Runners High!!

Options
Hello MPF,

I am currently training for my first half marathon on September 24th! I ran 10 miles last Sunday.

I was wondering when will I hit that “Runner’s High” feeling everyone talks about. At what mile does everyone hit it? What does it feel like?

I so need to experience it, because running sucks sometimes :)

Replies

• goodbyeexcess
    Options
    Runners high for me is where all I can think about is running, all I want to do is run, and I'm making goals in my head for how long or how fast I'll run next time. Pretty much it's constantly thinking about running.
  • MikeVT93
    MikeVT93 Posts: 13
    Options
    Keep it up! You'll know it when you feel it. For me, it was when I saw the finish line of my first half. It's well worth the time and effort you put into your training.

I just started running in 2009, and have completed the Disney Half Marathon in 2010 and 2011. Good luck on your first Half!
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's rarely at the same point for me at my runs. Sometimes it's when I have been running 2 kilometers, sometimes 8 and sometimes it's after the run is finished. But it's the best feeling really. It's like you don't have to think about the running, you just become on with the legs and the breathing, and any pain or "heavy legs" you felt just a minute ago suddenly goes away.

The first time I finished my 10 kilometer route without stopping or walking it came at about 2 kilometers, and from that until the end of the run I couldn't stop smiling, and at times I was even laughing out loud. Probably looked quite scary to other people :)

/k
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's not something that happens all the time... usually for me it's right after finishing a race, or sometimes in the middle of a long run... I feel a sort of tingle/chill sensation for a minute or so if it happens while running. If it's right after a race, usually I'm really giddy and chatty for a few minutes.

Different strokes for different folks! Best of luck in your half!
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks alot everyone! Hopefully I get it when I cross that finish line!