go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Probably take a bath with 100 dollar bills
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Statistically speaking if you didn't get attacked by a shark this year you have no chance to win this lottery drawing.
    What about struck by lightning? Isn’t it a better chance of getting struck by a bolt than winning the lottery?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/canadian-mans-lottery-win-lightning-strike-26-trillion/story?id=32590554

7ziisrfzzc25.png
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    Statistically speaking if you didn't get attacked by a shark this year you have no chance to win this lottery drawing.

This is not how statistics work.

How many lottery winners have been bitten by sharks ?

Just ribbing your word choice, I get your point

how does being attacked by a shark make u win lotto tho?

Have you ever had something happen to you that is extremely rare? The joke is to play the lottery if something like that happens because you are hitting the odds, so one should ride the streak. It's a way to to look at the bright side if something rare and bad is happening to you.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    If that would ever happen, I wouldn't do anything with it for the first year, except maybe pay off my mortgage, because FU bank, maybe I don't want to pay you that extra interest for the year. That would give me time to seriously think, and I also believe it's the sane thing to do. One needs to ease in this kind of a reality. Most people who find themselves in an extraordinarily fortunate new financial situation end up depressed, dead, robbed, indebted, or back where they started.

The biggest win would be being able to do what I do, but without the pressure and the less pleasant, quick-and-dirty work that needs to be done because you also have to eat. Take money out of the equation and I could just... work on the projects that I like. I'd love to work voluntarily on capacity building with local administrations. Most of those who need it cannot contract this kind of expertise and it's a shame. I'd also like to finance participatory budgeting for a few cities. And space travel and missions on Mars. We need that.

Then, there would be another concrete thing for which I would like to use those gazillion dollars, and that is real estate. Both as an investment for the people dear to me, as well as... well, development! Also maybe a couple of second (and third) homes in some places, one of them completely self-sustainable... somewhere warm and tame and far, far from the Deveselu missile shield.

There's a lot of things I know people around me need, and I would take care of that. In a way that does not go back to me. It's better that way and no, not for the unsung hero feeling.

THEN I would like to invest in:
    1. A place in one of those super high-level anti end of the world secret bunkers
    2. Premium cryonics services
    3. Shares in a few companies, including SpaceX and Neuralink if they're ever listed
    4. Trades and traditional manufacturing which are barely extant now anymore and which deserve a lift back
    5. Education, specifically labs, tech and instruments for praxis in a number of technical universities. At least here, we NEED that dearly.
    6. Promising cancer research
    7. Promising full-flavor, zero-calorie icecream research
    8. My own chef
    9. My own proper gym
    10. So many black cats
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i think it'd be pretty cool to just take the money and move far away from everyone i know and establish myself somewhere new.

but i'd have to create a plausible story that i was someone that worked hard to actually earn the money, retired early, the whole 9 yards basically

because then i could go around telling everyone i meet that isn't rich how they could do it too if they just worked harder and how we all have the same 24 hours in a day.
  • lililomo2
    lililomo2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    canada's lottomax is big this coming friday.but the US one is bigger and i think there's the tax business going on with that. so i'll just pretend about the american one . ;)

i'd set my kids up for life, invest wisely, buy the BH and me a simple house but with the massive kitchen of my dreams. i'd buy a house for my best friend who is still renting, pay off the mortgages of the other friends, buy a simple suv with heated seats because canada. i'd buy a reasonable condo in another part of the warmish world. the BH would retire obviously so we could travel whenever.

i'd buy/create affordable rental apartments for those who are struggling in our city to find such homes. find a way to FINALLY get the Shoal Lake first nation some potable drinking water. create another emergency shelter for the homeless. build a shelter for abused women and children. and last but not least - pay researchers who are interested in curing cancer in a holistic manner without involving big stupid Pharma.
  • servant2you
    servant2you Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My problem is that if I won I would give most all of it away. Get debt free then give anonymously to people who truly deserve it.