Am I doing the right routine to lose weight?

So I've been exercising for about a year now. I try to do this at least 4 times a week. My routine is me running to the gym (about 2km) and then doing 30mins of weights for all parts of my body, and then running home.
I haven't noticed an improvement in my fat loss however my muscles are more toned and i'm happy with their size.
Should i start focusiing more on running longer over doing weights?
I know i'm also not losing fat because i still drink and eat quite a bit on weekends but i'm wanting to still continue this as its a big part of my social life.
Thanks so much for any help :)
Liz

Replies

• spizdawg
    spizdawg Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for your responses. I am aware of the calorie intake rule; i'm rather asking whether focusing more on cardio rather than weights will burn more calories
  • Emmatrack
    Emmatrack Posts: 4 Member
    Yes, cardio will help burn fat faster than weight related training, but doing weight training can help tone your body and improve your overall appearance, so I would recommend doing both :smile: . Hope that helps!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2018
    spizdawg wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses. I am aware of the calorie intake rule; i'm rather asking whether focusing more on cardio rather than weights will burn more calories

Cardio certainly can burn far more calories than weight training but it wouldn't be a good idea to neglect the weights.

To get an idea of realistic numbers for yourself....
    Input an hour of "strength training" in the cardio part of your diary to get an estimate and then assuming you can run 6 miles in an hour multiply your body weight in pounds X 0.63 X 6 to get a net calorie estimate.

Exercising to create a calorie deficit certainly can work (assuming you can control your food intake over the course of a week too) but you have to put a lot of hours in or accept a slow rate of loss. Are you prepared to do that?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2018
    If you're unwilling to track how much you eat, you will likely just end up eating more to compensate for extra hunger from extra exercise and not lose any weight. Are you willing to track your food intake so you know you don't increase how much you eat?

Can you reduce how much you eat on just weekdays compared to the amount now and bank those calories for weekends?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    You might also try limiting, but not eliminating, the amount you drink and eat on weekends. You can still have fun with friends with less alcohol or eating less fattening foods.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I belive you know the answer to your own question. Most of us do...

"I know i'm also not losing fat because i still drink and eat quite a bit on weekends but i'm wanting to still continue this as its a big part of my social life."
  • latestarter75
    latestarter75 Posts: 50 Member
    Agree with the above you need to create a bigger calorie deficit, I would keep both cardio and weights in and if at all possible separate the two,cardio am weights in the evening as neither session suffers as much in its intensity that way running to the gym if your going to train legs with weights will mean you can’t hit the weights as hard or your run home after