Fitness at home

Options
What are you favourite workouts to do at home that are actually effective? I know the best ways to build muscle i.e that sculpted bum etc, is to lift weights but I can't currently afford a gym membership so will have to make do with home workouts.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises can be very effective. A TRX or similar setup is fairly inexpensive, a 1-time fee, and extremely versatile.

Aside from that... I like a proper diet and trail running.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle with body weight exercises and proper nutrition. People in prison do.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Check out hasfit.com
  • knowleka
    knowleka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use the free videos on amazon prime, also there is a little known nhs website called nhs fitness studio, have no idea wjy they don't promote that! Also march on spot during tv ad breaks, these work for me amd i struggle to exercise with fibromyalgia
  • Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle with body weight exercises and proper nutrition. People in prison do.

That's a very good point ahahaa
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    body on demand, 99 bucks a year.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Body weight exercises can be very effective. A TRX or similar setup is fairly inexpensive, a 1-time fee, and extremely versatile.

Aside from that... I like a proper diet and trail running.

I paid $20 for a TRX clone I am very happy with (eBay). I hang it on a $12 doorway pull up bar.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What kind of equipment do you have? Strong Curves is a great program for the glutes and there is an at home program that can be done with bodyweight and some minor equipment. As time goes on you can add bands, dumbbells, kettlebells etc.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    TRX is great, and there are really cheap ones available. But you have to have a place to mount it! I used it in the past until my last move. I cannot use it in my current apartment , so it's spent the last couple of years in the closet. If your apartment has a place to install it, you should consider giving it a try.

I tried doing bodyweight exercises from a book (you are your own gym, Mark Lauren) for a while, but it didn't motivate me too much, and I felt like I didn't make any progress, so I gave up after a while. But I've seen other people post great progress pics using that.

Now I started using workout videos from fitnessblender.com at the beginning of this year. They have some schedules ("programmes") you can buy to follow, or you just use their search function to select individual workouts (free).
    I bought some dumbbells and have been doing the "FB Strong" programme a few times and will probably try "FB Mass" next. but they also have workouts without equipment - most of the videos actually, I think.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A jump rope, a $30 TRX knock off from Amazon, a set of stairs, and bodyweight exercises will get you far.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I picked up inexpensive hand weights at Walmart. I also own a few Leslie Sansone videos and I like HASfit on YouTube. Walking is also something just about everyone can do.
  • mds1207
    mds1207 Posts: 42 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    YouTube HASFIT (45 min total body just body weight and 30 min total body w/ dumbells) and walking.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jillian Michael dvds they don't cost much and all you really need is dumb bells. But you can find them on YouTube
  • Bubblemar
    Bubblemar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    TRX is great, and there are really cheap ones available. But you have to have a place to mount it! I used it in the past until my last move. I cannot use it in my current apartment , so it's spent the last couple of years in the closet. If your apartment has a place to install it, you should consider giving it a try.

I tried doing bodyweight exercises from a book (you are your own gym, Mark Lauren) for a while, but it didn't motivate me too much, and I felt like I didn't make any progress, so I gave up after a while. But I've seen other people post great progress pics using that.

Now I started using workout videos from fitnessblender.com at the beginning of this year. They have some schedules ("programmes") you can buy to follow, or you just use their search function to select individual workouts (free).
    I bought some dumbbells and have been doing the "FB Strong" programme a few times and will probably try "FB Mass" next. but they also have workouts without equipment - most of the videos actually, I think.

I'm in a rented property at the moment so don't know if i'd be able to install something. But investing in some dumbbells seems like a good idea.
  • BeezBeez
    BeezBeez Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jillian Michael dvds they don't cost much and all you really need is dumb bells. But you can find them on YouTube

I was going to say the same. I picked up 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and a couple others on DVD for about 5 bucks each, but I'm sure you can find them online at this point. I lost inches and pounds and felt SO much stronger doing those, and I keep coming back to them because they're so straightforward and effective.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Look for fitnessblender on YouTube. They do free exercise routines, or you can buy inexpensive programmes from their website. There is also beachbody on demand which is good, don't think it cost much either.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Bubblemar wrote: »

I'm in a rented property at the moment so don't know if i'd be able to install something. But investing in some dumbbells seems like a good idea.

If your budget is tight you can find a lot of used and very affordable fitness equipment for sale used.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    At home I do Kettlebells as my primary workout. There is tons of body weight exercises you can do as well, pushups, one arm pushups, pullups, etc.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Bubblemar wrote: »

I connect my TRX clone to a door mount pull up bar. The design of most pull up bars on the market today don't do any damage to most doors unless the trim is extremely soft wood. that's not optimum height but it's good enough for about 90% of the common exercises.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You could get a pair of adjustable dumbbells. I got a pair of plain 1" dumbbell bars on amazon and then plates at walmart.