I have random equipment I don’t know how to use...

kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I have compiled several things I have literally no idea how to use.

I bought an exercise ball because I thought I’d use it as a chair but it’s not a good height for my desk. But it’s still an exercise ball! I just don’t know how to use it.

I also have a pair of 10lb dumbbells and now a pair of 3lb dumbbells. I had the 10lb ones for a while, thought it would be a good place to start but I was told they are too heavy, I got the 3lb ones and I still....don’t really know what to do with them. Other than bicep curls I guess.

I also have several resistance bands from my physiotherapist. One I currently use on a doorknob for upper back/arm strengthening exercises that help my posture. But I have others that were for other things, some tied up supposed to go around my legs when squatting or squat walking, but I’m not instructed to do those things anymore. I have a lighter one and two thicker ones.

I would like to ya know, actually use these things. The only thing I know to do is bicep curls and triceps dips, or the squats with the bands. With the ball, I know we did a thing in gym when I was in high school where we passed the ball from feet to hands and back again. But that’s it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Any suggestions for places to look on what to do with these things would be appreciated. I would like to use them! I’m a bit of an idiot sometimes. (To be fair it was all inexpensive or free...)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Youtube. You can find videos of how to use those gadgets.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    The first thing I would look at is Youtube. You will probably find dozens and dozens of different exercises you can do with those things.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    10 lb weights maybe try Russian twists. (Google it.)
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout
    If you don't have a bench, you can do things like the chest press on the floor.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Do goblet squats with your dumbbells on one leg with the other one behind you on the balance ball.
  • kiela64
    edited October 2018
    Do goblet squats with your dumbbells on one leg with the other one behind you on the balance ball.

That sounds terrifying and dangerous lmao 😂 😂😂
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »

He's kidding.

(At least, I think he's kidding. But then, I thought people were kidding about paddleboard yoga.)
  • kiela64 wrote: »

He's kidding.

(At least, I think he's kidding. But then, I thought people were kidding about paddleboard yoga.)

Idk if he is kidding, that pretty much sounds like a modified Bulgarian split squat.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    FitnessBlender (on YouTube as many people have said) have lots of videos with dumbbells, some with exercise balls. I haven't checked for resistance band because I don't have those but it's totally possible they have that as well.
  • kiela64
    joinn68 wrote: »
    FitnessBlender (on YouTube as many people have said) have lots of videos with dumbbells, some with exercise balls. I haven't checked for resistance band because I don't have those but it's totally possible they have that as well.

Thank you! :) I’ll check them out!

musicfan68 wrote: »
    The first thing I would look at is Youtube. You will probably find dozens and dozens of different exercises you can do with those things.

FWIW guys I did figure YouTube would have stuff I guess I meant I was looking for recommendations on what would be good/safe/useful for beginners. I know there are some exercises that aren’t recommended for idiots like me that don’t know what they’re doing & stuff like that. Maybe I was a little vague sorry!
  • kiela64
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3-day-full-body-dumbbell-workout
    If you don't have a bench, you can do things like the chest press on the floor.

Thank you! Yes, no bench but lots of floor. 🙂
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Just a caution - Self-designed strength workouts usually end up imbalanced, so it's best to follow a complete program designed by a pro.. or at least use it as a framework and make substitutions as necessary.

Also, if your physiotherapist told you that a 10 lb dumbbell is too heavy, it might be wise to ask them what exercises you should do.

To answer your Q - that equipment has countless uses, for a variety of goals & abilities. For example i've trained coordination & reaction time by throwing a tennis ball at an exercise ball so it bounces back unpredictably and i have to catch it. It's a fun game. :+1:
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Who told you the 10lb dumbbells were too heavy? I mean, are they?

Either way, I'll yet again suggest YouTube. Don't sell yourself short - you probably know more than you think! Just watch some videos and you'll get an idea of what you can and can't do (for now). Keep in mind that the equipment you have is quite versatile and you can keep progressing by learning different and more intense exercises as you go along.
  • kiela64
    edited October 2018
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Just a caution - Self-designed strength workouts usually end up imbalanced, so it's best to follow a complete program designed by a pro.. or at least use it as a framework and make substitutions as necessary.

Also, if your physiotherapist told you that a 10 lb dumbbell is too heavy, it might be wise to ask them what exercises you should do.

To answer your Q - that equipment has countless uses, for a variety of goals & abilities. For example i've trained coordination & reaction time by throwing a tennis ball at an exercise ball so it bounces back unpredictably and i have to catch it. It's a fun game. :+1:

Thank you! I guess my goal is general improved functional strength and fitness? I've seen lots of programs and I haven't seen anything that I understand or that appears to be remotely do-able with what I have. Lots involve things like jumping jacks or lunges I'm supposed to avoid, or involve things like push ups and pull ups that I'm just flat out not able to do. Since I don't really know what's behind each exercise's inclusion, it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to just do part of a program?

My physiotherapist didn't tell me it was too heavy, that was my boyfriend. He says that he started with 3lbs and I should too, and since 3lbs were free off kijij & I could carry them home in my backpack, I acquired them. I don't know if he's right, but it was free.

My physiotherapist has only said to avoid lunges, jumping, running/jogging, and twisting. She's not going to design a program for me beyond the necessary injury prevention/recovery for my knee (I know this because I started by asking her this question and that seemed to offend her & she just said anything avoiding these things is fine lol).

• kiela64
    edited October 2018
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Who told you the 10lb dumbbells were too heavy? I mean, are they?

Either way, I'll yet again suggest YouTube. Don't sell yourself short - you probably know more than you think! Just watch some videos and you'll get an idea of what you can and can't do (for now). Keep in mind that the equipment you have is quite versatile and you can keep progressing by learning different and more intense exercises as you go along.

My boyfriend told me that they were too heavy to start with and I wouldn't get form correct, and would probably injure myself. They are heavy for me, so maybe getting postures correct that might be true. But I can pick them up. If I do like 10 bicep curls with them I'll feel it the next day. The 3lbs feel kind of like nothing lmao. When I used to use the machines at a gym I used to go to, I used the 15lb setting for the bicep curl machine, although that was seated and likely different from dumbbells.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    kiela64 wrote: »
    I've seen lots of programs and I haven't seen anything that I understand or that appears to be remotely do-able with what I have. Lots involve things like jumping jacks or lunges I'm supposed to avoid, or involve things like push ups and pull ups that I'm just flat out not able to do. Since I don't really know what's behind each exercise's inclusion, it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to just do part of a program?

There are easier substitutions for almost all exercises, once you find the reason they were included in the program (sometimes there's no good reason.. especially the lesser programs). In my profile is a program you should be able to do, mostly. Let me know if you need substitutions. Consider getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 15 lbs each hand, so can progress, and do it in small increments. You can find dumbbells at thrift stores, craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc. In the mean time, try making your own weights from household items (gallon of water = 8 lbs, etc). :+1:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    edited October 2018
    I second fitnessblender! On their website they also have a search function where you can select the equipment type to use.

Regarding the weight of the dumbbells, it totally depends on the exercise you are doing if your 3/10 pound ones will feel heavy or not 😉

I have some adjustable dumbbells that go up to 10kg (~20lbs). It takes a moment to swap out the discs, but I still do it all the time. For a "bent over triceps extension" (https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/standing-bent-over-one-arm-dumbbell-triceps-extension) I need something lighter than for biceps curls, and for squats or lunges I can handle something heavier. I'm pretty sure you can find exercises for both your weights to challenge you.

eta: some examples of videos using dumbbells that I like to do:
    https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/total-body-strength-workout-for-people-who-get-bored-easily-total-body-burnout
    https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/build-a-booty-workout-strength-and-pilates-workout-for-butt-and-thighs
    https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/upper-body-and-abs-workout-compound-upper-body-workout-for-strength-and-coordination
  • kiela64
    I second fitnessblender! On their website they also have a search function where you can select the equipment type to use.

Regarding the weight of the dumbbells, it totally depends on the exercise you are doing if your 3/10 pound ones will feel heavy or not 😉

I have some adjustable dumbbells that go up to 10kg (~20lbs). It takes a moment to swap out the discs, but I still do it all the time. For a "bent over triceps extension" (https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/standing-bent-over-one-arm-dumbbell-triceps-extension) I need something lighter than for biceps curls, and for squats or lunges I can handle something heavier. I'm pretty sure you can find exercises for both your weights to challenge you.

eta: some examples of videos using dumbbells that I like to do:
    https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/total-body-strength-workout-for-people-who-get-bored-easily-total-body-burnout
    https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/build-a-booty-workout-strength-and-pilates-workout-for-butt-and-thighs
    https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/upper-body-and-abs-workout-compound-upper-body-workout-for-strength-and-coordination

Thank you so much!!! That sounds awesome that you can search by equipment 😁 and thank you for the examples ❤️❤️
  • Catachrest
    Catachrest Posts: 1 Member
    Nothing helpful to add, just thank you for this thread because I am in a similar boat - not with having exercises nixed by a physiotherapist, but with having equipment I don't know how to use, finding some premade programs unattainable or beyond me (at this point), and not feeling sure how to get started. This is really helpful!
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Hasfit.com have exercises you can search by equipment and experience eg beginner, intermediate and advanced also by time