Self-Made Billionaire

Options

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    What are YOU going to do when you win the Mega Millions drawing tonight?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-mega-millions-jackpot-nears-1-billion-hours-100812956--sector.html

$168 Million after all the deductions from $1billion is still a tidy penny. I'd keep $68M to disperse and use per my needs and desires. $100M I would take to Goldman Sachs to be divided into sets of $50M, for investments, one for profit and the other to fund my philanthropic interests, using exchange risk hedging +/- @6-8 months maturity, so all I will be spending/allotting are my ROIs.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @sarahbums If you took the lump sum (smarter way) you would be out of money pretty quick, after fed taxes you are left with 406 million. Texas has no state income on taxes.
    What it actually comes out to be after taxes by state:
    https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-much-youll-actually-take-home-from-the-900m-mega-m-1829841029

What type of person are you?:
    A: Playing the lottery is for fools, you will never win.
    B: pffft, I don't usually play but for two bucks at a chance for a billon I will play.
    C: OMG OMG I play it ALL the time! You gotta be in it to win it, I spend as much money as I can on lottery! I am going to win!!!1!!! I know it!!!!
    divided into sets of $50M, for investments
    Good thinking.

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    As much as I'd like to live lavishly I know a year after winning the lottery I'd just be sitting on an exercise ball in an empty suburban tract home with no furniture trying to make sense of why one person deserves having all that money in their possession. It would conflict my inner dharma.
  • borscht1
    borscht1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wait. If you win it then you're not self-made.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    As much as I'd like to live lavishly I know a year after winning the lottery I'd just be sitting on an exercise ball in an empty suburban tract home with no furniture trying to make sense of why one person deserves having all that money in their possession. It would conflict my inner dharma.
    .... while wiping your tears on $100 bills.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    What it actually comes out to be after taxes by state:
    https://twocents.lifehacker.com/how-much-youll-actually-take-home-from-the-900m-mega-m-1829841029

What type of person are you?:
    A: Playing the lottery is for fools, you will never win.
    B: pffft, I don't usually play but for two bucks at a chance for a billon I will play.
    C: OMG OMG I play it ALL the time! You gotta be in it to win it, I spend as much money as I can on lottery! I am going to win!!!1!!! I know it!!!!
    divided into sets of $50M, for investments
    Good thinking.

I'm a 'B' person today - one of, because of the jackpot and I prefer to not choose, rather "quick pick" it. Back when I was younger I would always purchase scratch tickets and was sure to win $50 almost every week. NZ didn't frown upon teenagers buying scratch tickets. It was fabulous supplementary allowance money for me every week, as a foreign student boarder.

The article failed to address the new tax bracket / the Federal taxes owed for this calendar year.
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Open a passbook savings account. Put rest in my coin purse.
  • CttyMoar
    CttyMoar Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, first I would buy a set of fake boobs.
  • CttyMoar
    CttyMoar Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    CttyMoar wrote: »
    To be brutally honest, first I would buy a set of fake boobs.

First? That's honestly the very first thing you would do?

why not tho?

I'd buy something to wear home from the surgeon, because whatever I had now would likely be too tight to fit afterward. Then second, get boobs.

30u8fpb958bk.gif

I mean, you're not wrong. I didn't claim to have it well thought out.

Somebody write this man down for 5% of my winnings.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In Canada the lottery is up to 60 million and over 50 plus 1 million additional prizes

But yeah if i won it i pay off my siblings and my mom bills past and present.. I would give to charity like cancer and chroan research for a cure. By my little brother and mom there dream home with maid and butler. And take them on trips. Then i would have my dream cars. Trucks
    And motorcycles plus what ever else i wanted. Like help my nieces and nephew out
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Statistically speaking if you didn't get attacked by a shark this year you have no chance to win this lottery drawing.
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Statistically speaking if you didn't get attacked by a shark this year you have no chance to win this lottery drawing.

This is not how statistics work.

How many lottery winners have been bitten by sharks ?

Just ribbing your word choice, I get your point
  • danavelling
    danavelling Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    What about struck by lightning? Isn’t it a better chance of getting struck by a bolt than winning the lottery?