Vegan/vegetarian in my 40s with a 30lb goal

Options
Hoping to connect with others to share recipes and support!

Replies

• mattmcpa
    mattmcpa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You bet! How has your journey been thus far? Tell me about it.
  • MissMeanie10
    MissMeanie10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same here!
    I’ve found Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker and Appetite For Reduction helpful.
  • beaperkins
    beaperkins Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have been vegan for over a decade. You can do it. Three years ago I lost 30 pounds over a 1 year span. I'm back on MFP because some of those (8) have crept back on due to my inactivity and laziness during the summer. Weight loss as a vegan is slower than most, and being over 40 only means you have to be more disciplined. Let's support each other!
  • goldiesocks
    goldiesocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options

mattmcpa wrote: »
    You bet! How has your journey been thus far? Tell me about it.

Hi Matt! I just started and as you can see from my delay, I’m still figuring things out. Do you want to share how this app works best for you?
  • goldiesocks
    Options
    Same here!
    I’ve found Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker and Appetite For Reduction helpful.
    Nice! Thanks for the recommendations. I love it!
    My favorite cookbooks right now are by Anna Jones. Modern Way to Eat and Modern Way to Cook. Some of the recipes include dairy but my favs don’t and they are easily adaptable.
    This is a favorite fall recipe:
    http://consciouscleanse.com/curried-carrot-soup/
  • goldiesocks
    Options
    beaperkins wrote: »
    I'm 48 and have been vegan for over a decade. You can do it. Three years ago I lost 30 pounds over a 1 year span. I'm back on MFP because some of those (8) have crept back on due to my inactivity and laziness during the summer. Weight loss as a vegan is slower than most, and being over 40 only means you have to be more disciplined. Let's support each other!

It seems like things creep back so fast as I get older! Do you know why it is slower for a vegan to loose weight?

I would love to support you!

• KungfuPandin
    KungfuPandin Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Also a vegan I'm 38yrs ok. not the best of healthy vegans recently 😂 which is why I'm back here. Hoping to shed the last 10kg or at least be the healthiest version I can be of myself.
  • MissMeanie10
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Also a vegan I'm 38yrs ok. not the best of healthy vegans recently 😂 which is why I'm back here. Hoping to shed the last 10kg or at least be the healthiest version I can be of myself.

I’m recently 38 as well. I’ve not been doing well either-a lot of stress eating and birthday indulgences, but back to it!

BTW, I love that you said “healthiest version” of self. ☺️ It’s such a positive way to frame the journey.
  • goldiesocks
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sounds like great goals. Welcome back!!
  • MissMeanie10
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hey all!

I just tried the personalized vegan Gainful protein powder (cookies & cream flavor) that’s been advertised on my FB feed.

I have to say, I was disappointed. It had a weird taste (too much stevia?) and was chalky.

I like the MRM Veggie Meal Replacement. What do you like?
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Welcome! I'm vegan, too. I am focused on being a healthy vegan. I am using Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live as a roadmap. I have gotten recipes from that book, from his cookbook, and from web searches. I am feeling great and losing weight steadily.
    I made red beans today using this recipe, and loved them:
    http://amysnutritariankitchen.blogspot.com/2014/06/vegan-red-beans-and-rice.html
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    Hey there! Welcome! I've been vegan for 10.5 years. I'm in my last year of my nutrition degree if you ever need any advice x feel free to send me a request on here so we can support each other x
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    beaperkins wrote: »

It seems like things creep back so fast as I get older! Do you know why it is slower for a vegan to loose weight?

I would love to support you!

It's not. Vegans lose weight the same way everyone else does, though a calorie deficit.
  • Anlaw26
    Anlaw26 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’m 37 and been vegan for about a year. Initially I lost almost 10lbs, but then I discovered vegan junk food and several vegan comfort food restaurants, and it crept back up on me, so I’m back on here trying to take it back off! Looking to lose 20 myself. I love to cook though, and have many great recipes to share if anyone is interested. 😛 I found a lot of great healthy plant based recipes in the Forks Over Knives cookbook, but also absolutely LOVE every recipe from the Hotforfood cookbook! Hotforfood not as healthy though, but has all the comfort food classics like buffalo chicken sammiches and lasagna 😋
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Have more to shake off than the rest of you guys, 82lbs exactly 😀

Vegetarian for years and eat vegan often. Would love some friends that log regularly! Often don’t hit macros so would love some inspiration
  • goldiesocks
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Anlaw26 wrote: »
    I’m 37 and been vegan for about a year. Initially I lost almost 10lbs, but then I discovered vegan junk food and several vegan comfort food restaurants, and it crept back up on me, so I’m back on here trying to take it back off! Looking to lose 20 myself. I love to cook though, and have many great recipes to share if anyone is interested. 😛 I found a lot of great healthy plant based recipes in the Forks Over Knives cookbook, but also absolutely LOVE every recipe from the Hotforfood cookbook! Hotforfood not as healthy though, but has all the comfort food classics like buffalo chicken sammiches and lasagna 😋

Why is vegan junk food so good?! 😂

Thanks for the recommendations!!