Why Turkey?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle0 wrote: »
    Where I shop, in the UK, the lowest fat beef mince is 5-7% fat and turkey is 2%. Theres a reasonable cal difference so I get turkey. Same with sausages - turkey sausages actually have a nicer texture and are only about 80 cals for a normal sized sausage

I like chicken and turkey sausage better, but it's more expensive than pork for sure.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Lifestyle0 wrote: »
    Where I shop, in the UK, the lowest fat beef mince is 5-7% fat and turkey is 2%. Theres a reasonable cal difference so I get turkey. Same with sausages - turkey sausages actually have a nicer texture and are only about 80 cals for a normal sized sausage

I like chicken and turkey sausage better, but it's more expensive than pork for sure.

I used to get turkey hot dogs sometimes but switched to the higher end chicken sausages. I don't eat them often enough for the price difference (which is substantial) to have much impact. Some of those are really good.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this, myself. These are the answers I was given:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1263637/beef-vs-turkey/p1
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I actually hate ground turkey. It's healthier than most typical ground beef you'd find in my area though. For the most part, the beef that is 70/30 or 80/20 is far cheaper, usually costing around 2-3$ a pound. The ground turkey is a healthier option and costs around 4$ a pound. For me, it's not worth it though. I buy lean ground beef (93/7) when I can find it for a decent price, otherwise just enjoy the calories from a good 80/20 burger and portion it out. I think ground turkey tastes like cardboard. I may just not be good at cooking it though :D

Same thing with turkey sausage vs beef sausage. I can't do it haha
  • ShaniceOrrMartin
    ShaniceOrrMartin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    The one thing I notice is that the beef states that it is 95% lean whereas the turkey doesn't specify. I'm betting that the turkey is 85% lean and 15% fat at most. That would give it more calories and more fat than the leaner ground beef. It just depends on which leanness you're comparing. I think it might just be a misconception that ground turkey is "less fatty" and "healthier." Some people go by those common misconceptions and don't really ask why or bother looking at the nutrition label. Some people want to avoid red meat and eat ground turkey instead. I attached pics so you could compare the information based on the USDA website. You can also search yourself: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Excellent reply. By the looks of it I'm better of sticking to my 5 star beef mince as its the only red meat I eat besides the occasional kangaroo steak, no one ever talks about all the options etc when they are preaching the Turkey mince, I thought I was missing something. All down to preference in the end I suppose.
    Thanks!

Of the 3 I'd prefer the kangaroo. A bit of skippy in your diet is a treat and would be lower in fat than both turkey and beef.

I generally do however kangaroo mince can get dry very easily because of how low in fat it is, so I don't tend to buy the kangaroo mince as much unless I don't plan on reheating it for lunches etc.
    Kanagroo Meatballs though are the actual best.
  • ShaniceOrrMartin
    ShaniceOrrMartin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually hate ground turkey. It's healthier than most typical ground beef you'd find in my area though. For the most part, the beef that is 70/30 or 80/20 is far cheaper, usually costing around 2-3$ a pound. The ground turkey is a healthier option and costs around 4$ a pound. For me, it's not worth it though. I buy lean ground beef (93/7) when I can find it for a decent price, otherwise just enjoy the calories from a good 80/20 burger and portion it out. I think ground turkey tastes like cardboard. I may just not be good at cooking it though :D

Same thing with turkey sausage vs beef sausage. I can't do it haha

I only like turkey meatballs, not fan of the taste myself with anything else.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I assumed because it was leaner but never actually paid any attention because I'm not a fan of turkey. I also see a lot of people get turkey bacon and sausage when they are trying to lose weight. No comprendo. I like my pork.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I assumed because it was leaner but never actually paid any attention because I'm not a fan of turkey. I also see a lot of people get turkey bacon and sausage when they are trying to lose weight. No comprendo. I like my pork.

Turkey bacon is a crime against humanity.

And pigs.

And turkeys. :tongue:
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

And pigs.

@pinuplove hahaha

I saw duck bacon today at my local grocery store. I did think about it for a hot second. Then I was like naaaaaaaah.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why people tend to go for turkey mince over beef mince, a few have said that it has less fat but, at least where I live, turkey has much more fat than beef, not that I am against healthy fat, why do others use it?

Because for one, most people don't typically have much nutritional knowledge and they think it's leaner and healthier...there's nothing inherently unhealthy about a reasonable amount of dietary fat...in fact, it is essential. And if people compared apples to apples in terms of fat content, they would see that there is very little nutritional difference...93% ground beef is going to be pretty much the same as 93% ground turkey, etc.

I've never done the whole turkey thing because I burned out on it when I was a kid...one of my dad's best friends was a turkey farmer and we had turkey everything all of the time. I only eat turkey at Thanksgiving which I enjoy..but turkey burgers, turkey dogs, turkey bacon, etc...never.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i could see duck bacon. it has a higher fat content typically

forget bacon. i had popcorn chicken fried pork belly.

ground turkey usually has lower fat content compared to a similarily priced ground beef. (in my area). i don't like turkey burgers, but turkey joes, chilli and the sort of thing where it is a carrier of flavor, i like.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

And pigs.

I still cannot eat/smell bacon after having it as my last meal before a nasty stomach virus back in the beginning of the year. It's been quite a loss. :'(

So, I admit, I do eat turkey bacon...for now. I don't mind it but it's certainly not a sub for bacon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

And pigs.

I still cannot eat/smell bacon after having it as my last meal before a nasty stomach virus back in the beginning of the year. It's been quite a loss. :'(

So, I admit, I do eat turkey bacon...for now. I don't mind it but it's certainly not a sub for bacon.

It took me forever to be able to eat chili again for the same reason lol. I'm still not over French onion soup...
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »

And pigs.

@pinuplove hahaha

I saw duck bacon today at my local grocery store. I did think about it for a hot second. Then I was like naaaaaaaah.

Isn't duck the fattiest poultry anyway? What is the point?
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    In my area lean ground turkey is way less expensive than lean ground beef. I do ground turkey or soy crumbles for environmental reasons but some (very bad) grocery stores don't have leaner ground beef so this might be a reason too? Easier to find?

ETA can an Australian fill me in on eating kangaroo? I once met a group of Australians that told me kangaroos were extremely dangerous and destructive, do people hunt them to keep populations down? I'm pretty sure the Australians were messing with me though because they said kangaroos can balance on their tails to bunnykick an opponent.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

And pigs.

It took me forever to be able to eat chili again for the same reason lol. I'm still not over French onion soup...

I had the same experience with sugar cookies. And I wasn't even eating them, just baking and decorating. But the aroma was there in my brain when I got sick, and I couldn't eat them for years.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »

And pigs.

@pinuplove hahaha

Isn't duck the fattiest poultry anyway? What is the point?

It appeals to me. I don't eat mammals. I haven't seen duck bacon. Turkey bacon is kind of meh. I have had good turkey and chicken sausages, including breakfast sausages. High end somewhat eclectic flavored chicken sausages have become a thing.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a clean eater "thing". I've had turkey mince prescribed to me back in the days when I used to eat off a meal plan a coach wrote up. And when I asked why it had to be that and couldn't I just eat normal mince as long as the calories were the same, I got told to shut up, stop questioning and "trust the process".

Effing hate that line "trust the process"

Always spouted by "coaches" who don't actually know what they are doing and can't explain the whys of things.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I still cannot eat/smell bacon after having it as my last meal before a nasty stomach virus back in the beginning of the year
    I had a stomach virus when I was a kid... (I am old) My mother made pork roast and still get nauseous from the smell of roasted pork.

Turkey bacon, depends on the brand, some are *AWFUL*, a few are not too bad. Turkey Sausage is pretty good. I have had both breakfast and Italian versions and enjoyed both. With enough spices you don't notice it.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i could see duck bacon. it has a higher fat content typically

forget bacon. i had popcorn chicken fried pork belly.

ground turkey usually has lower fat content compared to a similarily priced ground beef. (in my area). i don't like turkey burgers, but turkey joes, chilli and the sort of thing where it is a carrier of flavor, i like.

Pork belly!!! Coming to your house.