Getting back to healthy habits and the friends who hate on you for it.

I used to be in phenomenal shape. I worked out consistently and was very disciplined with my diet.

Then, life happened and I fell off the fitness wagon and gained weight and slowly got away from exercising.

For the first time in over a year I’m finally getting back to my routine and focusing on getting back in shape.

Ice recently had two friends make snarky comments. The first one was that when I was at my peak several years ago it was annoying to eat a meal with me because I was so particular and careful about what I ate it made other problem uncomfortable.

The second was as I ordered a salad with grilled chicken hold all the yummy stuff a friend said “well, good for you but I’m still going to enjoy my meal.”

I don’t get it. I never preach or say a word about what anybody eats. Why do they feel like they have the right to try to make me feel badly for being healthy.

Me losing a pound doesn’t mean you gain it. UGH!!

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    smolmaus wrote: »
    countcurt wrote: »
    2. When you communicate (either directly or indirectly) the sacrifice you're making- as in "I ordered a salad with grilled chicken hold all the yummy stuff"- you send a message that you are smarter, more aware, more in control, etc.

Agreed. Looks to me like the snark started here OP! You want people to notice you're "being good" again now or you wouldn't say things like that. Your friend rose to the bait you laid right out for her.

I know how annoying I get when I am still in the first new flush of The Lifestyle Change. Everyone does it a bit. I'm surprised you only got two comments over several years tbh, how do you even remember the first one??

I think she meant the friend remembered how annoying it was to eat a meal with her several years ago.

Still, 2 comments sucks, but let them go. Check your demeanor first. If they still make unwarranted statements, then tell them how you feel.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Honestly, snarky comments are just going to happen, especially if you're drawing attention to yourself. I get very uncomfortable when people comment on my food choices, I believe it is just a self-confidence issue (on my part) that brings me back to when I struggled with disordered eating. So I do totally get why the comments are bothersome. I've found that not talking about "health" aspects of food choices helps avoid judgements for the most part. The ones that cant be avoided were probably going to happen no matter what I ate. If I choose a salad I could get prodded from people who assume I'd judge their meal (I wouldn't) or who tell me I "shouldn't be dieting" (I'm not); If I choose french fries (I do, often, because yum) they would make comments about "where does it go" and "If I even looked at a fry I'd put on 5lbs, not fair". So it's obviously not about me or my choices, it's about them. I'd venture to guess that's pretty true in your situation as well, so eat how you see fit, but also no one else should care about what you're eating, so no reason to being it to their attention with diet talks or making comments about "being good" which suggests that other meals are "bad."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's super hard to lose weight when you hang out with friends.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    When you're making healthy choices, be it diet related, or exercise related, it makes people who aren't doing it more aware of their unhealthy choices.

*kitten* 'em.

I totally agree with this, as I have run into this over and over. So I have declined a few eating out invites, depending on which place my friends decided to go to eat. I have found interestingly that with certain types of places, I get less annoying comments than if we go for instance to a Pasta type place, and I still stay totally away from the Pasta. That always gets comments. But if they choose a seafood place, no comments. Also I have a few friends that also are working on getting slimmer more active so it works better with them.
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    You might find yourself doing other things than eating together. I don't drink. I don't judge or say anything negative about anyone who does. Still, my friends that drink do not feel comfortable drinking around me when I abstain. Therefore, it's rare that I get invited to things that involve a lot of drinking.

I find this to be true and so weird. Last year I couldn't drink because I was on pain meds and an antidepressant. After I got off of those, at a friend's home, I told her I could have wine now. She commended me on still showing up. I was like, huh? Then she clarified that it was great that I kept socializing with everyone even when I couldn't drink. I was just so baffled that SHE cared so much about whether or not I could drink when it didn't bother me at all.

I am sure some people are the same way with food. If they're going to order the lobster mac & cheese, they don't want you ordering a salad, hold everything but the lettuce. It's nothing to do with you per se. It's just how people are wired.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    My take is: if you are a friend, don't you want the best for your friend? When they get better, don't you want to celebrate and encourage them out of love for them. I mean if you don't have a love for your friends and want what's best for them, why are you friends with them.

Now as for me, I don't talk about what I've done to lose over 40 lbs and go from a 41" waist to a 36 inch waist. And I order however I want in a restaurant. If someone challenges that, they are not going to receive a "nice" response. It's going to be along the lines of "what's it to you what I eat? How bout you order for you and I'll do me?" Needless to say, I don't get those challenges more than once. And if I do, we have a conversation about what it is to be a friend and if we should remain friends. Personally, I would rather have fewer but higher quality, more supportive friends than more friends.

Weirdly, one might think taking this approach would mean I have fewer friends but that is not the case. Healthy connective relationships is just as important an element of a healthy life as having a fit body and good nutrition.

Things I have learned in 67 years of life......
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    You might find yourself doing other things than eating together. I don't drink. I don't judge or say anything negative about anyone who does. Still, my friends that drink do not feel comfortable drinking around me when I abstain. Therefore, it's rare that I get invited to things that involve a lot of drinking.

I don't drink alcohol either and was thinking of that when I read the OP. I'm not going to go to a bar with people when their main activity is drinking.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited October 2018
    When you're making healthy choices, be it diet related, or exercise related, it makes people who aren't doing it more aware of their unhealthy choices.

*kitten* 'em.
    I think the bolded is very true, but I don't have so many friends that I can just say "*kitten 'em*."

First, I try not to talk about it. If asked what I'm going to order, I'll say I haven't decided yet, and return the question. When it's time to order, I give my order directly to the server, as quietly and succinctly as possible: "I'll have the chicken salad, hold all the toppings but the chicken. Thanks."

But that doesn't always work. If my dining companion says something or looks like my food is making them uncomfortable, I'll just be direct and say something like, "You know, I asked them to hold that stuff on my salad because that's not what I want to eat right now. But I figure your food choices are yours, and hey - you've seen enough of my food choices that you know I've got no place judging what anyone else eats. Since we both want each other to be happy and comfortable, let's just enjoy being here together eating whatever we choose to eat."

Of course, this works much better if you actually mean what you're saying. It can be very hard not to judge other people's food choices; but, as some big important famous guy once said, "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

;)

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    My take is: if you are a friend, don't you want the best for your friend? When they get better, don't you want to celebrate and encourage them out of love for them. I mean if you don't have a love for your friends and want what's best for them, why are you friends with them.

Now as for me, I don't talk about what I've done to lose over 40 lbs and go from a 41" waist to a 36 inch waist. And I order however I want in a restaurant. If someone challenges that, they are not going to receive a "nice" response. It's going to be along the lines of "what's it to you what I eat? How bout you order for you and I'll do me?" Needless to say, I don't get those challenges more than once. And if I do, we have a conversation about what it is to be a friend and if we should remain friends. Personally, I would rather have fewer but higher quality, more supportive friends than more friends.

Weirdly, one might think taking this approach would mean I have fewer friends but that is not the case. Healthy connective relationships is just as important an element of a healthy life as having a fit body and good nutrition.

Things I have learned in 67 years of life......

Love your response because it's pretty much my take on the situation as well. Use this advice right here.