Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
Makes 4 sandwiches

ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 1/2-inch slices eggplant (about 1 small)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
8 slices whole-grain country bread
8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
4 thin slices red onion

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
3. Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
4. To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 337 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 659 mg sodium.
Nutrition bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Selenium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/detail.php?id=417

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Makes 4 sandwiches

ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    8 1/2-inch slices eggplant (about 1 small)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    8 slices whole-grain country bread
    8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
    1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
    4 thin slices red onion

1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
    2. Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
    3. Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
    4. To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 337 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrate; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 659 mg sodium.
    Nutrition bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Calcium (25% dv), Selenium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
    2 Carbohydrate Servings

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/detail.php?id=417
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Thank you! last week I ordered a Grilled eggplant panini*I was trying to be good* I got a greasy piece of bread almost like a calzone dripping with oil I admit I did eat it. It tasted good after I soaked up all the oil but I know it was sooo bad for me. I decided to make my own from now on. This sounds great especially the roasted red peppers I think you read my mind
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome:bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou: