New friends... already feel like giving up

2»

Replies

• shubieca
    shubieca Posts: 15 Member
    try2again Actually a guy commented earlier that I was obviously lying to my self and not doing what I say or I would be losing weight but he has since removed the comment
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    And your feelings about the rest of the comments? :)
  • shubieca
    I can do this I have done it before I just get so disheartened as I am really trying
  • mds1207
    mds1207 Posts: 42 Member
    No expert here, but just don't stop trying. I've learned that weight loss is not linear, and that other things (hormones, stress, etc.) can have an adverse effect on the numbers. I can tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach any goal by quitting. A whole lot of people are pulling for you!!!
  • shubieca
    cheryldumais i am looking to lose 28lb
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2018
    shubieca wrote: »
    I can do this I have done it before I just get so disheartened as I am really trying

You can and will do this. That's all you need to tell yourself. No one doubts you're trying or that you have a legitimate Thyroid issue. Anyone that says it's ALL CICO and none of that stuff matters is full of it. BUT, and this part is important, there is a point in which you will eat less calories or move enough and eat enough calories to reach a break even point. The "CO" part just changes a tiny bit for those with thyroid or metabolic challenges.

8 days of really trying is nothing in context. When you start working out again, especially after a break, you gain water weight. That's how your muscles repair themselves. And if you haven't done it in a while, even worse. Have you had DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)? That's a classic sign you're retaining water likely.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Sounds like you're venting because your situation has changed (the added thyroid challenge) and you know, from past experience, that weight loss is never easy. Now it seems impossible. I wish to God docs would stop talking so damn much about thyroid issues. Every overweight person has something wrong likely with their hormones, men included ("low T" anyone??). Docs have figured out this is a HUGE money maker. It also instills an attitude of "oh, I'm doomed" in people, which is a horrific outcome.

Thyroid issues can improve. Many times they are affected by what you've eaten, your environment and your activity. Some are permanent, some can be changed. But one thing is for sure, you're not alone and you're not too unique to lose weight. The great news is you've done it before. You're thinking way too much. Make it simple. Just change one thing a month and really focus on that. I'm a huge believer in that. People try to change 3, 5 or even 10 things at once. Start with one habit that is your biggest hurdle, whether that's logging everything you put in your mouth or just moving daily, work on that one thing for a month. Then tackle something else on top of that. Most of all, believe you can do it. You've done it before and others have too in your situation.
  • megardner1
    megardner1 Posts: 7 Member
    yeah when do you weigh yourself? its best to weigh first thing in the morning. It's only been a couple of days. you may have lost a pound or some inches and you are unaware so don't be hard on yourself! Maybe you should experiment with your snacks and meals to see what keeps you full longer while keeping it healthy.
  • shubieca
    I have always worked out and never stopped ...when I lost the 75lb in 2013 I used to walk 4 miles a day, thats how I kept it off for nearly 4 years the I am just not able to do that distance anymore as I have a lot of pain from my bad hips I maybe do 1 1/2 miles now, plus I am on my feet all day at work and so it has crept back on since becoming Hypoglycemic and my Thyroid quitting on me 30 lb of the the weight came back on last year..
  • shubieca
    I know it it takes a while to show results just so shocked that I hadn't even remained the same.. as I am trying so hard ..would have just given me that little bit of of a push that's all...don't worry I have got this !! :) just gonna take a lot longer than it did before that's all
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    jdsass82 wrote: »
    Only eating 1200 calories might be too low for you. There are lots of people who put on weight when they are eating too little.

shubieca, Obviously, there are mixed feeling about this. Either way, eating too low is not a good idea, especially if you are trying to lose a small amount. I would suggest seeing where you would be at .5 lb - 1 lb/week for a few weeks and get use to that. then if you want to ramp it up again and try do it. You may have better luck.

Don't give up. Keep trying. If it continues to fail, maybe talk to a doctor or nutritionist and see what may be wrong. Perhaps you are missing something in your plan that's causing problems. Best of luck!
  • try2again
    Generally, once your thyroid is being correctly treated, it shouldn't be much of an issue with weight loss. Is your doctor still experimenting with your levels, or have they found the right dosage?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    I am definitely not lying to myself or Fitness pal !

I didn't see where anyone suggested this. It's been one week. A person's body weight is not a stationary thing- it's constantly fluctuating for various reasons. Sometimes those fluctuations mask fat loss. Wait 4-6 weeks to get a true picture of what's going on. If you started exercising just this past week, that's likely the culprit in this particular fluctuation. Your body retains extra water for muscle repair when you begin a new exercise routine.

BTW, 1200 calories is likely too steep and unnecessary for you, and is asking a lot for the long haul :( Did you enter your stats in MFP and choose a reasonable weekly weight loss goal (only 2 lbs/week if quite obese)?

it looks like from another post that she has 17 pounds to lose. So she should have it in for only losing 1 or only 1/2 pound a week
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Same for me. Lost 60 lbs before then lost myself when my life changed. Now I'm back getting 20 lbs off...need friends on here to help!
  • shubieca
    wizzybeth looking to lose 28lb not 17 :smile:
  • try2again
    wizzybeth looking to lose 28lb not 17 :smile:

So definitely not more than 1 lb/week. What do you have your profile set up for?