Restaurant portions

Options

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I have generally found that the "finer" the dining experience, the more reasonable the portion sizes are. Places that are putting more thought into their food are often more particular about plating and less likely to try to impress a diner with a huge portion. They want it to look good, not huge (not that the two are mutually exclusive).

There are exceptions, but this has been my experience.

Fine dining restaurants do usually have smaller portions, but sometimes they are even more calorie filled than the meals at the casual restaurants. That's because the things that make things the tastiest are usually the worst for you. Fatty meats (not your basic cuts, but the nice fancy cuts are typically fat filled), creams, sauces, etc.

Sometimes when it comes strictly to calorie counting, fast food is better than most of the "nicer" restaurants.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't mind eating leftovers, so we'll eat about half or our meals and take the rest home. I get out of cooking a meal--sometimes two! Bring it on! If we're traveling and can't take food with us, we split a meal. Traveling with my singing group, two of us will often order a meal to split. Some restaurants are better about that than others--especially with a good wait person who wants a good tip.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I have generally found that the "finer" the dining experience, the more reasonable the portion sizes are. Places that are putting more thought into their food are often more particular about plating and less likely to try to impress a diner with a huge portion. They want it to look good, not huge (not that the two are mutually exclusive).

Fine dining restaurants do usually have smaller portions, but sometimes they are even more calorie filled than the meals at the casual restaurants. That's because the things that make things the tastiest are usually the worst for you. Fatty meats (not your basic cuts, but the nice fancy cuts are typically fat filled), creams, sauces, etc.

Sometimes when it comes strictly to calorie counting, fast food is better than most of the "nicer" restaurants.

You're absolutely right, but I perceived OP's comments to be about the size or volume of food, not necessarily the calorie content. If one is looking exclusively on a calorie level, it may be better to choose a fast food place.

Of course, I've also been to fine dining restaurants that are happy to either hold fattier elements of the dish or offer options that are appropriate for someone who is looking to hit a certain calorie goal.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It must depend on the restaurant.

Whenever we are overseas, I’ve had people mention large portion sizes in the US. I’ve always thought that was an over generalization.
    At least in my experience- the restaurants I frequent here in NYC do smaller portions.

Just wondering: has anyone else noticed how ridiculously oversized restaurant portions are?

Ever since I've started losing weight, it has become increasingly obvious to me how grossly disproportionate the sizes are. It's like 3 servings in one, if not more. The other day, I split a chocolate chunk cookie from Barnes and Noble with someone because I knew I wouldn't eat the entire thing myself as it was too big for me- it was like four cookies in one.

My question is this: have you been to a restaurant where the portion sizes are a bit more reasonable?

• Safari_Gal
    Options
    If you think US restaurant portions are over sized, it's nothing compared to your average lunch place in Latin America. I swear they put an entire bag of rice on your place just to start.

@MikePTY - I laughed when I read this! I lived in Colombia briefly - I’ve never had so much rice! ☺️
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just wondering: has anyone else noticed how ridiculously oversized restaurant portions are?

Ever since I've started losing weight, it has become increasingly obvious to me how grossly disproportionate the sizes are. It's like 3 servings in one, if not more. The other day, I split a chocolate chunk cookie from Barnes and Noble with someone because I knew I wouldn't eat the entire thing myself as it was too big for me- it was like four cookies in one.

My question is this: have you been to a restaurant where the portion sizes are a bit more reasonable?

Yes. If you have one near you, Cotton Patch has meals in two sizes. One is the standard larger portion and the other, though intended for Seniors, is a smaller size. This smaller size is hearty enough to satisfy but not too big for the Marines.

You can also ask for lunch meal portions in just about any good restaurant these days. In fact, I have even been known to order from the children's menu in some places.

Another thing you can do is split the meal with someone else. That helps both persons. Hubby and I do.

Lastly, if the place says no to the above, or none of those will work, go ahead and split it up on your own plate and ask for a container. Immediately upon arrival home, freeze it! That way you can have a quick meal that's halfsies later on.

Hope this helps!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    If you think US restaurant portions are over sized, it's nothing compared to your average lunch place in Latin America. I swear they put an entire bag of rice on your place just to start.

@MikePTY - I laughed when I read this! I lived in Colombia briefly - I’ve never had so much rice! ☺️

Hmmm interesting. I noticed when I was in mexico (cozumel) they gave such tiny portions of rice and beans compared to what you get at a mexican restaurant here in the US. (I noticed the same thing at two separate restaurants while I was there)
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Hmmm interesting. I noticed when I was in mexico (cozumel) they gave such tiny portions of rice and beans compared to what you get at a mexican restaurant here in the US. (I noticed the same thing at two separate restaurants while I was there)

Interesting! I’ll have to eyeball the rice portion at our local Mexican place in west village! It’s on! ☺️ (I don’t eat rice anymore - I’ll peek at the other tables lol)

In Bogota, my food was always swimming in a vat of tasty rice though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Because they're a fine-dining establishment, they are going for quality of the food over quantity. This may be something to consider. Thank you!

Doesn't necessarily have to be "fine dining." One of my favorite local restaurants here is Farm and Table...they aren't fancy per sei...somewhere between casual and fine. They have their own working farm next to the restaurant property which is where much of their food comes from and they source the rest from other local farms in the state. Their portions are neither what I would consider large or small...basically the same as I would give myself at home. They are a bit pricey, but their food is always super fresh and well prepared. We don't eat out all that often, so we don't mind paying a bit more for top shelf quality.

Their brunch is the best because the chefs use a lot of what was remaining from the previous evenings meal and do a lot of unique things...I like the duck omelette.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

Interesting! I’ll have to eyeball the rice portion at our local Mexican place in west village! It’s on! ☺️ (I don’t eat rice anymore - I’ll peek at the other tables lol)

In Bogota, my food was always swimming in a vat of tasty rice though!

I'm in Panama, which used to be a part of Colombia, and the food traditions between the two countries are very similar, so it could be just our type of thing. But when I order rice with lunch I swear they give me like 6 cups of cooked rice. It's crazy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't typically like chains. I'll pick a local restaurant every time if I have the choice (even if logging is a real pain)... and no, typically the portions are not insane (except the protein portion, for some reason... I don't need a 10oz steak or two breasts of chicken!).

I mean, heck, even a (relatively) standard meal at a chain is maybe 1400 calories (if you don't have dessert, then all bets are off). Honestly... I can fit that in... pretty easily, in fact. I just have to make a bit more of an effort that day to get my 10,000 steps... (but yes I probably won't get a deficit that day, so it's maybe a 2x a month thing).

Desserts though... yeah no. And I had to laugh at the 'that cookie was worth 4 cookies and I couldn't possibly eat the whole thing'. I'd have no problem eating 4 cookies... or 5 or 8. The calories of dessert are just completely insane, and you bet I won't waste calories on it unless it's a really good place.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think paying for quality, not quantity is important. My boyfriend and I like to eat out and we've spent over 500$ on a meal that we both finished most of, leaving behind a lot of the dessert. The food was amazing though.

Typical date night ranges from 100-250 for the two of us. It's never a chain restaurant. The only one we had leftovers from was Duck Duck Goat.

Regular eating out is about 30-60 for the two of us. It's typically a chain restaurant. I always have leftovers, unless I just order an appetizer and eat some of his. It's usually leftover fries, rice, bread, potato, pasta and about half the meat.

This is just to show the typical correlation between price and the amount of stuff that is extra on our plates.

I also dislike large portions in restaurant because I think it's a waste and encourages overeating. I typically look for tapas/small plates type restaurants. Or, restaurants with an extensive appetizer/starter selection. I love to share food. We can order a few starters for us to share. And then he can still get an entree if he wants.

But, eating in a fine dining restaurant doesn't always have to be very expensive. A chicken dish is usually around 27 dollars. A starter soup is usually around 10 and an additional appetizer is 12. Split that between 2 people is plenty of food and is a quality meal for under 60, including tip. I'd rather have that once a week than 3 other meals out that are crummy food for 20$.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    They sure didn’t seem so huge in the past. It has a lot to do with the fact that we simply know better than to wolf down such
    huge portions. I don’t think the portions changed, just my perception of what constitutes a lot of food.
    And I agree they can keep the fancy stuff with the pretty little decorative plates in the kitchen...and no I don’t want kiwi on my salad !
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We used to have weekly meeting at the Claim Jumper.
    They serve the biggest portions I have ever seen.
    The 6 layer mother load chocolate cake weighed in around 4 pounds and has 3410 calories per slice.
    6 or 7 of us would eat 1 slice.
    https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/PNZZEGCsShfvfJ5Oi2WRAA/o.jpg
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Cotton Patch has a “lighter” section of their menu. The portions are reasonable and calorie counts in the 500-700 calories range for an entrée. It’s home style cooking at a low price.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Because they're a fine-dining establishment, they are going for quality of the food over quantity. This may be something to consider. Thank you!

Yep. I don’t have a refined palate so that’s all lost in me. I’m actually happy about that. Don’t care for restaurants in general.

It might just be where I live or the particular restaurants that I've been to around here but I never think the food at these "fine dining" places are that great. They just seem to put a lot of effort and money into their "ambiance" and plating, and extra table service and crap like that, when I really DGAF about any of that, I just want good food lol. If I'm paying a ton of money to eat somewhere, I feel like the food should be out of this world delicious, and I'm always pretty disappointed.

The best burrito I've had came from a restaurant inside a gas station.

This isn't really relevant to the OP, sorry.

Sheetz FTW.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ACDodd wrote: »
    The 6 layer mother load chocolate cake weighed in around 4 pounds and has 3410 calories per slice.

Claim Jumper served me the single most ridiculous sandwich I've ever ordered. It was a vegetable sandwich with avocado, I can't remember the name. Anyway, this thing easily had two whole avocados on it. And it was meant to be served with cheese and mayo (which I had held on my order)! I love avocado, but it seemed like a lot even to me.
  • Safari_Gal
    Options
    ACDodd wrote: »

Claim Jumper served me the single most ridiculous sandwich I've ever ordered. It was a vegetable sandwich with avocado, I can't remember the name. Anyway, this thing easily had two whole avocados on it. And it was meant to be served with cheese and mayo (which I had held on my order)! I love avocado, but it seemed like a lot even to me.

@janejellyroll @ACDodd

What the heck is Claim Jumper? Googling. :)