Military chow halls and CICO

Options
Does anyone have experience eating in military chow halls while staying within their designated calorie allotment? I will be working (and eating) on overseas military bases for several months and while I have done this before, I wasn't doing CICO. Do they post calorie counts somewhere, either online or somewhere in the DFAC? I've been weighing all my food for the last 7 months and having success, but I won't be able to weigh my food while I'm overseas.

Breakfast is easier to navigate because they always have hard boiled eggs, fruit, and single servings of prepackaged cold cereal. But if you ask for "just one spoonful" of oatmeal they still ladle it into the bowl until it's full, and I don't trust my ability to judge proper portion size yet. It gets even more tricky for lunch and dinner, and I remember from past deployments that things like "steamed broccoli" were actually "steamed and buttered broccoli." I know the salad bar is always an option, but six months of cold iceberg lettuce (not even romaine, and forget greens like arugula or frisee) doesn't thrill me at all.

I have a vegan coworker who bought "just add water" or heat and eat food online for her entire time overseas, but I'm neither vegan nor willing to do that.

If anyone, either military or deployed civilian, has any experience with this please share your insights. I'm afraid of undoing all my progress!

NB: eating off base or buying groceries is not an option.

Replies

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I found this online. It appears to have been produced by some department or other of the military. Other than the advice on eggs (limit to 3 or 4 per week due to concerns about cholesterol take) which is questionable at best, it is a great tip sheet. See #70.

https://usaphcapps.amedd.army.mil/HIOShoppingCart/Uploads/DownloadableProds/64_101_Ways_Eat_Better_Poster.pdf
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Look at what the options are, you can either do a quick line, burger or grilled chicken or you can do the main lines.

When I was in Iraq and Kosovo I did the grill line, typically rice and chicken for my meals with some veggies / fruit off the salad bar. ( cant say it was fresh..... haha)

I plan to do the same when Im in over there in the future.

Eat to fuel your body! Not to curb hunger or just put something in your gut.

Its possible just takes a little bit of doing on your part.

DFAC's provide MASS feedings, easy quick meals for lots of people.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I have been in both UK and American DFACs overseas (Iraq, Afghanistan & Kuwait) and had no problem maintaining my weight, I ate mostly chicken salads or made sandwiches for lunch with fruit and veg where possible and then curry or whatever lean protein and veg was around in the evening, I still had the occasional KFC or Pizza Hut too.

Just make better choices and log as best you can if you have access. If you've been weighing food for 7 months you probably have a far better judge of what you're eating now and portion sizes than you would have had previously.

I found I was a lot more active out there too, there's not a whole lot to do besides going to the gym, walking or binge-watching boxsets. Just stay away from the PX and their ridiculously under-priced sugary delights and you'll be fine:lol:

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    The last time I was in one in February there were no nutrition listings anywhere. I just guesstimated high and assumed everything was prepared from frozen or canned.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You'll have to guesstimate a lot. All that weighing and calorie counting experience builds up so that after a number of months you can eyeball what 6oz of chicken looks like. Not going to be perfect, so make sure you increase your activity to adjust for the higher margin of error.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have had an issue with my weight in the military if it hadn't been for all that drinking, lol. I also didn't when I was in Okinawa and active. But Sedentary Party Animal at my next duty station was a problem. And I fixed that by upping exercise again.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience eating in military chow halls while staying within their designated calorie allotment? I will be working (and eating) on overseas military bases for several months and while I have done this before, I wasn't doing CICO. Do they post calorie counts somewhere, either online or somewhere in the DFAC? I've been weighing all my food for the last 7 months and having success, but I won't be able to weigh my food while I'm overseas.

Breakfast is easier to navigate because they always have hard boiled eggs, fruit, and single servings of prepackaged cold cereal. But if you ask for "just one spoonful" of oatmeal they still ladle it into the bowl until it's full, and I don't trust my ability to judge proper portion size yet. It gets even more tricky for lunch and dinner, and I remember from past deployments that things like "steamed broccoli" were actually "steamed and buttered broccoli." I know the salad bar is always an option, but six months of cold iceberg lettuce (not even romaine, and forget greens like arugula or frisee) doesn't thrill me at all.

I have a vegan coworker who bought "just add water" or heat and eat food online for her entire time overseas, but I'm neither vegan nor willing to do that.

If anyone, either military or deployed civilian, has any experience with this please share your insights. I'm afraid of undoing all my progress!

NB: eating off base or buying groceries is not an option.

Hi @Ninkasi
    I agree with all the gang above @funjen1972 @jdmac82 there may be some slight guesstimating going on. A commercial ladle is 8 ounces if that helps! 👍🏻

Maybe focus on the entree, chicken breast etc rather then the sides? Let us know how it goes!! 🇺🇸

• lbryans929
    lbryans929 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow...wishing you the best! I agree with practicing your portioning before you go. When there, can you check your body weight regularly and then adjust accordingly?
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Get a bit of an oversized "to go plate", go back to your quarters, weigh out what you need, and Chuck the rest.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    @Ninkasi

Back in the day when I was military, the cooks were all well versed in nutrition and had to hit certain nutritional goals in every meal. I know chow halls have changed a lot over the years, but they do have a nutritional breakdown per item. Finding the right contact to get it might be tricky, but in a world of easily shared digital information it might be as easy as the right contact.
  • Milocmolly
    Milocmolly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try to stick with the meats and veggie sides. There is typically always fruit available also. However those carb heavy sides are what will kill your diet. Also remember to eat for fuel not for full. DFAC’s typically give huge portions. I’m 5lbs over my weight and when I have my drill weekends the DFAC is what I have a hard time with also.