Hashimotos / underactive thyroid

Options
Hi, just wondering those of you who have hashimotos or underactive thyroid what have you found works for you? In terms of macros etc? Do you feel better eating higher carbs or protein or fat? Have you managed to lose weight? Thanks

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    See your doctor or endocrinologist. They’re the ones who need to be asked this as your insufficiencies can be fixed
  • aimos87
    aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you 😊 I’m seeing my endo tomorrow 🤞🏼
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    For me, eating keto is working. Will it work for others with hypothyroid? I don't know, but it's working for me.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’ve had hashimotos hypothyroid since I was 10 years old, for me personally I find a little extra protein helps how I feel a lot. I DONT do KETO or any particular diet, I try to eat a well balanced diet. Always been a healthy BMI, gained a little weight over the years though but losing was no trouble at all. Look into getting T3 + T4, ask your endo about synthroid and cytomel, the generic levoxy. doesn’t work for many people including me who feel more symptoms like being cold, etc. My endo also suggested I take selenium supplements.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I mainly keep an eye on calories, then protein, then carbs - ensuring I meet the minimum to keep and grow my lean muscle mass and fuel my workouts.

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000, so I keep an eye on my TSH primarily ensuring it's a low as possible (near 0.2), then fT3, fT4, rT3.

I find that keeping a routine holds the best value overall. I stay hydrated, drink 16 oz water 30 mins prior to mealtimes, and get at least 30 mins of cardio in daily.

I've been at maintenance for over three years now.
  • campellone69
    campellone69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s 6 months ago and struggled to lose weight. Dairy and breads seemed to bother me, either making me constipated or extremely loose stools. My endocrinologist suggested going Gluten free and staying away from dairy and soy. I’ve been very happy with the results. I lost 18 lbs in 4 months and feel a lot better. I’m still struggling with what to eat, but I feel better.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed 5 years ago, lost 168lb since then

Making sure I'm adequately medicated and keeping to my calorie deficit have been fine for losing weight

I keep an eye on macros purely because I'm vegetarian and if I don't keep an eye I can end up low on protein if I've chosen high carb/ low protein items (chips/ fries I'm looking at you)
  • evemariepaiement
    evemariepaiement Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’ve been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s 6 months ago and struggled to lose weight. Dairy and breads seemed to bother me, either making me constipated or extremely loose stools. My endocrinologist suggested going Gluten free and staying away from dairy and soy. I’ve been very happy with the results. I lost 18 lbs in 4 months and feel a lot better. I’m still struggling with what to eat, but I feel better.

you can look into AIP diet (Gf and Df) if you want to see if you can heal even further.

It was life saving for me.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and have lost 100+ pounds. I take my meds and the only exercise I do is walking. I should be doing more but that has allowed me to successfully maintain within 10 pounds of my lowest weight. Listen to your doc and take the meds and you should be fine. Don't expect medication alone to make you magically skinny tho. I took my meds for years and didn't lose anyting. I lost weight when I started counting calories and logging.
  • JulieD769
    JulieD769 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto’s, diagnosed a year ago. Started on meds and started losing weight, but all of a sudden I hit a plateau in June. My dose was increased, but probably not enough. I will probably have to go back to doctor soon and may ask to switch to NDT, as the synthetics are making me feel worse and I’m losing my hair. I went gluten free and gave up most grains back in June when my antibodies were getting higher (over 3,000), but I am finding that I don’t feel better at all. I felt better eating everything and staying in a deficit. You will have to experiment and see what works best for you because I am seeing how this disease is different for everyone and what works for me may not work for you. Good luck!
  • aimos87
    aimos87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks ppl😊 my doc put me on meds (every second day) and told me to go GF initially and if no improvement then dairy free 😊
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Wishing you well on the medication.

Going gluten free can take some time to bring any changes, for some it can take 6 months to feel benefits. It can take this long for the problems it creates within someone to be resolved. My experience of going dairy free (for casein a protein) was almost instant though it can take a couple of months to resolve in others. Wishing you all the very best as you work on these eliminations as it is possible to have both. Without allergy/intolerance testing you are best to give each elimination adequate time to show results starting one well before the other so you can know which it is essential for you to maintain.

Regrettably every person can have their own specific set of symptoms/reactions to things so discovering what helps or hinders each of us can be trial and error, person specific. I feel the longer one has had to live with health problem the more difficult it can be to achieve resolution. I hope your symptoms are very recent in origin. You may find the site or book from, Stop The Thyroid Madness, helpful. The site Hypothyroid Mom is good too, there are others, many countries have their national support sites. All the very best.