My motivation is starting to go?

Options
dave_in_ni
dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
edited October 2018 in Motivation and Support
I've been at this 3 years now, logging food, tracking macros, working out. I lost 60lbs initially which I am happy with, it took me from being obese to a normal BMI for the first time in my adult life.

I've maintained that for 2.5 years. Where my motivation is starting to go is in the gym. I've been going for 3 years a minimum of 5 days per week. My results have been pretty much non-existent on that front. The plan was to get rid of the leftover loose skin and flab and tone up a bit, maybe build some muscle. And it's just not happened, I look like I never sat foot in a gym.

For me all 3 parts are linked, the logging food, tracking macros and hitting the gym. Remove one part and I've no interest in the other 2.

I used to love going to the gym, Now I am finding I dread it and its a chore. Have you ever felt like this? Is it possible to get that spark back?

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Maybe mix things up a bit? Cut back to 3 or so days at the gym and use the other days to get outdoors to hike, bike, or play a sport. Something different that gets you moving.

Could be an idea. Just cut back on the weights and take up something else. I do like walking.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    5 days minimum may mean you are not having enough time to recover and would also point to why you are lacking motivation...I am training for a strongman comp and I usually train 3 days per week (I cycle or walk everywhere, so cardio fitness is okay), or 4 days maximum, so I can get event lifts and conditioning in there...maybe just cut back on days you train so you give your body a break? 3 days lifting and do some calisthenics or walking on rest days? Also have you been taking photos every couple of weeks or so, just to see the difference? Sometimes one cannot see the changes on oneself, unless you scrutinize the progress pics...
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    5 days minimum may mean you are not having enough time to recover and would also point to why you are lacking motivation...I am training for a strongman comp and I usually train 3 days per week (I cycle or walk everywhere, so cardio fitness is okay), or 4 days maximum, so I can get event lifts and conditioning in there...maybe just cut back on days you train so you give your body a break? 3 days lifting and do some calisthenics or walking on rest days? Also have you been taking photos every couple of weeks or so, just to see the difference? Sometimes one cannot see the changes on oneself, unless you scrutinize the progress pics...

I used to take progress pics at the start during my weight loss phase so I could see progress, but then progress stopped so I stopped
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    from what i remember from your previous threads, you lost at a very steep deficit which ended up with some muscle loss?

what program(s) have you been running? how much protein are you eating?
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    from what i remember from your previous threads, you lost at a very steep deficit which ended up with some muscle loss?

Yeah that's me. I never recovered from that big cut and muscle loss.

I try to get 0.8-1gram protein per lb, so that's 150+ or there abouts.

I think the big issue is they say you need to be in a surplus to build muscle and I never have been, I would have hoped something would have happened though.

Programs, ppl this past year. Prior to that I fecked around on everything from 5x5 to bigger leaner stronger
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »

I used to love going to the gym, Now I am finding I dread it and its a chore. Have you ever felt like this? Is it possible to get that spark back?

Switch up your routine or try a different form of exercise you like (I've moved from weight lifting to endurance exercises & bodyweight routines over the years partly out of boredom myself.)

However, I think you may have to accept that it is mostly drudgery and monotonous routine like many things in life. Hey, I would much prefer I didn't have to shower everyday (sometimes twice a day on the days I exercise) or brush my teeth morning and evening but I do because I accept it is something that needs to be done for my health.

Same gig with good diet and exercise. It's not all excitement and ticker tape parades.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I think the big issue is they say you need to be in a surplus to build muscle and I never have been, I would have hoped something would have happened though.

Programs, ppl this past year. Prior to that I fecked around on everything from 5x5 to bigger leaner stronger

so what you're saying is you haven't really followed a program properly until this year?

with a decent program and adequate protein, you should have had some recomp going on if you've been eating at maintenance?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Also, what are your goals/focus? Strength, fitness, physique? A combo? There surely must have been progress somewhere...lifting more weight, lifting for more reps, doing more volume, doing higher intensity? If following a programme, there is always progress or there should be.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Something magical? You know what the problem is.

I was the same tho, frustrated at lack of progress when I'm too scared of GETTING FAT AGAIN to eat enough to properly build anything. Bite the bullet, take more bites of more foods or if you're not comfortable with that you just have to accept that you can't build muscle from nothing and find something else to focus on.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

Something magical? You know what the problem is.

I was the same tho, frustrated at lack of progress when I'm too scared of GETTING FAT AGAIN to eat enough to properly build anything. Bite the bullet, take more bites of more foods or if you're not comfortable with that you just have to accept that you can't build muscle from nothing and find something else to focus on.

Yes you've hit the nail on the head. It's the fear off getting fat again. It's a damn hard fear to get over as maybe I can't
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Also, what are your goals/focus? Strength, fitness, physique? A combo? There surely must have been progress somewhere...lifting more weight, lifting for more reps, doing more volume, doing higher intensity? If following a programme, there is always progress or there should be.

For me it's always been about looks. I look fine with a t-shirt on but take it off and I look fat just a smaller version of fat, I've got loose skin etc. Lifting weights was supposed to fix that. I can't say it's done much
  • dave_in_ni
    Options

so what you're saying is you haven't really followed a program properly until this year?

with a decent program and adequate protein, you should have had some recomp going on if you've been eating at maintenance?

I can't say I've noticed much difference to be honest.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

For me it's always been about looks. I look fine with a t-shirt on but take it off and I look fat just a smaller version of fat, I've got loose skin etc. Lifting weights was supposed to fix that. I can't say it's done much

the only thing that fixes loose skin is surgery, if it hasn't improved after 2 years of maintenance.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    How about this experiment? Set your calories for 100-120 cal surplus per day. Enough to gain about 1 lb in 1 month. Pump iron 3 months. See if you like the results.

All these gadgets and calculators and our cultural fascination with expert opinions discourage old fashioned trial and error. Look around the gym. How many of the best built guys do you think are overweight in BMI terms? Plenty I bet. And some who have both lower BMIs and are very fit, just have better genes than some of us.

According to your post, you’re so dissatisfied you’re thinking of dumping the whole project. Try, experiment, test something different. Why not? You don’t like what you’ve got now. There’s more than one path.

And if you want a look into the real world laboratory for where you are, check out internet sites for women who lift. You will find lots of women who have decided they can live with some extra lbs to get the bodies they want. Lots of discussion of how countless hrs of cardio had gotten them nothing but skinny fat bodies. Ditched it all to lift and are very happy. There’s a lot out there.

BTW, I’ve lost a lot and have been maintaining for 12 years. I’ve had to reinvent myself about 6-7 times.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    How about this experiment? Set your calories for 100-120 cal surplus per day. Enough to gain about 1 lb in 1 month. Pump iron 3 months. See if you like the results.

All these gadgets and calculators and our cultural fascination with expert opinions discourage old fashioned trial and error. Look around the gym. How many of the best built guys do you think are overweight in BMI terms? Plenty I bet. And some who have both lower BMIs and are very fit, just have better genes than some of us.

According to your post, you’re so dissatisfied you’re thinking of dumping the whole project. Try, experiment, test something different. Why not? You don’t like what you’ve got now. There’s more than one path.

And if you want a look into the real world laboratory for where you are, check out internet sites for women who lift. You will find lots of women who have decided they can live with some extra lbs to get the bodies they want. Lots of discussion of how countless hrs of cardio had gotten them nothing but skinny fat bodies. Ditched it all to lift and are very happy. There’s a lot out there.

BTW, I’ve lost a lot and have been maintaining for 12 years. I’ve had to reinvent myself about 6-7 times.

I'm actually a guy lol. But point taken. I could give myself until the end of the year with a slight surplus. I have tried in the past but when the scales start moving I panic, cut again and get stuck in a loop of going no where.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »

I'm actually a guy lol. But point taken. I could give myself until the end of the year with a slight surplus. I have tried in the past but when the scales start moving I panic, cut again and get stuck in a loop of going no where.

Give yourself time to see the strength gains before you panic and cut again. That might be enough positive feedback to convince you to stick with it. And be prepared to see a 2-3 pound gain initially anyway, simply from food volume and a bit of additional water weight.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    @dave_in_ni I understand you’re a guy. Vanguard of recomp right now seems to women who are into heavy lifting.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Do you work with a trainer?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    the only thing that fixes loose skin is surgery, if it hasn't improved after 2 years of maintenance.

That's a pretty general statement. It would depend on the amount of loose skin, the length of time the weight has been off, the amount of body fat, the amount of muscle grown, the speed in which the weight was lost...a whole lot of factors really.

One way to reduce the look of loose skin is to build muscle, and since muscle is more dense than fat, 5 lbs of muscle will not fill in the space of 5 lbs of fat. So it takes more muscle, and you can't build that amount of muscle without a surplus of calories. A bulk.

There is a cycle of bulking and cutting, bulking and cutting. Just remember the cutting part of the cycle so that the "getting fat again" fear doesn't become a reality.

Bulk, train, rest. Cut, train, rest.