recovery shakes?

Options
I feel like I'm missing something important...I see so many people talk about, and drink, recovery shakes after a work out. When I used to think about these, I thought they were for building muscle and were full of calories! Just like I think of protein bars. When I go to the grocery store, I look at protein bars and some are up to almost 300 calories!

I guess what I am wondering is... my thinking must be all wrong, right? I mean if everyone else on here seems to be drinking recovery shakes, they can't be bad, right?

I'm worried this is something I'm supposed to be doing...am I sabotaging all of my hard work by neglecting to drink these shakes?

Please include recipes as well. Thank you so much!

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Make your own protein shake! Premade drinks/shakes are full of crap you don't need!

My recovery shake:
    1 scoop choc whey protein powder
    1cup unsweetened almond milk
    145g frozen berries

Around 200 calories, high in protein, high in fiber, low in sugar.. check my diary "pre/post workout"
  • ksquire
    ksquire Posts: 2
    Options
    Best recovery shake recipe:

1 cup light vanilla soy milk
    1 frozen banana
    1/4 cup frozen strawberries
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder

Simple and tastes just like a milkshake
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you dont really need to take protein shakes if you don't want to. they are much lower in calories than the bars because the bars are usually chockfull of sugar. just make sure that you eat some carbs for energy before a workout and protein after for muscle recovery. ideally within 30 min to an hour after a workout. a protein shake makes it easier but it's not necessary.. You buy the powder, best to buy a really good one, the quality of ingredients is important, check GNC and i think they sell some okay ones at walmart as well. it is a diary protein so if you're lactose intolerant don't get them. they do make vegan shakes that are dairy free but you will have to go to a supplement store to buy them.

Some of them taste good, some not so much. I take a vanilla one right now, BSN Syntha 6, it has a mix of protein and carbs, and i blend it with a cup of frozen strawberries. if you do get them, it's best to blend them in your electric blender with some ice added to the water. but really, they're not that necessary unless you get into serious strength training.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, recovery is an important part of exercising! You should make sure to get a good recovery meal or drink after any heavy cardio or strength training. Whey protein is most popular and ideal because it's fast absorbing and gets to work on those muscles right away!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about the calorie intake, you can drink one of the best recovery drinks ever.

Scivation's Xtend BCAA's (Watermelon) - 0 calories

Yum!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    First, just because everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean it is right for you (and this is coming from someone who has been drinking Shakeology for a year and a half!). There are all kinds of "shakes" out there and they are by no means equal. Do your research. Find out what ingredients are in each shake that you research. Determine what your body needs, what benefits you would look for from a shake and then determine which is right for you or at least which ones you want to try.

There are plenty of shakes that are not healthy for you at all. And then there are those that are nutrient dense, natural and made from whole foods. Again, do your research.
    Good luck:drinker:
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I use 1 scoop Isopure zero carb protein powder, a banana and 1 cup skim milk in a blender with ice. It comes out to 300 calories, 40 carbs, 36 protein, 1 fat and 4 fiber. I drink this right after a workout and replace my breakfast with it. I usually only drink this after high aerobic workouts or weight lifting.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    P90X Results and Recovery is one of the best on the market. It has a #:1 carb to protein ratio, which is ideal (ISSA recommends 4:1 to 2:1).

I know it really has helped me when I lift or do high intensity cardio. Feel free to message me for more info :)
  • Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I drink the P90X Results and Recovery Formula after every workout. I have a good article written by John Berardi entitled "The Importance of Post Workout Nutrition" that I can email you. It describes the "Window of Opportunity" for repairing your muscles and the right combination of carbs to protein.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Save your workout drink for weight training, interval, and endurance training lasting 45 minutes or longer.

"Casual exercise like walking the dog, moving cobblestones for grandpa, or riding your bike to the arcade doesn’t require a recovery drink.

When performing energy expenditure work to burn energy or lose fat, a recovery drink is not necessary. If you’re prioritizing fat loss, performance and recovery from these sessions are not as important as creating an energy deficit.

Still, if overall energy intake is low from food intake, and lots of time is being spent performing energy expenditure work, consuming a branched chain amino acid (BCAA) supplement might be helpful."

For a more in-depth explaination and answer to your question, I would refer you to the following article from Precision Nutrition:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/about-post-workout-nutrition
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    We use the P90X Results & Recovery formula. It tastes like an Orange Julius...just shake it up with water and youre good to go :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com/

Wonderful for me after a hard session :D
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Muscle recovery shakes after workouts are great!!! I drink vi shape nutritional milkshakes twice a day. They are packed with nutrition but only have 90 calories, 1 fat, 7 carbs, 1 sugar.  I mix mine in a blender with milk, juice, or coffee,  ice and cocoa powder, peanut butter, pudding powder, and/or extract flavors. Sweet cream flavor only!!!!!!!!!!
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I invented my own recovery shake... I love it! I only use this after hard workouts/long runs, though. If I'm working out for 30 minutes or something, I don't make it. I'd say 60+ minutes is usually when I will make the shake, or if I do a lot of strength training/weights stuff for a shorter period of time.

1c fat-free chocolate milk
    1 frozen banana (put it in the night before - peel it first!)
    2 tbsp flaxseed meal
    2 tbsp wheat germ
    1 scoop whey protein powder
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    (if I have some at home, I'll add a cup or two of baby spinach for extra nutrients - you can't taste it!)

Blend and enjoy! It makes about 14 oz of chocolatey banana goodness... the frozen banana gives it a milkshake consistency. It's fantastic!
  • JosalynSmith
    JosalynSmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    People tend to make fun of me when I tell them what's in my protein/recover shakes. But they only laugh because they haven't tried it yet, I promise it tastes really good!

- 1 scoop Isopure zero carb protein powder Mango Peach
    - 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
    - 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
    - 4-6 frozen strawberries
    - 2 cups of baby spinach (this is what people make fun of me for, but I promise you can't taste the spinach)

Enjoy :)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    People tend to make fun of me when I tell them what's in my protein/recover shakes. But they only laugh because they haven't tried it yet, I promise it tastes really good!

- 1 scoop Isopure zero carb protein powder Mango Peach
    - 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt
    - 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
    - 4-6 frozen strawberries
    - 2 cups of baby spinach (this is what people make fun of me for, but I promise you can't taste the spinach)

Enjoy :)

BABY SPINACH! I use it too :)
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You all are the best! Thank you for being so informative and helpful!!
  • bigwill2455
    Options
    I feel I need something after working out, my problem is I have allergies to most anything processed. Thanks to everyone on showing how to make your own.

Any tips on low calorie snacks that are rice, gluten, free?

thanks y'all

Will

39951621.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter