Being ill and unable to exercise

Options
So ATM I'm battling a cold/flu type thing and finding myself wanting to eat all the things :( however just doing the school run is taking it out of me so my question is... should I force myself to exercise in order to be able to eat more or rest and just try to ignore the hunger/illness cravings?

Replies

• kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to exercise!! I made that mistake last fall with a vicious cold and it prolonged my recovery. I did find it helpful to go for a bit of a walk IF I felt up to it, but nothing strenuous at all. As for the cravings, could it be out of boredom from sitting around while sick? I would try things like hot broth or tea to fill the void.
  • arobey11
    arobey11 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel and rest to fight the illness. If you're hungry, eat and relax. If you're really worried about it, set your calories to maintenance and eat them. I hope you feel better soon <3
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    kdbulger wrote: »
    Don't force yourself to exercise!! I made that mistake last fall with a vicious cold and it prolonged my recovery. I did find it helpful to go for a bit of a walk IF I felt up to it, but nothing strenuous at all. As for the cravings, could it be out of boredom from sitting around while sick? I would try things like hot broth or tea to fill the void.

I think it's partially that but also exercise surpresses my appetite so I'm more hungry on none exercise days but my stomach is rumbling by the end of the night the past few days
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You can exercise when you're feeling better, right now you need to rest and let your body recover.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So, do you exercise because it suppresses your appetite or because it allows you to eat more?

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »
    So, do you exercise because it suppresses your appetite or because it allows you to eat more?
    Both, neither..:/ I enjoy exercise I've got nothing else to do with my day
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would recommend resting, eating at maintenance until you recover. Otherwise you run the risk of making yourself worse and prolonging your illness.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    In your shoes I might not exercise and I would do my utmost to ensure that everything I ate was hitting my nutritional goals. When poorly was when I wanted to curl up under a blanket with a pack of chocolate biscuits - I fight that now and opt for comforting soups. Chicken noodle or chicken curry soup is my go to for colds. Get Well soon
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Another vote for maintenance when ill. Hope you feel better soon.