YouTube (but you can’t earn points because they’re videos at that point and not the game).
  • stephieleee
    stephieleee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    this post is kind of relatable, but also kind of frustrating at the same time.

Like, I get where you're coming from with your struggles, in terms of never seeming to be able to get your weight below a certain number. And the room mate thing is hard. I've never seen more success in my weight loss journey then when I was living by myself - probably because it was easier to control my environment. Then my room mate moved in and I gained a little weight back. But you know what? I was able to lose it again because I realised at the end of the day, I'm the one responsible for what food I put in my mouth, not my room mate.

You have to take responsibility for your own actions if you want any hope of success. If your room mate brings unhealthy food into the house, then don't eat it. It requires some willpower, but your willpower is kind of like a muscle, and the more you exercise that muscle the stronger it will become.

As for my suggestions:
    If meal prepping doesn't work for you then don't bother meal prepping. Personally I make my breakfast (overnight oatmeal) and lunch (usually a sandwich) the night before, and I cook dinner when I get home from work because I prefer fresher tasting food.

Would you consider yourself a binge eater? If so, you probably need to work on that. For me, I tend to binge at night, so I eat 3 large main meals with no snacks, and leave myself a calorie allowance at night for a chocolate bar or ice cream or whatever. This helps me not eat everything in sight.

If you live in the countryside why not go for walks or runs for exercise? Being outside is super therapeutic and will get you out of what seems to be a somewhat toxic environment for you.