Does protein get cooked out of extra lean beef?

Options
So as of lately I've been making my own homemade burgers. The extra lean beef I buy is 42g of protein and 20g of fat for 200g. That's raw I think because it doesn't say cooked on the package. But when I cook the burger it shrinks down to 115g so I'm kind of wondering if I'm still getting the 42g of protein.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. =D

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would still be getting the 42 g of protein. Most of the weight lost will be water, some will be fat (grease). I recommend weighing and logging as the raw weight.
  • Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you very much!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So as of lately I've been making my own homemade burgers. The extra lean beef I buy is 42g of protein and 20g of fat for 200g. That's raw I think because it doesn't say cooked on the package. But when I cook the burger it shrinks down to 115g so I'm kind of wondering if I'm still getting the 42g of protein.

When you cook it, it releases water and some fat drippings...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No. Nothing to worry about.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When you cook it, it releases water and some fat drippings...

Unless you are cooking it to the consistency of charcoal, in which case you would lose some of the protein... 😜
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others, and even if you lost a bit, it would still be within the margin of error that goes along with logging.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Are you wet when under water....??🤔