Over on macros but under on cals

Options
OK all my fellow MFP stars.....please help. If you are counting calories while watching your big three macros + sodium, what is the general opinion about being under your daily calorie goal but being over on your macros/sodium? Please advise.
Thanks.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    Being over on individual macros isn't a big deal. Calories are King for weight management.

I focus on hitting or exceeding my Protein and Fat goals. I don't worry about being over on those.

Salt I try to watch as it can cause health problems for me long-term. So I try to keep it around 2500.
  • sgasales1954
    sgasales1954 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try and keep my salt around 2300mg.....how about occasionally going over on carbs?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I try and keep my salt around 2300mg.....how about occasionally going over on carbs?

Going over on carbs is fine (unless your'e on Keto.) The problem I find with too many carbs is that it cuts into my Protein or Fat calories. Not only that, too many carbs make me want more carbs.

When I first started weight loss I was eating way too many carbs. It's a process to bring things in line. One day at a time. It's a bit of a Rubiks Cube.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you are over on all of your macros, but under on calories, this would indicate the you have one or more erroneous entries from the database given that your macros make up your calories...ie carbs 4 calories per gram, protein 4 calories per gram, fat 9 calories per gram.

Your actual macro breakdown doesn't really matter and is a matter of preference...there's nothing magical about the MFP default macro settings...they're just the default.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    OK all my fellow MFP stars.....please help. If you are counting calories while watching your big three macros + sodium, what is the general opinion about being under your daily calorie goal but being over on your macros/sodium? Please advise.
    Thanks.

For weight loss calories are the important thing. You should not really be eating under your calorie goal from MFP.
    Recommended macros from MFP are a guideline. You do not have to exactly eat those amounts. If you are falling very short of your goals then you might want to rethink your food choices. I look at calories and then meeting my protein goal and don't worry much about the rest.

Excess sodium might be important to you if you have a health condition.

• cmriverside
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you are over on all of your macros, but under on calories, this would indicate the you have one or more erroneous entries from the database given that your macros make up your calories...ie carbs 4 calories per gram, protein 4 calories per gram, fat 9 calories per gram.

Your actual macro breakdown doesn't really matter and is a matter of preference...there's nothing magical about the MFP default macro settings...they're just the default.

He didn't say he was over on all of them. But yeah, there are "bad" entries in the database.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

He didn't say he was over on all of them. But yeah, there are "bad" entries in the database.

I don't know how to interpret "over on your macros"...could be one, could be all.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I don't know how to interpret "over on your macros"...could be one, could be all.

That was my initial thought - over on all three macros but under on calories, which obviously isn't possible without erroneous entries. More info is needed from the OP on what they meant.

I get finicky about my macros adding up to my calories within a reasonable margin of rounding and could waste way too much time on it :lol:
  • sgasales1954
    sgasales1954 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually, I am usually about 10% UNDER my custom calorie goal daily but about 10% OVER on my carb goal. Usually my fats and proteins, along with the salt, are right on. I eat A LOT of fresh, single ingredient type foods and very few complex carbs.
  • cmriverside
    edited October 2018
    Options
    . nm. I need to learn to read. :lol:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Actually, I am usually about 10% UNDER my custom calorie goal daily but about 10% OVER on my carb goal. Usually my fats and proteins, along with the salt, are right on. I eat A LOT of fresh, single ingredient type foods and very few complex carbs.

If you aren't eating many complex carbohydrates, what foods are causing you to go over on carbs? Fruit? Soda?

I'm a bit confused about your numbers. If you're going 10% over on carbohydrates, that has to be coming from either fat or protein. If you're meeting both of those and under on calories while being over on carbohydrates, then something is off with your logging.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If over on macros means all 3 while under calories means you have erroneous entries.