first-time hummus-user

Options
ok, so i'm giving in.
i've heard all this stuff about how SUPER hummus is, so i'm going to try it.

except -- i don't know where to begin! i'm just going to start off with some store-bought stuff (no homemade yet), but there are so many flavors and blah blah.
what flavor should i try?

more importantly:: what should i EAT hummus WITH (that won't murder my calories for the day). specific veggies that it's good with? other good dippin' things?

HELP!

Replies

• abbylove08
    Options
    ok, so i'm giving in.

except -- i don't know where to begin! i'm just going to start off with some store-bought stuff (no homemade yet), but there are so many flavors and blah blah.

more importantly:: what should i EAT hummus WITH (that won't murder my calories for the day). specific veggies that it's good with? other good dippin' things?

HELP!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    roasted red pepper
    roasted garlic are my favs...I get the Athenos brand:smile:
  • mslovetoteach
    Options
    I love raw colored peppers with mine or wheat pita chips and costco carries these serving sized containers, maybe 16 in the pack (I believe the brand is called Tribe) and they are super yummy. I love hummus so much that I could just eat it with a spoon! My favorite flavors or either garlic or Emerald Valley has a garlic and jalpeno that is tasty..........
  • REDSOXFAN13
    Options
    I like the garlic or roasted red pepper ones! and hmmm you can dip any veggies in it... or sometimes i like to spead it on a whole wheat cracker and put some veggies on top (mini-healthy sandwich) :flowerforyou: give it a try... (my BF even loves the stuff) :tongue:
  • abbylove08
    Options
    where in the grocery store will i FIND the stuff?
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    Look around the deli/specialty cheese section. Sometimes they keep it near the dairy too.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    ok, so i'm giving in.

HELP!

Abby im an avid fan of humous!!!!:laugh:

Roasted Red Pepper, although the original flavour is just as good. I usually go for the reduced Fat ones..:happy:
    .. have it most days with my lunch - usually a mix of baby sweetcorn, Baby carrots and sugar snap peas..:tongue:
    I love it in a Wholemeal Pitta, with slices of chicken and a crisp lettuce salad.. Thats nice - They do a veggie version with Falafels :D more chick peas!! hee hee :smile:

So thats my take on Humous.. :D
  • Sara31
    Sara31 Posts: 10
    Options
    Baby carrot, raw peppers, and flatbread chips are so good with hummus, also ...roasted garlic hummus is my favorite, followed by plain. i usually cut a bunch of veggies and keep a platter in the fridge for snacking....yummy!
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Sabra roasted red pepper is the best!!! I LOVE it with sliced red, yellow, and orange peppers.
  • Reeniec
    Reeniec Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ok, so i'm giving in.

HELP!

Thanks for posting about this. I felt the same way about hummus until I read this and now I'm going to try it. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like the garlic kind, and I put it on wheat pitas!
  • jsmccloy
    jsmccloy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm a big hummous fan (even if I can't spell it). I like all the flavors, but garlic and roasted red pepper are my favorites. My favorite brand is Sabra. It's so much creamier than most brands, but it's tougher to find, too.
    I put it on sandwiches instead of mayo, it's also good on rice cakes, or with veggie slices (carrots, celery, pepper, etc.).
  • abbylove08
    Options
    bought some roasted garlic.
    LOVE it.

made some chips with joseph's lavash roll ups (1/2 roll up = 25 chips the sie of wheat thins = 50 cals!)
    so i had 1 tbsp of hummus plus 25 chips for a mere 75 cals.

i also bought some carrot chips and sugar snap peas to dip in it.
    hummus is my new bff.

im so glad you MFPers showed me the light!