Tuna Melts... mayo vs Greek yogurt

Options
I love making tuna melts for a quick and easy dinner on the nights where I’m exhausted after work. Mayo packs so many calories.... has anyone tried using Greek yogurt instead??

Pros? Cons?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Somewhat taboo to combine dairy & seafood...unless in Russian cuisine.
    Greek yogurt is generally a pretty good substitute for sour cream & mayo; I would probably opt for a more sour tasting one when using as a dressing (chobani is pretty notorious for being sour vs. say Fage - more bland)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Do you mean to mix with the tuna, or to spread on the bread, bagel. or whatever you're using as a base? Greek yogurt is fine to mix with the tuna, but I don't think it would work that great as a spread (despite the fact that I like it spread on toasted apricot-almond bread and other fruit breads). Unless you toast the bread first? The problem to me is that the yogurt would soak into the untoasted bread before you got the whole assembly under the broiler or in the toaster oven. If I were looking for a lower cal alternative to mayo for a spread in this situation, I would consider reduce-calorie cream cheese (aka neufchatel).
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I’ve done this before and I think Greek yogurt and tuna taste weird together so I’ve never done it again. All you can do is try to see if you like it.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love making tuna melts for a quick and easy dinner on the nights where I’m exhausted after work. Mayo packs so many calories.... has anyone tried using Greek yogurt instead??

Pros? Cons?

Thanks!!

I use mayo. Never tried yogurt and don't think I will.
    Place I used to work made the best grilled tuna sandwiches.
    They grilled the tuna before putting it on the bread then grilled the bread.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i use walden zero cal ceasar dressing for stiff like thus
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    My mother often uses yogurt instead of mayo in tuna sandwiches. She doesn't make tuna melts, I don't know how the heating of the yogurt will changing the yogurt.

I have a fish allergy so you can't ask me directly about tuna. I use yogurt instead of mayo in a lot of foods.
  • fish9283
    fish9283 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been using hummus instead of mayo in tuna sandwiches. I think it would work ok in a tuna melt.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It works fine.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I use mustard as a mayo replacement for tuna (still use a little bit of mayo but not as much) and it works well.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Ive done this plenty of times and have liked it. I just season the Greek yogurt by adding black pepper, garlic powder, etc. I also don’t put too much of it because the texture is obviously different. But overall I think it works fine. And like the other poster said, mustard works great too and I usually add some to thicken it up anyway.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I personally think greek yogurt is disgusting, so that's a big nope from me.

They do make lower calorie mayos though which is what i would go for if I was trying to make it lower calorie. But I really don't use that much mayo when I make tuna/chicken salad so it's not much of an issue for me.
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have used yougurt in cold tuna sandwiches - not sure how it would be hot though. Like another person mentioned, I have used hummus and would think it to be a better sub for a hot sandwich. Now that the weather has turned cold I was just thinking about tuna melts... I was thinking of skipping the binder completely and just letting the cheese hold it all together. Might be worth a try.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    dulinh wrote: »
    I have used yougurt in cold tuna sandwiches - not sure how it would be hot though. Like another person mentioned, I have used hummus and would think it to be a better sub for a hot sandwich. Now that the weather has turned cold I was just thinking about tuna melts... I was thinking of skipping the binder completely and just letting the cheese hold it all together. Might be worth a try.

The bolded is what I do. If it doesn't seem moist enough for you, you could always try using tuna packed in oil instead. Or just use a lot less mayo and let the cheese make up the difference.
  • FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I often mix 50/50 Greek yogurt and mayo for tuna and chicken salad -- lowers the calories without losing the taste and texture of the mayo, which I like. Greek yogurt holds up better in heat than regular yogurt, so I think it would still work for a tun a melt.