Apple watch

Options
Hello--I was looking at possibly getting an Apple watch. Just wondering if it will sync seamlessly with MFP like my Fitbit does. Thanks in advance

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It can.

Though same sync delays/issues is a potential on MFP side there too.

But a potential plus is that workouts sync across as their own entries.

The negative on that is that Apple doesn't send a daily calorie burn that actually includes those workouts (and other activity considered more than normal), so that MFP can do the proper math for eating goal adjustment.

So if main/only purpose is to log workouts on MFP easier because you like MFP's exercise diary - you got it made.

If main purpose was for MFP to correct itself for your eating goal based on what you actually do - failure.
    And no easy way around it.

If purpose is step count to be seen and tracked/graphed - great there too.
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch - that said, it does not sync well with MFP (it doesn't do well when you combine a high step count with a lot of exercise).

To me, it's worth it because I really like my Apple Watch and I've learned to workaround the issue. I'd do a search (there are a LOT of threads where people have issues syncing their Apple Watch).

Good luck!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have use the FITiv app on my watch (& phone as the data syncs through Apple Health) -for my gym routine (intervals and lifting) and the apple watch exercise options for the out of gym stuff and it does indeed sync with MFP and adjust recommended daily calories. The intervals/lifting ports over as "circuit training" which is fine by me. "Daily activity" which is not designated as "exercise" doesn't impact calorie burn for mfp purposes, but one of the things I like about the FITiv app is that all the activity/rest calories burnt shows up there and I actually get a pretty decent estimate for TDEE.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was so looking forward to returning to MFP once I got my Apple Watch, but the truth is the exercises don't sync in any consistent way. It syncs all of my yoga workouts and strength training, but any high impact aerobic training....nothing. If I call it "dance" it can, but it pulls nothing else. I'm not sure why, but I've wasted way too much time trying to correct it.

I love my watch and this frustrating glitch gives me another reason not to purchase the mfp app.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, premium would give you nothing regarding syncing except to have any exercise calories (where the adjustments happen to be put too) not adjust your daily calories & macros.

Which is sounds like you discovered happens already anyway.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I could never buy an Apple watch. It would never survive me. That glass dome face would be shatteredin a month or less. :D:D:D
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit 2 now, and wear it when playing hockey. It starts tracking that as exercise right away. Could I wear the Apple watch when I skate as well?